Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2005, 8:45 PM Reply   
I'm new to boarding and my crew are as well. I have a group of great friends, but we are all learning to ride. More important, we are learning to drive properly.

Of all of us, I'm probably the best at driving and riding. Unfortunately, my arm was nearly ripped out it's socket today (OUCH!). I kind of got mad at the driver. However, it's not his fault. In fact, it was a combination of the driver punching the throttle too quick and my lack of experience recognizing it and letting go. Of course he felt bad.

Anyways, is there a thread that gives suggestions to newbies to help us get better at driving, as well as how to recognize when to bail if we need to? If not, I'd appreciate any comments to this thread.

Thanks!
Chris
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
I would also like suggestions on the length of the rope for beginners. This appears to be something that needs to be considered depending on the level of the rider.
Old    norcal_dude101            07-10-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
Hey. I'm not sure what lenth should be used but I started on a 50 ft rope.
The driving thing... Just don't run into other people... it kinda makes them angry.
Old    r_dub            07-11-2005, 5:58 AM Reply   
Drive straight, and try to have a consistent speed. Rope length depends on boat/wake and rider ability. Let the rope out until you find a clean (Clean = no white wash) spot on the wake.
Speed also depends on wake shape and rider ability. Basically, it's whatever the rider is comfortable with, and what ever speed the wake shapes up at.
I always tell new drivers the rest the outside of their hand or arm on the side of the boat next to the throttle. That gives them a little more stability, so they don’t just jam the throttle down when taking off or trying to make a speed adjustment.
And most importantly to you and other's wakeboarders, NO POWER TURNS. Meaning, let your boat idle down (Straight) before making a turn to go pick up your rider. Keep your waters calm!
Old     (jhoward)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-11-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
Straight and one constant speed. 18-23 mph. Wife pulls me about 23. I'm also a big guy, which causes the boat to slow down a lot when I edge. I’ve seen the slower you go the bigger the wake. Good luck and just enjoy. That’s what’s really important. How many of us are really going to make it pro. Not me. Would be nice to get paid to board.
Old    wakecastle            07-11-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
I've been riding for just over a year and have adjusted in both driving and riding. At first, I wanted to be pulled up slow, as my skill has increased, I can grab the rope while the boat is moving by me and jump right up. Start off getting up slow...slow throttle. However, when you get up slow it takes more energy. Learning to get up quick with more throttle takes less gas and less energy. Ryan is right on about the rope length. It depends on the individual boat length and your ability. I rode on my Brother-in-law's boat (SAN 210) and he has a very large wake and a 70 ft. rope. I wasn't clearing the wake, so I had him shorten it to 65. As you get better, you can lengthen it out if your wake doesn't wash out that far back.
Old    corkyswx2            07-12-2005, 9:53 PM Reply   
see if you can pick up WAKEBAORDING MAGAZINE vol. 13 no. 5 june 2005. there's a small article on driving properly, plus how to turn back into your wake so you are not causing mucho rollers
Old    alanp            07-13-2005, 6:24 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/240006.html?1121224353
read this thread and then read the links that dave williams posted about being "that guy". that will give you a decent foundation.
rope lengths depend on a number of things, speed youre riding, wake size, and preference. i ride at about 60 feet at 20.5. alot of riders ride much further out at higher speeds. if you wanna ride out as far as possible on the wake you have then
1) bring your boat up to speed
2) then let the rope out to the point just before where the wake starts to wash out(curls over)

however i dont recommend beginners riding at 80 feet and 24-25 mph when they are learning. make it a little easier on yourselves and ride slower and shorter. the falls will hurt less and it will take less effort to clear the wake.
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2005, 6:46 AM Reply   
Appreciate the responses.
Thanks guys
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
Here is a good article.http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/perfectpull.asp