Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-15-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
Okay so it turns right but it's an absolute bear to do it. Turns left no problem....

- Only happens when on a plane
- Doesn't matter if the boat is weighted or not.
- The steering cable isn't bad, I had one go bad on our last boat and this is a different feeling.
- On the trailer the rudder moves easily by hand and using the wheel.
- Not a problem at slow speeds but really just about anything over 20 MPH.
- No visual imperfections or dents on the rudder, prop, skags, etc...
- Prop sounds like its cavitation when I try to turn right

This problem is new as of a few weeks ago. Any idea what I may be dealing with?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-16-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
Just pretend it's Nascar, go fast, turn left, go fast, turn left, etc.

But seriously, probably bad rudder bearing or packing. There should be either a bearing or a bushing behind the seal the rudder shaft goes through, this could have gotten wet, rusty, crudded up which would make it hard to turn. Not sure what boat you have but most are pretty similar. Just pull apart until you find what's bad... But first I'd disconnect the cable and turn the rudder by hand just to be sure. You'll probably feel it not so smooth when turning it right by hand.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-16-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
The rudder moves easily by hand in both directions when sitting on the trailer. I can also turn the wheel easily when at slow speeds. The issue isn't present until 20+ (give or take a few mph). The boat is only two years old with 150 hours on it.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-17-2010, 12:15 AM Reply   
Sounds like a bent scag that would be creating that. If one of them hit something or got bent when it was beached that can happen.
Of course, Cory might be right about the NASCAR thing. Have you been parking next to any Centuriion's with the decal package?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-17-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
DId you pay extra to get the "left foot forward surf edition boat?"
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-17-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
The boat must have been owned by "Zoolander" before!
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
Grab hold of the rudder have someone turn the wheel. If you can hold the rudder the cable holder in back of boat is loose.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-19-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Sounds like a bad steering cable. Depending on which way your prop turns you'll be able to steer the boat easily in one direction and not the other. However, I have had the same symptoms happen on my boat twice. The first time it was the rudder and the second time it was the steering cable.