Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-18-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
How do you know when it's time to wetsand? It's an '85 2001 and now that I've got it running right it's time to make it shine again. I've already done the teak (easy) but the gelcoat obviously needs some work.
I've been reading alot and was hoping I could get away a heavy duty cutting/rubbing compound rather than putting sand paper to her. No chalk comes of when it's dry and I can't tell if it's been wet sanded before. I'm worried about burning it or rubbing through the gelcoat as this will be my first time.
Any advice? CCFan.com has tons of info, maybe too much...
Attached Images

Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-18-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
My old boat looked exactly like that but it was black. I hit it with a light rub of 1500 grit and then buffed it and it looked like new. When wetsanding, just try to get the whole boat looking uniform and then hit it with the buffer.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-18-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Check out the DIY section on here good info there.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-18-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282492
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-18-2012, 7:21 PM Reply   
Why are your rear tower legs reversed?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-18-2012, 7:22 PM Reply   
If you use a lil bleach and power wash your rub rail it'll look shiny fresh too!
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-18-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
i did mine 800 first, 1000 second , compound 3rd, wax
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-18-2012, 10:13 PM Reply   
No way it would hurt to try something like the marine "color restorer" rubbing compound from walmart, by hand, or on a buffer....before wetsanding.
If it doesnt' work....move to sanding.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-19-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips.

The tower was like that when I bought it. They are not really reversed, just every one puts them on the same way and this guy did different. I actually preffer them this way, it keeps the tower from looking bloated and being wider than the boat and it make putting boards in the rack much easier.
Old     (PrecisionStorage)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-19-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
You will probably have to wet sand where the old badge was. Use 1500 grit with a foam backer and just go lightly. You can follow with a buffer and some marine/rv cutting compound then polish, then wax.

I just recently detailed a boat at my shop that required just that process:

Before:

After:

The rest of boat I only used cutting compound, polish, then wax to finish. You can see in this picture the left side is done and the right side has not been touched:

Just take your time and use the right products and it will come out great!
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-19-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
That came out great Tyler. Should I use the polisher with 1500 grit over the existing decals or should I go around them by hand. I would try to remove them but those three letters took me about 2 hours with a heat gun.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-19-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
On the plus size with the decals it did give my boat a name, the CORRE RAFT. ie. hardcore wake boat.

Stupid, funny or both?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-19-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
The tower legs that way give you a little more clearance at the dock too.
Old     (PrecisionStorage)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-19-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
I would wet sand by hand, definitely not with a buffer. I know it is pain but in the long run you will be better off taking the decals off. It will be almost impossible to get a clean look inside and around the lettering. With them gone you can get a very clean and even result.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
If you use a strip off wheel the decals will come right off. Here's what I'm talking about. Our local auto parts stores usually have 'em in stock. Good luck!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beRJ5GMFSMV0gl
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-20-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
Thanks philly, I had heard of these decal erasers but couldn't find them anywhere. That link is very helpfull cuz now I know exactly what I am looking for. I really wanted to remove the decals anyway and do something modern. Probably a simple [I]NAUTIQUE across the back and something similar to this decal on the sides, except replace the word "super" with "2001". This would actually be more accurate for the boat since it has a tower and plumbed ballast tanks.
Attached Images

Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-20-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
If you change the decals, you will have some shadowing where the old decals were. I don't know if the wet sanding will eliminate that, but something to consider.

I just had a my boat partially wrapped. Unlimited options for graphics and location. Just another option...

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-20-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
I've been trying to convince my friend who owns a banner company that he needs to get into wraps. I've offered my boat a guinny pig several times but no luck yet.

A guy who works for me just said he would do the boat for $500, that sounds like way to much to me.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-20-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
$500 for a full boat wrap too much???????????????????

That is usually in the 4-5k range.

I am going to do a partial on mine soon and I am hoping to keep it under 1500 I just need to get a better idea of what I want.

As for your buddies business, the 2 wrap shops by me can't even keep up with the workload. TONS of work coming in from huge trailers to cars, boats etc..
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-20-2012, 1:00 PM Reply   
Thanks Cobra, I had two trains of thought going, my bad. My employee was saying $500 to wetsand and polish the boat. I wish I could get a wrap that cheap, I think that $500 would probably only cover material cost becasue I hear the base wrap material for marine application is much more than for autos.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-20-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
Here a couple 2001s with different decals for you to look at.

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-20-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Id say $500 to wetsand & polish isnt bad considering it cost me $185 to have my suv detailed. But isnt that part of restoring a classic boat is doing these type of projects yourself? Just some elbow grease and a 12pack
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-23-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pics, those are great starting places.
How did you get a picture of my wife though?
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-23-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo_Si View Post
On the plus size with the decals it did give my boat a name, the CORRE RAFT. ie. hardcore wake boat.

Stupid, funny or both?
Hahaha Corre means run in spanish so that made me think of a bunch of cubans on the boat trying to escape to florida.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-23-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
that's funny Raf.