Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-23-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
i was wonding if i'm the only one that thinks there are certain songs you shouldn't have blairing from your tower speakers? stuff like

celine dion?
boy bands etc?

what kinds of songs do you play?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-23-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
i think songs with extreme cursing are partly why wakeboarders with tower speakers are considered an enemy of public water ways.

i will proudly blair safety dance this summer
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
The only thing I would consider unacceptable is music with large amounts of cursing or bad content. I'd only like people to use a little judgement with music when there are kids and family around.

Other than that, blast what you want, even if it is Celine Dion.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-23-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Nothing gives wakeboarders a bad name more then blasting the F bombs in the music. Total disrespect towards all the families out having a good time with little kids.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-23-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
There were people bumpin the bee gee's on one of our lakes this summer.

the whole night fever album, it was hilarious
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-23-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
i couldnt agree more. I hate it when I have a youngin in the boat and all I hear is f this and f that. Chances are your not cool anyways.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
my dad is terrible.
he always blasts nelly fertado, mariah carey, and the smoothest of the smooth Mr Kenny G, hhaha

i think that is unacceptable

nothing wrong with a couple f bombs in the music, unless it is super clear and constant.

when i ride i listen to No Cash and Leftover Crack, but you cant really notice the swearing

Kenny G FTW!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-23-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
eh, let 'em play what they want IN THEIR BOAT. who are you to say what's acceptable or not? tho, i've been known to give wes crap for playing the same cd for 2 years.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-23-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
Yes there is "boat music" and "not boat music"; different for every one. For the swearing...who cares. Age plays a factor.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-23-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
"who cares" ...that's the type of bs attitude that gives us all a bad name.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-23-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
Almost threw a girl off my boat for swithin my playlist to Justin Timberlake. As far as swearin...if you think your kids are going to grow up and not hear it think again.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2007, 10:35 PM Reply   
Ewing, JT was a must have on the boat this year. I heard it everytime i was on berryessa this year.

oh that rossi....
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-23-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
The crazy thing is you still call Josh all the time to ride, Mitch!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2007, 11:07 PM Reply   
scott, i never said i didnt like it. it wouldnt be the same with out it
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-24-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
The final countdown by Europe is always a good way to start a sesh.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-24-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
Shaun your showing your age.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-24-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
i agree nothing gets me more pumped to ride than hearing that "IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN" puts a smile on my face and gets that blood pumping
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-24-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
Disco is great to play loud! The girls usually get up and get dancing. I really want to get one of those pole dancing poles for the boat.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-24-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
My kids love when I play some "hair band" music...they tend to scoot down behind the tinted windows, I think they are trying to hide.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-24-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
Shaun,
I am in that age too... Final Countdown Rocks...plus a little Van Halen..JUMP
THis summer, I found a bunch of popular rap type songs on a download site that were all instrumental..
I like the beats and the music and can do without the blaring f bombs and such.. Really enjoyed the instrumentals of the raps..
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-24-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
Top Gun soundtrack for the win!
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-24-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
Lou-
So tell me you do not play any music that has a parental advisory warning stamped on it, or any music with f-bombs?
Whats that leave you with Christian rap groups, soft pop,maybe some jacko?
"who cares" attitude is that I have more important things to worry about than music with swearing. (believe it or not, I am respectful and do, and do not play certain music in certain situations)
And for the giving us a bad name; Speak for yourself.
Dont call me out, add something useful to this thread....
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-24-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
I think all music isn't bad, just don't play offensive music and one that would offend people.

remember you are heard my many others, if you want to enjoy the waterways...please be respectful.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-24-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
Tennessee passed a law the past couple years that says if you can hear the music more that 50 feet from a car or boat it is too loud. One of the main reasons is the disrepectful music full of f-bombs and the n-word.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-24-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
Man I rolled up on a boat full of high school kids a few summers ago (kids I know mind you that live on the lake), just a bunch of hacks behind the boat. They where just banging Luda's Album Chicken and Beer, specifically the song where they chant "F-you" for the chorus, in there LSV. I asked WTF they where thinking, then we got into an argument about the fact they can play anything they want. I told them that if they wanted to show off to he ladies, they should just get better at wakeboarding. Well one thing lead to another, they poached out line, and then I went nuts. There rider fell, I did a power slide spray down of the boat, had my driver turn around got whipped at there boat, landed on the swim platform, torn my board off, hoped in the boat ejected the disc and threw it in the water. Sooooo, I after the craziness, I said all I wanted was a little respect out here. The kid who owned the boat got a little lippy, so I proceed to tell him that I would go inform his parents that their boat was full of underage kids drinking. End of discussion, we have all gotten along great since.

on a lighter note, everyone should listen to Reggae in the boat, it mellows the mood, and brings out the smooooth stylish flow.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-24-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
great story andy...hahaha

i'm with Umali on this one...who gives a damn what other ppl listen to...if you dont like a particular genre of music because of it's content then don't listen to it in your boat...

and what constitutes offensive? anyone, is it strictly curse words or the use of the dreaded "N" word? is it the genre of music in general or is it how loud it's being played?

(Message edited by romes on December 24, 2007)
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-24-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Specifically any music that get the girls dancing is my favorite. Makes any bad day a good day.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-24-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
"Africa" by Toto.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-24-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
That's why I only bump 311 Sublime Beck Weezer and RHCP on the boat
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-24-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
I have video of one of the West Coast Camps coaches riding up the back of the chase boat while "Wheels on the Bus" plays in the background. He, in particular, is very fond of Disney soundtracks as well.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-24-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
Only if it's this version of "The Final Countdown"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8sNoodIDk

Make sure you watch the whole thing, especially you Shaun.
Old     (pete_moss)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-24-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
That was just cruel. To make anyone believe that video actually gets better at the end....that it is somehow worth watching.?? I knew it wasn't going to get better but I watched anyway. I am officially dumber and I can never get those 3 minutes and 43 seconds of my life back.
Old     (dugg_vlx)      Join Date: May 2007       12-24-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
One year I heard "Milli Vanilli" coming from a wakeboat. It was sad.

I prefer "Hungry for Heaven" by DIO. Dio has rocked, for a long long time.
Old     (woundedknee)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-24-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
any air supply or leo sayer would be unacceptable.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-24-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
play what you want but no f bombs. dugg. do you think that the guys playing milli vanilli were just joking? i know that i always mess around with my rider and play some corney stuff to start. have fun with the music but most of all no f bombs.
Old    mendo247            12-24-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
DUDE! You have to crank the Bee Gees! Night Fever soundtrack rocks.
Old     (onlyvdrivescom)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-24-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Its fun to play funny music. Its soo not cool everyone looks. Bahahaha.
Old     (dugg_vlx)      Join Date: May 2007       12-24-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
Man, they played milli vanilli ALL DAY, so I don't think it was a joke. I like to play "Convoy" during dual boat surfing!--along with the theme song to HAWAII 50!
Old     (spade)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-24-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
this has kinda turned into the topic of vest... it doesnt matter, its there boat and there life, anyone can listen to what ever they want.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-24-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8

unacceptable
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-24-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
A well debated topic:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/228080.html
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-24-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
"You can tell by the way i walk im a womans man, no time to talk"

bahaha
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-24-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
So we have Murray to thank for the gayest song ever? That's all we hear whenever Jacob gets his iPod plugged in. Unacceptable. Thanks a whole freaking lot, Shaun... (LOL) Have to listen to stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADCv-n9f_bU just to get that out of my head...

(Message edited by Socalwakepunk on December 24, 2007)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-24-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
I have to say nothing gets me pumped up more than a mix of Pantera, Slipknot, Manson, and Tool there may be an occasional F-Bomb in a couple songs but for the most part it's OK
Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-24-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
so i guess while this thread is still going... anyone have any input on some good songs to play to get pumped up for some riding?
Old     (engloid)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-24-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
I'm sure everybody's kids will be exposed to drugs, but that doesn't mean we like it when it happens, or that we're not pissed off at the person that offers it to them.

Likewise, playing vulgar music is simply disrespectful...regardless of age. Personally, I think that if you consider your environment, and are considerate of others at all times, you're most likely to not ruin somebody else's day.

It's all about respect. If you're in a cove and there's a couple boats together, and a big party going on, I'm sure they won't mind you blaring your radio for a minute. If it's a family that went into a cove to get some peace and quiet for a cookout, it's rude to blare any music.

Those of you that say "who cares" will one day grow older...and more respectful of others.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-24-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
Slightly Stoopid hands down the best boat/ riding music just chill and gets your riding smooth and controlled lol
Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-25-2007, 4:35 AM Reply   
i will agree with slightly stoopid... if im off the water it always makes me want to ride
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-25-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Thanks Engloid. Way to read all the posts.
How about some peeps posting up a playlist?
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-25-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/529737.html?1198623114
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-25-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
I know that my neighbors in Discovery Bay complain heavily about the cursing coming from wakeboard towers as they cruise through the community.

Some of my neighbors will nearly come to blows when this happens and children are on the docks.

I try to not force my crap on others. Civility is not dead within me.
Old    benj_t            12-25-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
hey jo shmoe! that song is definetly unacceptable ahaha.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-25-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
sure some music has some cursing in it, but what can you do? i believe they have every right to listen to it and if you are going to start a fight over it then youre being an even worse example to your little ones. the best thing to do is try drive your boat in a different direction if you dont want your kids listening to that kind of stuff. granted i understand that thats not always possible

i figure its not so much the lyrics that are unacceptable so much as how loud it is.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-25-2007, 11:54 PM Reply   
I half read this thread but I second the Reggae Andy! Thats all we play in Pamela. (The hot blond Nautique with lots o' extra ballast)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2007, 12:24 AM Reply   
That one country song where he says "I'm proud to be an American!" in the most off key way possible.

Every year there are fireworks shows on my lake, and every year we go. Well, four years in a row, we heard that song, blaring from a boat next to us. We're a patriotic family, but that is just a BAD song. One year in particular stands out, because we must have been in the middle of a 200 yard wide hole in the mass of boats. As we sit there, listening to quiet coldplay, somebody comes by, stops their boat 20 feet from ours, in a 200 yard wide empty section of water, and BLASTS that song. It was like the song was following us around...

And while riding? I'd have to say country music in general. ANYTHING is good, except for country. If you're the only one in the area, go ahead, listen to anything you want, no matter the number of F-bombs, or even country included, but when other people come around, it's time to switch to some music that isn't graphic, or just talks about your dog dying, your truck breaking down, and your wife leaving you. When I'm out there, and I hear country, I just go crazy. I swear that sometiems I've wanted to rip my ears off. Country just drives mes crazy.... It might have something to do with my bus driver forcing us to listen to it every morning for 3 years... Anyone else think country is just bad for riding music?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-26-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
If there are other people around of if you are near houses, turn your music down please. Remember the sound carries really well over water.

If you are somewhere out by yourself, with nobody to bother, than anything goes!

(Message edited by timmy on December 26, 2007)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-26-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
$100 fine in Canyon Lake if patrol catches you blasting the F-bomb.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-27-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
After dancing around my house in my boxers to the final countdown, i have concluded that murray is right, that does get you pumped.

god bless you Europe
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-27-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
As I've said before, pro audio is going to bring the law down on boarders hard. Enjoy our musical freedom now boys, because it's gonna be short lived.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-27-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
shaun, i agree, its just when youre tryin to get amped up to ride, mariah carey is no good. its mostly new stuf i dont like blairing out of my speakers, new pop, its terrible, its like theyre testing us 'ok, ill know i have true fans if my lyrics dont make sense, and they still listen to it'
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-27-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
I personally get pumped up when i hear the song New Noise by Refused. Face Down by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus is also a good one. I usualy play music depending on what were doin..and the mood..if were wakesurfing its usually rap or reggaeish music..when were wakeboardin its either hardcore or reggae.

(Message edited by seminolepride991 on December 27, 2007)
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-04-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
Tackleberry- is that enforced in the main part of the lake only? Or the backwater as well?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-05-2008, 12:19 AM Reply   
Nobody likes to listen to my music. They say it is embarrasing. Usually when we launch if it is busy i will put in Backstreet by by by to tick everyone off. i love it though and yes the final countdown by Europe is a great song
Old    sealyon.net            01-05-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Playing foul music loud is no different than someone coming to your table while you are eating. and farting or blowing smoke in your face.
Most of the people that don't mind imposing on others don't like it when it happens to them.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
"nn nn nn nn 19, 19, Vietnam", thats sounds great in a boat.

I think if someone is going to play music loud they should be respectful of others, family etc. Especially when playing lyrics with the F bomb and the N word in it, you should turn it down.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-05-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Cliff, you are exactly right. With some of the attitudes of people on here, I am surprised it hasn't started yet. What makes some of you think that you have the right to blare obsenities out of your boat? Your rights end where mine begin. People just need to be respectful of others. Keep it down if your around campers, houses, families. Likewise, I would never take my kids to party cove and expect people to keep their cloths on.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
"Disco is great to play loud! The girls usually get up and get dancing. I really want to get one of those pole dancing poles for the boat."

For the ultimate in Disco flashback nothing beats Machine Gun by the Commodores.....think of the montage sequence in Boogie Nights.

As for stripper poles, my good friend is renting a house from the owner of stripperpole.com. After I got my boat....he said 'you know what you are getting don't you....'
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-07-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
my boat has no need for a pole, and i usually don't have time to worry about the music...guess thats what happens when you use it for wakeboasrding?

(Message edited by mjmurphy53711 on January 07, 2008)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-07-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Saga "On the loose" & "Wind him up"
Grand Master Flash "White lines" is also pretty good crisp bass song.
I know thats old stuff, but so am I.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-07-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Our boat has no speakers....
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-07-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
norco is 100% right with the top gun soundtrack.

Andy is right with the reggae comment. john brown's body, groundation, eek-a-mouse, 10 ft. ganja plant, michael franti, roots radics are all great reggae bands.

matt b. knows where its at with slightly stoopid.

I like to blast some kelly clarkson or other "totally awesome" tracks on a busy weekend cruise to get the young ladies jivin'. it always puts a good vibe out. i know everybody knows the words to that song. ha
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-10-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
i got down to andy's post about the high schoolers and stopped reading.

HE'S RIGHT!!!! REGGAE MUSIC PLEASE!

Also, here is a thought. I think that a simple switch for tower speakers would solve quite a few problems. Just switch off the Tower speakers when your chillin and playing whatever you want, provided your not pulling up to a public gas station, restaurant, etc. I also think that people should be somewhat conscious of what they play when blasting the tower speakers. An F Bomb or two isn't bad, but a song filled with them with all the people who own property on the lake can be uncalled for. AGAIN, REGGAE MUSIC PEOPLE! IF YOU WANT TO GET PUMPED....DO WHAT I DO..... ROCK PUNK MUSIC!

-Nate
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-11-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
Once upon a time I thought I was cool like Jason (azpowerhouse). I was into me and thought older people were just too uptight. I vowed to keep it real no matter how old I got. One day I got married, had kids and discovered what a fool I was. Life is funny like that.

Recently, I discovered there is nothing more embarassing and difficult to explain to a four year old girl then why she can't drop the f-bomb in front of her pre-K teacher. I have no idea where she picked it up, but I am very grateful for all the people out there who don't give a crap about my kids. That is really helpful . . .
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-11-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
Chase, when my daughter had that issue I told her a brief history of swear words and how silly it is that we as a society still have an aversion to those words. I explained that yes it was silly to get in trouble for using those words but it will upset people who really don't understand why it is they don't like the words. That really appealed to her and solved the issue. It took away the mystery and wonder of the words while making her feel smart for her natural reaction of not being upset by the words.

That being said, I still don't particularly appreciate songs with obscene language being blasted out over the lake. Not so much for the swear words as for the context of those words.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-11-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
I am going to have to write that down dante.

Well, maybe cut and paste.

(Message edited by psudy on January 11, 2008)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-11-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Seems in my experience... people who use swear words (a lot) don't have much of a varied vocabulary for expression. The lack of imaginative vocabulary for expression (or mocking others if you will) can be just as offensive or more (or embarrassing) as the meaning of the words.
A good example is people who love to use the "F" word for their favorite adjective and adverb... and verb and noun for that matter too ;)

"The F-Bomb is mightier than the S-word"
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-11-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Side Note:
The fact that sound carries so well across the water only makes matters worse. You can hear an average day conversation from the other side of a lake if all is quiet (except for the people in conversation of course)
in this respect the law mentioned above for... whatever state i forget... about music being heard from 50 ft would make playing any music over speakers "illegal" especially since boats are not closed in like cars are
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-11-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Just don't play any Creed and we'll all get along.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-11-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
To: wakeboardSTL and everyone else,

Here is another live performance of THE FINAL COUNTDOWN that is performed by a secondary band that is more humorous and entertaining and more importantly More Endurable... but still no one has to watch it through, but at least take a peak

http://glumbert.com/media/countdown

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-11-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
FYI Apocalyptica is better, a band that plays metalica songs and such on cellos.

Hmmmm there is an idea, Blast Apocalyptica and anyone who complains about the "heavy Metal" just tell em it is "classical instruments" playing (no words period to complain about and still pretty good "rock") BOND is not too bad either, and will especially appeal to the guys considering it is a bunch of hot chicks playing "hard violin and cello rock"

Apocalyptica samples
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aFW7oTEqKgc&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OGnAzkh9kn0&feature=related

BOND samples
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xf-ge421Vt8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=afgSUDS7djY&feature=related