Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (jonsie4765)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-05-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
Last Oct.,I put my boat in a repair shop in (LHC)
I was told the repairs would take at least 2-3 months,now it going on 7 months. I have already paid $14 thous.,Everytime I call the shop, I just get
excuses...We popped in Last Fri. & was told that my boat would be done this Fri.,So I called today & he said 2 more weeks...I have rented a condo for me & my kids for Springbreak & now we still don't have a boat....I'm so bummed!!!Anyone have any advice on this ??
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-05-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
what did you have done to your boat that takes 7 months?
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-05-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
14 thousand dollars ? What repairs and what kind of boat.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-05-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
" a boat with a salvaged title "

I guess that would explain it.
Old     (jonsie4765)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-05-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
my boat is a 2004 Malibu wakesetter,I got caught in a monsoon storm last year & my boat capsized , the
tower got torn off,& all the electrical had to be replaced, but there was no structual damages, the motor is fine,windshield replaced, 2 holes in the fiber glass where the tower attached, if you would like I can e.mail you pic's???
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
I can't imagine what would take seven months for repairs. What is still to be done? None the less, I would be their worst nightmare at this point. Call daily, hourly, stop by, openly complain while standing in their showroom and demand answers to 'Why do you still have my boat after SEVEN months.' You need to get to the person at the shop that cares, usually the owner, and be persistant.
Also very helpful if you know exactly what needs to be done to the boat and how it should have been done so you can counter their run arounds.
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
a little slow at the keyboard, numbers is more my thing
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       04-05-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
First thing I would do is get my insurance company involved? Also, why have you already paid $14K when the repairs haven't been completed? From your description, it sounds like you are being taken advantage of big time. They have your boat and your money. You need a third-party involved, either your insurance co. or a lawyer.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-06-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
I would be pitching a major fit!
If nothing else I would make the shop loan me a boat so you could enjoy your spring break.

If the shop is really working on it then you might eventually come out of this with a good boat. My dad's boat sunk when I was ~15 and I remember all the pain and agony getting that thing back into decent shape. One thing after another failed due to the water than managed to get where it wasn't supposed to. Everything electrical, including guages, switches, etc. The steering and shift cables.

If they are replacing all this stuff right up front then your boat will be reliable again. For $14K I would hope that they are. But they have had ample time, they have just been procrastinating.

Old     (texasbear08)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-06-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Time for an attorney... they made an contract with you when they said 2-3 months... and confirmed it when they took you money. You can claim breach of contract... a little long shot... but completely possible.

Until you can get an attorney make their life hell... go by the shop everyday! Tell everyone in the shop your situation. Call the Better Business Burea.

Also... with this kind of service up front... i would get warranty details in writting and talk to them about their policies also.

(Message edited by texasbear08 on April 06, 2006)
Old    boardman74            04-06-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Why was the money paid up front? Is this an insurance deal or are you paying out of pocket. I have done some rebuild after salvage. One thing I can tell you is there's no reliable way to know what has to be replaced unless they quoted you for everything!!! I could see them asking for some money up front, but $14,000? What do you have in writing? They build a boat in a number of weeks, there is no way you should be at 7 months and not be fixed. Also what have they offered as warranty, I assume your factory warranty is all void due to the accident. Hull would be all you would have left on a 2004 and I think submerging would void that. Most of the posts are right on. If it's insurance ride your company. They can put more pressure on the dealer than you can. They also have lawyers who are working for you already, paid by your premiums. If it's your dime, get an lawyer. If nothing else paying a lawyer to send the dealer a "friendly" letter often gets the job done. Good luck.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-06-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
WOW! I'm sorry, but nobody's getting my $14K until work is completed and satisfactory. 50% down, 50% upon acceptance....pretty standard. I hope this isn't a $28,000 repair?

Wouldn't insurance be paying for this? I agree with what's stated above. Get your insurance company involved.
Old    boardman74            04-07-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Any updates Melody? You've got my curiousity peaked.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-07-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
Another important questions is when and how you paid. If you paid by credit card and did so within the past 60 days (kind of a longshot from what I've read), dispute the charge with your credit card company. As others have pointed out, discussing the matter with a lawyer would also be a good idea.
Old     (jonsie4765)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-12-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
Update: I just got home fr: LHC,I was there for 5 days,Boat guy called me Last Fri.,While I was driving there & he was really nice,compared to our last phone conversation, So I'm being nice back, I did go drop my boat cover off & my boat is almost done!!!! I figured things would be smoother as long as we are being nice...I did go to sandbar w/ my friend & there were alot of nice boats, a few Malibus too!!! Sure did miss my boat though, next
trip is my girl trip (Memorial Weekend)!!! P.S. I did come home w/ a nice tan!!!!!