Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I just watched the video on the finals runs for the Pro Women and I'm completely blown away that Nicola took 2nd to Emily. I'm not taking anything away from Emily because shes badass, but Nicola killed her run. She's got a chance to sweep the season so in order for her to be beaten, it should have been clear in the passes which this wasn't. Anyone else think she was cheated out of a season sweep?

(Message edited by norcalbordr on July 25, 2008)
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
Funny, I just watched it and was going to post the same thing.
It didn't seem close to me.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-25-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I would agree with that, IMO Nicola got robbed of a perfect season.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-25-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
agreed, Nicola killed it.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-25-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
i was there and it wasnt even close at all. There had to be some behind the scenes things.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
At the PWT?
That's crazy talk.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       07-25-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Robbed. That sucks.

Nicola's run was way more tech, had better amplitude, and she killed the rails. Plus she stood up her run (excluding the double-up).

Does anyone know what the trick order was for both riders...I could watch the video and figure it out, but I'm too lazy! HA!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
I just watched both runs and here's what I could see. Some of the camera work was a bit tough to tell.
Emily Pass 1
Scarecrow-Fall
Funbox transfer frontside boardslide
Indy TS Backroll
HS backside 3
TS backside 1

Pass 2
TS Frontroll
Wrapped KGB
BS boardslide A-frame
TS 5
Roll 2 Blind
Tootsie Roll-Fall

Nicola Pass 1
Indy Glide
TS Frontroll
Roll 2 Blind
FS boardslide A-frame
Batwing
HS 3

Pass 2
Whirly
Scarecrow
FS boardslide 270 off A-frame
Wake 2 Wake Stalefish grab
Funbox transfer
HS Indy 1
HS blind 1

Only thing I could see is the 2 W2W jumps for Nicola might have made the judges think twice, even though her run was the best.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Nicola won 3 of the 5 disciplines. If she had done something simple like a tantrum or backroll before the transfer box she would have won tech as well and won. Or she needed to do a heel 5 or backside 3 at the end instead of a backside 180. She miscalculated what she needed.
I thought she had won on the day. But she didn't and life goes on
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       07-25-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Yea...I think back 3 and the 5 must have swayed them...But...You know the saying...Spin to win.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-25-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
She was very close, but the two straight airs or 180's were what killed her. I don't think there's any question that on any given day Nicola can go out there and rule it. I just think that her pass was a bit mis calculated.

The BS3 and TSBS1 helped Emily to the victory. All in all, very close.

Nicola is going places though. She is one of the few female riders that truly is fun to watch ride. She goes huge.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Where are the vids at?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
I still think Nicola won it. That last backside 180 was grabbed then turned, much better then Emily's backside 180. Nicola should have had a perfect season.

That said, I think Emily is looking good.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-25-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
Either way you have to admit that Nicola's pass was not to the level of what it usually is.

I think it's good... she'll probably step her game up now
Old    K.B.C.            07-25-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Emily's back 1 was toeside, Nicola's was heelside. I was there, they both killed it.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-25-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
She's still the most likely candidate for an undefeated season and there's always next year...and I bet she doesn't take 2nd over a miscalculation on her run again.