Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    stillstandin            10-27-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
Anybody know where you can find the invoice of a new boat compaired to the MSRP. I know its easy to find for cars. Looking specificly for the 06 X-30, and XStar. I have a friend that is currently looking at those two boats, obviously he wants to get the best deal
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       10-27-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
You won't find that. Just pay what you feel is a good price. Who cares if the next guy pays more or less.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-27-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
those prices are REAL hard to come by. go on boattrader and see what dealers are selling them for.
Old    xtreme_kc            10-28-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
Most manufacturers provide stiff penalties for advertising anything less than MSRP online. (for good reason)
As a dealer, I can promise you that the marine industry is not played on a level playing field in most cases. Sways of as much as 15% wholesale can exist between what 1 dealer pays for his product and what another dealer does.
Does that mean the dealer who buys the most offers the best deals-RARELY! Does it mean the small dealer who sells 1-15 boats a year is ripping you off-RARELY!
Go with a dealer that you feel good dealing with, whatever he is charging can be negotiated, but it costs more money to be a good dealer than it does to be average.
It burns me up when I get beat up with some arbitrary price, from a dealer that doesn't stock product, and his relationship with the factory is tense at best. The guy has a staff of 3, in a 1,000 square foot mobile store, and has more pro shop that repair parts. How is he supposed to support his customer with an inevitable problem arises?
Your personal choice to make, but I would bet that right before the van guy says "your gonna feel a little pinch" you would wonder if you have made a mistake!
Go with what feels good, work your best deal, and live with it!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-28-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
Dealers have a "deal buster" price for any boat. That price will be based upon his invoice, overhead, profit, and the nature of the customer. If you present yourself as a high maintenance customer or a price bottom feeder, the price will be higher. If you are a good customer and use the dealer for service and the pro shop, then you will get a better price.

Finally, the invoice for a car and the price actually paid for the vechicle with all the hold backs, ad sharing, etc., has little relation to eachother. For most boat dealers, it does. Car dealers have 2-3,000 cars over a year to make a profit, boat dealers have 70-300 boats. Very different.

Obviously, you don't want to pay more than you have to and dealer are not charity cases, but trying to beat them up with invoice will not work. Insider information will not yield the best price, being the best customer will.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-28-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Bob,
I have read your last two posts(don't actually know if they were the last 2, but just recent posts today) and just want to say they have both been impressive. VERY good points in both. Great to have inside people(there are a number on this board) giving what looks to be solid info.
Anyway....
Add....you can add Karl in there as well.

(Message edited by Deuce on October 28, 2005)
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-28-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
Craig, do you advertise your cost on the product you sell? Trust me on this,boat dealers do not make as much money as you might think, after rent/mortgage,payroll,benifits,elec,phone,B&O ,taxes,boat shows etc.Also,if you look at all the boat dealers in the US very few have new state of the art buildings and facilities. Truth is we cannot afford it.Karl and Bob are right on.
Old    stillstandin            10-30-2005, 9:39 AM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with Ski world in Pleasanton??? Good or bad experiences?