Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tenniswiz37)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-04-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
just read in the eject forum about slingshot boards on snow with snowboard boots and bindings. Well I guess if u really like the locked in feeling like snowboard boots give you could you use snowboard bindings and boots in the water? are they water resistent? Because the snow must melt a little bit on to the boots. It would be so easy to get locked on and off the board....for cable or boat purposes.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
I know I saw a vid just a while back of someone riding a slingshot on snow... it had the slingshot wake deck, but snowboard bindings and boots
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-04-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
I've used snowboard boot/binders on a slingshot deck for winching some rails, just had to drill out the bindings base plate to match the wider SS pattern. I used my really old Lamar boots and Burton Mission bindings. It was great for getting in and out. the problem was the boots, held alot of water even after I drilled some drain holes in the soles. This season I might try getting larger bindings and using the SS Drivers boot, hopefully that won't hold as much water.

zane
Old     (tenniswiz37)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-04-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
could you post the link to the video on the snow...and companies should start making snowboard like straps to get in and out of because the velcro straps ..i dont think give a lot of support.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-04-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
if a company was able to come out with a waterproof softshell boot that drains easy, using snowboard bindings would work fine and it was great for winching because our pond had a rock bottom, probably be just fine for boat and cable too
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
at a rail jam i saw a guy using a slingshot board with snowboard bindings. but he just used his slingshot bindings instead of snowboard boots. he was in and out so fast. i dont know why i havent seen it more.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-05-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
yeah i thought about trying that just did not have large enough snowboard bindings. does anyone know who this was?
Old    usfhookup            04-05-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
James: You must have never ridden the CWB AA velcro bindings... TONS of support and ZERO slip velcro... Never will I touch laces again!
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-05-2010, 8:44 PM Reply   
I think the LF Vantages held well when I rode them. I will say though those CWB AAs look SWEET
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-06-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
I'm guessing weight may be a factor in all this. A lot of companies are pushing for lighter gear lately, and i cant imagine the added material of the binding, plus the weight of the boot, could beat the weight of new Ronix, LF, or CWB boots. It does seem like a good idea for cable and winching though. Give it 5 years, they will come up with some modified concept specifically for wake parks.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-06-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
Ben, yeah give it a few years, it seems the wakeboard industry is using more and more technology and ideas from snowboarding. next we'll have camber+rockered wakeboards by 2014, haha.

i do have to say though i love how you can crank on the rachet for a tight fit, then in seconds be able to get out of bindings.
Old     (henning)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2010, 2:24 AM Reply   
It's the best way to be completely connected to the board.

I mounted my ride bindings on slingshot recoil with no problems.

Pics on http://dragenavvera.blogspot.com/ and http://gallery.iddqd.se/
Old     (jkatslo)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
This sounds like a great idea. Companies could incorporate snowboard binding methods such as the clip in type and regular binding mounting systems. Either way would be awesome and just sounds like it makes more sense.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-07-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
im not trying to be negative i love the idea but i really wouldn't want to have to get out of a pair of bindings then boots when im done with my set
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
the R.A.D. boots were supposed to have the removable liners like SS has been doing from the begining but with an added tread with winching and cable in mind.

kinda a middle ground between wake and snow is how i see it. we'll have to wait till july till we see them in production though... AND possibly with the track mounting system like burton uses.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
Haha, cambered wakeboards. You volunteering to be in the test group for those protos Zane? I see some big problems with clip in bindings (see the "stay in or eject" thread). The RAD boots are a good idea, although I hope SS will be selling replacement liners as well. In general it seems like the whole idea of snowboard style bindings would be most beneficial for winch/cable riders. Boat riders put on their board at the start of the set, and take it off at the end (short of an explosive crash). There isnt a big need for super quick in and out when boat riding, at least from my perspective.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-07-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Henning, you've got some sick stuff on there, i was wanting to get my winch out this winter, but didn't get any snow while I was back home.
J Morrison, i wouldn't want to try clip in style bindings, they don't hold you in very well, there's a reason they aren't the preferred binding type in snowboarding
Michael, one idea i had was to make the boot easy in and out would be to use heavy duty velcro much like the LF Vantages, not sure on how well it would provide support
Ben, haha,sure why not if one was made i'll give camber a test. the boot/binding idea is just to give another option other than what's on the market, maybe some company will like it and try it out who knows
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
All I picture when I think cambered wakeboard is a board with the inserts on the other side. Bound to be a successful shape.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-09-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
thats a bit of ridiculous idea of a cambered board, though i couldn't see any pros of a cambered board

Henning, what boots do you use for your setup? just regular snowboard boots?
Old     (henning)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Zane, it's spring now so more stuff is on the way .

I had a session on the cable today with the snowboard bindings. It felt better then i thought, Superior holddown evenly ower the fot, easy to step in/out and getting the right pressure. Flex in all direktions exept towards the heal ege.

I'm using ride bindings and 2007 Slinshot driver boots with the baseplate remowed. The only downside is the boot lacking support under the foot with the baseplate remowed. I'm planing on filling the gap wit a lighter fake basepate to improve the support.

It makes sense, snowboarding has hade more time to dewelop bindings.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
We're edging into water, not ice. We don't need the kind of support that snowboarding needs on hardpack. Have you guys heard of wakeskating??? Sneakers??? The movement to keep making wakeboard bindings more and more like snowboard bindings drives me nuts. More support = less tweakage.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-09-2010, 6:56 PM Reply   
Henning, i was going to try it with my slingshot Drivers this summer. What size are those ride bindings? XL? Like the idea of the idea of the light base plate.

Schooledrider, tweakability is one of the reasons I like the binding/boot combo. I can tweak my grabs so much more on my snowboard than my wakeboard.
Old     (henning)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-10-2010, 2:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilboarder12 View Post
Henning, i was going to try it with my slingshot Drivers this summer. What size are those ride bindings? XL? Like the idea of the idea of the light base plate.

Schooledrider, tweakability is one of the reasons I like the binding/boot combo. I can tweak my grabs so much more on my snowboard than my wakeboard.
My snowboardbindings are L and my boots 43eur / 11us. XL will work to, the ss boots are BIG.
Old     (henning)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-10-2010, 3:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcronin View Post
We're edging into water, not ice. We don't need the kind of support that snowboarding needs on hardpack. Have you guys heard of wakeskating??? Sneakers??? The movement to keep making wakeboard bindings more and more like snowboard bindings drives me nuts. More support = less tweakage.
So snowbarders don't tweak and ride soft powder. The first snowboards even had fins.
Have you heard of snowskate?

There will always be wakeboard bindings with the boot mounted directly on the board for boat riding. But the needs of cable and winch are different. You step in/out and walk more, much like snowboarding.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-10-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
those SS Drivers are pretty bulky for sure, this past summer I tried the drivers with my burton mission binders size large and the boots wouldn't sit flat due to being to wide. i'll def mess with it once back home.