Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-26-2012, 2:19 AM Reply   
Ok so I have 2 boards, a liquid force Collin Harrington 2010 groove a progressive continuous rocker, and I have a liquid force 2012 Watson hybrid which I believe is a hybrid 3stage rocker?
Now I have given the watson a fair go and I just don't like how it rides. I don't know enough about boards to figure out what it is I don't like. I feel like the groove is a nicer ride even though I sit lower in the water and isn't as fast.

Can some 1 please help me understand the difference in rocker types? I believe I might like the feel of a continuous rocker over a 3 stage but cos I don't know the difference in how they behave I can't really pin down what it is.
It's a damn shame I can't test boards before I buy them might have saved me the 7-800aud I spent on the bloody thing...
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-26-2012, 3:51 AM Reply   
I mostly look for 4 things in a board; speed, looseness, pop and landings. Speed is obvious. How fast a board feels when you're riding around on it. Looseness is a personal preference. Some people likes the freedom of a looser board, while some like to be really locked in when edging. Pop is how sudden the pop is and how much pop there is. Generally, as a rule of thumb, 3 stage boards will be a little slower but will have more pop. Think taking a trick tall and wake to wake. Continuous rockers sacrifice a little bit of pop for more speed. Think taking tricks out into the flats. Landing is how soft or hard a board lands. I've never been able to judge this based on description or just looking at a board, I have to try it out first.

That being said though, recently the line separating the two categories has been blurred, due to things like late rocker, hybrid 3 stage, etc. Even Ronix now doesn't separate boards based on this category. I'd say to do a lot of research before buying a board. There are reviews out there and if not, come here and you'll generally be able to get a good idea of how a board handles.

P.S Where in Australia are you based?
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-26-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
I'm based in Sydney. There is a cable park 10mins drive from work so I try to get out as often I can. And weekends I try get out on the local river on either a friends boat (who snapped his ankle in 2 places wakeboarding, so that's no more lol) or behind my cousins jetski.

As for speed the Watson is faster, landings much softer with the Watson too, pop I get higher with the Watson lol but what I don't like is the edging and riding feel. My groove has a bit of a surf board feel to it, I can turn quicker but it's still very loose. I think it's more responsive.

I am trying to learn water/air tricks having recently landed my first few cable raleys and landing kript a few times. I haven't mastered it yet but for some1 who has been boarding 3 months I think I'm doing pretty well.

I'm going out tomorrow to try my old board again and weigh up if I go back to it or keep riding the Watson. I don't want to keep the Watson if I figure out I don't like it... An expensive lesson I guess it's why I keep giving the board another go...
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-27-2012, 5:45 AM Reply   
Ah I was only asking cos a mate of mine is based in Perth and he usually has a couple Ronix boards to sell which I'm sure he'd let you test.

Generally cable riders prefer a bit of flex though and I think they'd be more durable and more fun to press. I've had a look at the rest of the LF range though and all their hybrids are aggressive 3 stage and on paper are very similar. If you decided against the Watson, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 80-90% of the money back on a 2012 barely ridden model sold second hand. If you still are looking for a new board after, I'd say to take a look at Slingshot Newton or Response, they're both continuous Rockers and over the years they've gotten a lot of good reviews, but keep asking around and try to get a demo.
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-27-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
I like a stiff board tbh, I rode my mates LF peak and was way to flexy for me a little unpredictable. As I'm into airtricks and not grinding i think a stiffer board is suited? Correct me if I'm wrong...
I'm going today after work to ride both my boards, it's D day lol
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-27-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
Yeah well then I'm sure a stiff board is the way to go. I just kinda assumed cos you ride cable. I rarely do though, but to me a stiffer board sounds better
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            02-27-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
This may sound silly...but do you have the fins in on the watson hybrid? I ask bc i only put mine on when behind boat. Cable park theyre off.
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-28-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
I got them on as I'm learning air tricks. I haven't figured out the whole line tension thing properly so they are in for now to assist until I'm more comfortable with building up the tension.

Verdict is......... The watson wins!! Overall it's a better ride, I lost a bit of responsiveness in quick edge changes but I'm happier overall with the Watson.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-29-2012, 2:36 AM Reply   
Anaru, if you can find one I would highly recommend the Liquid Force Lyman, they'd be 2 years old now but you'll pick them up on ebay pretty cheap. From what I'm reading it has all the characteristics of the groove which you like but less of the draw backs.