Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
i've been noticing quite a few threads lately, here and the other site that when people are looking for a 3rd, they include in their thread that the 3rd must be an intermediate to advance riders.

i understand people want to progress and all, and i firmly believe that if you want to get better, you gotta ride with someone better than you.

but if your search for a 3rd is to the point of having to post, shouldn't you lower your expectations a bit? sure, the 3rd better help out with gas, clean-up, or whatever else the boat owner needs help with, but having to be at a certain skill level? i'm stumped on that one.

i guess i'm stumped cause i suck! and this thread will probably get me uninvited to lots of boats.
Old    sliderfreak            12-02-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
are u talking about the lake meridian washigton thread?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-02-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
I haven't seen that before. But I agree. When I need a third, I don't care who it is. I could care less if they even want to ride as long as they can hold a flag. Depending on who my second is, I may ask that the 3rd have some boat driving experience however. Especially if we're hitting the delta.

Interesting.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-02-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
I haven't seen that before, but that's whack for sure if it's going on. What a snobby thing to do and teach to the kids looking to get into the sport. I'd call jackasses like that out.

I know it's got to be intimidating enough for a younger person to bum pulls off of an older crowd that they've never even met before. Now you're gonna hate on him cause he's not an advanced rider? That's almost as bad as making fun of another riders skills that's on your boat.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-02-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
"i guess i'm stumped cause i suck! and this thread will probably get me uninvited to lots of boats."

What's most likely to get you uninvited is if they find out you don't look anything like the pic in your profile.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-02-2004, 12:11 PM Reply   
Joe - You definitely DON'T SUCK. You pull some stuff out of your bag I can't do, for instance your toe side Seat Belt grab is SICK! I love to watch you ride; you have a lot of style.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-02-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
Stanfield ~ Joe means if the boat owner is looking for a 3rd not the other way around.

Joe ~ you know if you sucked Big Ed would still let you aboard, but I have to agree with Shawn, you don't suck. You pull the biggest back roll I have seen and clean too.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-02-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
"Stanfield ~ Joe means if the boat owner is looking for a 3rd not the other way around."

Yeah, I know. If the boat owner is being such a puss about things he needs to be slapped. I'm a boat owner (who can't even ride because of surgery mind you) who takes people out all the time because they don't have their own boat. I couldn't imagine telling someone they couldn't come along because they're a beginner. That's crap.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-02-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, You can have a pull in my boat even though you SUCK. ha j/k
Your actually one of the best 3rd’s I’ve ever had !

I can't understand why anyone would demand their 3rd be better than them. That's pretty shallow.

Old    dclems            12-02-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
I was invited out in the beginning of summer, I had never been and I got hooked. Ended up buying a 2 boards and a boat buy the end of the summer. I love inviting newbies out teaching them and have the same thing happen to them, I've already gotten 3 friends to buy boards and about a dozen more to try, thats what keeps this sport expanding. Just my two cents.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-02-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
Dan - word to your mutha and the undercover brutha.

Joe - That's why I can get more pulls than you, cuz I rip and you suck my wake...that I don't have.

Pretty lame that anyone would ever throw riding ability into Third Skills.

Maybe this is what it's coming to...maybe that's why my winter crew doesn't invite me anymore.

Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-02-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
Riding ability as criteria??? It doesn't always take someone better than you or at the same level as you to push you. Seeing someone throw something down for the first time is often enough for me to push myself.

Besides how is the third ever going to get to your level if you don't let them ride?
Old    byerly137pro            12-02-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
Its fun riding with people who aren't as skilled as you cause when they learn new moves it pushes you not to let them catch you and stay one or two steps ahead.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2004, 3:20 PM Reply   
the only criteria i have is for my second to be able to drive a boat a bit better then average ,especially one without PP..If you can drive a boat staright and keep good speed then your a shoe in for my boat but skill level never comes into play for my second or third..here in Texas we dont have to have a third or a flag holder as long as you have a mirror but i still like to have a third for extra eyes and also to break sets up more and balance the boat..

anyway skill doesnt come into play especially if your in dire need of a third why be picky ,makes no sense...

One legged gimps as thirds are always welcome as well ,more water time for me :-)
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-02-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
"One legged gimps as thirds are always welcome as well ,more water time for me"

Us gimps make the best 3rds around. I'm not sure Scott even remembers how to drive the boat.
Old    upupnaway            12-02-2004, 7:48 PM Reply   
Criteria for thirds? the ability to see, (or at least hear a crash).
The ability to laugh at my wipeouts.
lack of motion sickness, or at least be able to projectile vomit overboard on the opposite side of the wake as the rider.
That about covers it.
Old    dusty            12-02-2004, 9:48 PM Reply   
Texas doesn't require a third OR a flag??? Wow, do a lot of people actually go out like that?!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-02-2004, 10:22 PM Reply   
Alright I'm looking for a 3rd and unless you are better then Joe you can't come!
Old    murrayair            12-02-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
Mike- Couldn't have said it better myself. All a third needs to be able to do is hold up a flag and not be a jerk. So basically, if they are alive they can be a third for me.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-02-2004, 10:32 PM Reply   
ONLY PROS BUAHAHAHA
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-03-2004, 7:10 AM Reply   
A third must be of the opposite sex, have all the right ballast tanks in the right area's and look better in a bikini than me. No need for a flag here in Ontario, Canada. j/k

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 7:31 AM Reply   
Joe ~ Unless you got more tricks in your bag I'm not sure you can come next time!!
Old    six            12-03-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
You are right Joe,As long as you suck you can ride in my boat which is for sale by the way 13000. with perfect pass.I will call you later
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       12-03-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
Is there a possibility they were simply trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and overlooked the fact that the invitation seemed tacky? I could understand someone looking for a 3rd, who not only fills the 3rd spot, but helps them improve their riding too. Except for the incident at San V this past summer, I've never experienced, or heard of, anyone who was that demanding. Everyone seems to be up for the same things... Riding, improving, and having a good time. Who knows?

By the way, I suck too!

-Blake
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-03-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
sweet, i'm not the only one that felt funny about such posts!

thanks for the kind words!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-03-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
I read that thread too and it hurt my feelings.

when its all said and done, im usually the under-skilled, gas-paying, tag along, boat janitor at the end of the day.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
Joe ~ Till now I didn't think you were serious with this post!!

Are you actually serious??cuzz if you are there is plenty of other boat owners that don't feel that way.I guess you already know who these boat owner are so I say just stay away.

if you still feel funny about it,it's a good time to buy a boat!!
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-03-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
I ride with a standard crew, but got invited out a few times this summer on other boats more locally. I have very little skill, but I love to ride, and am always chipping in for gas, clean up, etc. I wasn't always invited back, which kinda burns. All the people were better than me, granted. But still, I really think its about the sport, not just how someone looks riding behind your boat.

Thankfully, even this one-legged gimp has true friends, that see beyond just the tricks you can pull (thanks Scott!!!), and even allows me to be a broken third.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-03-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
big ed, yeah, i was serious. i wasn't talking about you or bug though...not one bit. in fact, we've ridden with a bunch of really cool people down here in socal, you and bug included. we had tons of fun w/ you guys! that's what it's about, right? oh, and learning new shizz, too. hell, bug's got toeside! what's the world coming to!

no boat for me. once we're in norcal, there would be absolutely no reason for me to get a boat.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
just to add that there wasn't one person that went out with me this summer that wasn't invited back to ride no matter of skill level or sex.there was only 2 riders that were more advanced than me all summer.

1.Doc oc
2.Joe Umali

and Joe you're going down next summer.YOU ARE MINE!!

(Message edited by Big_Ed_X2 on December 03, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-03-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
haha
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
To me that was more of a ha?ha?

No heart,you got to say it like you mean it BUAHAHAHA
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
Joe ~ Ill let that one slide, but watch it
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
Joe is right...maybe natural DISASTER!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-03-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
ed & bug, i just got a 4hr battery and wide angle lens for my cam.

filming's gonna be a lot of fun next year!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
so you are actually gonna document the rise of big Ed and the fall of Umali?Yeah
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
hahahaha Watch out Ed he might try to charge you.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-03-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
50 bucks per lesson.

stand tall...50 bucks!
keep handle close...50 bucks!
cut all the way up the wake...50 bucks!

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
see what I'm talking about.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-03-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
Joe that new equipment won't do you any good when you forget the camera.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
I figure my lessons are free since I'm providing the boat.lol

soon enough I might be giving him lessons.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-04-2004, 1:53 AM Reply   
Maybe I can shed some light on that post. He was wanting to go early in the morning, in the freezing cold air and water and didn't want someone who was a beginner who would take along time getting up and would also fall alot.

In this cold days up here in WA we need to get on the water, get our business done and get out. Driver and thirds get cold even with the heaters.

Now do I think anyone who is brave enough to go out in water temps of 48 degrees is going to be a beginner and want to go, probably not. But I see the guys point.

We are not lucky like you SoCals who can get out of the water and not freeze, we have icicles dripping off us, j/k not that cold yet.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-04-2004, 2:43 AM Reply   
get out of the water and not freeze huh?

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/CAZ048.php?warncounty=CAC065&city=Lake+Elsinore

"In this cold days up here in WA we need to get on the water, get our business done and get out."

This attitude takes all the fun out of it. It's true that a majority of beginners won't want to go out when it's cold, but when someone says that it really just makes them look shallow. That's what we're getting at.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-04-2004, 2:51 AM Reply   
looks like it's winter here, too.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-04-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
In my opinion, we were all beginners at one point and luckily someone took us out and taught us to ride. That is what this sport is all about. With over 3000 clinic participants this summer, I can honestly say that I'd rather have a group of beginners on the boat. Their excitement and enthusiasm keeps me stoked to ride every time.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-04-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Plus I get longer sets.....
Old    brianthomas            12-05-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
I can see the awkwardness in the conversation now. Guy comes in after bailing his backroll three times in a row, they pull the boat out of the water and the inevitable comes in. "umm hey man, me and the guys were thinking...maybe this isn't going to work out...it really isn't you it is us, we just demand more and weren't really getting what we wanted out of it. There are alot of other fish in the sea, you will find someone for you, good luck."
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-05-2004, 5:31 PM Reply   
Thane dogg ~ I second that!