Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-29-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have a Shredstixx custom elevation, I lost a fin, I need some recommendations on a different quad setup from futures.

Something snappy? We have a pretty dialed wave, I only way 150, what do you guys think?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2012, 10:28 AM Reply   
Hopefully Frank posts on here soon. His son Chris (~150lbs) rides a set of Black Stix that he absolutely loves. He said they release better but are still faster. The board looked like it had springs by the way he was popping off the wake when he first tried them out. I forget the model, so hopefully frank can post that up. I am pretty sure they are the Black Stix V2 F4. He also rides different trailers than what Shred Stixx normally sends with boards. They are naturals, but i forget the model.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
Mitch they are the Black Stix Vector 2 F4. The same fins we generally spec for the Pro model. The only difference between the Black Stix and normal composite is the Black Stix's are an RTM with a foam core and carbon fiber, which lightens up the whole fin and changes the flex pattern slightly.
The only down side of the black stix is they do not come as a quad set. For rears you can choose a variety of options. Our riders favorites are the 3.75 QD1 (it has a bit more grab and drive then the 3.75 QD2). For tight rail to rail transitions, many like to go with one of the Pivot rears. The SC Pivot was a favorite of Chase and some of our other riders.

If looking at premium fins, I would recommend the Vector 2 F4 quad set or the Black Stix.

I also strongly advise looking at the WCTs. These are a phenomenal template for the wakes boats produce.

Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
Nice, just ordered a set of the Vector 2 F4's as I was looking to upgrade the stock fins for my Custom as well!
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-01-2012, 6:35 AM Reply   
Joey C,

What fins came with the board, and what do you mean by snap.
Have you Riden the board as a twin?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-01-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkettle View Post
Joey C,

What fins came with the board, and what do you mean by snap.
Have you Riden the board as a twin?
I will look into those wit's

By snap, I mean flex, I really like a springy feel. I have ridden it as a twin and it just felt insanely squirrely.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-01-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
13 is right on the black stixx, the regular v2fa have great drive but keep you locked in.
I am making a set for my comp1 I have, I like the board as a twin and will see how my new quad fins work this weekend. Check my blog or Facebook with updates.
My hockey stick 3" fins have that flex return you speak of.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2012, 3:00 PM Reply   
Chaos thOse wct fins are not sold in quads. Is that correct? If so what site could they be purchased from?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-03-2012, 4:15 PM Reply   
i am guessing you guys run the the twin with the fins in the front location, i have a custom hazen with the stock fins and would also like other options. i want it to loosen up and be faster down the line
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
My experience with twin fins is bad. Too loose for my liking.
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-03-2012, 5:27 PM Reply   
California Marine Sports has Futures available on their website. http://www.calmarinesports.com/wake/...nufacturer=347
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
Doug, if you want faster down the line and looser you should check out the Futures Black Stix Vector 2 AM1. Frank Wolter rides those and at 300lbs he says they are the fastest fin. And they are a bit looser too than the Vector 3/2/1s he was riding before (which are suppose to be really loose)

Like Carson said, CMS has fins in stock on their new website. We only carry the fins that are proven for wakesurfing.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
E, just use the stock rears you have. That's what most riders do. But changing the main fins will do a lot.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-03-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
my 2010 comp 1 made OFFSHORE has 1/2" toe on the front fins, this is what causes the board to be slower then you like, maybe your model SS board has less fin box toe. I dont see any other fins that would help for this board of mine, I only use the Vector2 line of Futures fins , they seem to out perform the flat foil fins like the WCT is, but I have not tried them on fear of wasting money on flat side fins. This is the quad set I made last night , lots of base for drive and no sweep for looseness 4" on front and 2" for rear, foiled on both sides , hope to try this weekend if it doesnt rain. Blue hockey stick fins are 3 " tall and have the snap back that you wanted.
Attached Images

Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2012, 5:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice Mitch.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Neither the WCTs or the BlackStix lines are available in quad sets. If looking to upgrade from stock fins on a Shred Stixx Elevation/Hazen or Pro, the Vector 2 (V2) F4 Honeycomb RTM (honeycomb core, resin transfer molding) are your best option. These are pictured above in the 2012 black graphic version (Futures retail MSRP is $88.00).

If you feel like you want something a bit more springy in feel, then the Black Stix version is one of two really good options (again the F4 template is best, but comes only as a Thruster set, and is more expensive then the plain RTM quad set, at MSRP $98.00). The carbon along the spin on the Black Stix gives them a springy/flexible tip which translates to a pop or springy feel in the water when driven down the line.

I prefer the WCTs in the honeycomb rtm or the TechFlex. The Techflex is more springy like the Blackstix, but with a stiff (carbon inlaid) base and center release. The WCTs have a more or less' flat' foil on the inside, not a "vector' foil (mixture of exaggerated concaves and convexes, that emulates traditional glass-on fins in many ways). The 'vector' foil is believed to assist in speed generation especially in smaller surf. However, with this feeling of generation and improved laminar flow you also get hold and the fins take a bit more push to break free. The WCTs with their 'flat' foil break free more easily and are about controlling speed. The WCTs also differ quite a bit in that they are very straight up and down with very little rake (rake is the tendency of fin area towards the rear). This translates to a very drivey fin that releases quickly for rail to rail transitions. For behind the boat they work best on larger wakes, coupled with the pivot rear fins. (Plain RTM-Rasta retail MSRP is $76.00 for 2012, up $6.00 from 2011; Techflex version is MSRP $84.00). As far as wake surfing related retailers these fins are available on line at the Shred Stixx store or SlayshTank and Cal Marine Sports.
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
Got my new Vector 2 F4 quad set in the mail yesterday - as my first Future Fins purchase, I am very impressed! Even the packaging was cool

I took a few pics of the old and new fins laid over one another to show the difference...looking forward to giving them a try this weekend!
Attached Images

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-15-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
As I will try these my Good man.
Attached Images

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-06-2012, 3:57 AM Reply   
Greg,

What's the verdict on your fin purchase, were they a good buy or a cool Craigslist listing.
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2012, 6:53 PM Reply   
I've only rode the SS once since the new fins, but was definitely more springy off the wave and felt faster (less need to lean forward so much) - a dinged prop and rain had me delayed but hoping to get back out there this weekend and give some better feedback.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
Greg any more news on those fins? Im thinking of snagging some blackstixx....but I'm still hesitant. Sucks living in the desert, no surf shops in AZ with a fin tree!

anyone tried the new V2 YU Quad?

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 06-10-2012 at 7:16 PM.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2012, 8:14 PM Reply   
Joey, I generally do not recommend the YUs. They have a pretty narrow base which makes them pretty loose, but not as drivey. They are good surf fins for smaller riders.