Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    murrayair            10-30-2009, 11:41 PM Reply   
Lakers could have scored about 50 points on Mav turnovers tonight. Ugly loss. Looked like it was every man for himself out there on offense. D was alright, but they just couldn't convert on the other end.

Loved Brown's MONSTER put-back dunk, though! That kid can fly!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-31-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
Yeah I was very disappointed with the Lakers last night, wtf, they are a much better team then that BS.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-31-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
No need to panic, boys. It's just one game. They simply had an off-day/bad game. They'll learn from it.
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-31-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
Do people still watch this s**t.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-31-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Yes we sure do watch, why the hell would you get on a NBA thread if you don't watch the sport, to talk trash?

Typical Liberal.
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-31-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
By the declining numbers i wouldnt think so.
Old    murrayair            11-01-2009, 1:40 AM Reply   
Uhhh, ratings for the opening night were the highest in 26 years. The NBA had a ratings slump for a while, but the last 2+ years has seen an increase. Every marquee event- opening day, the All Star Game, the playoffs, the holiday games- has gotten tremendous ratings, as well as a general increase for the regular season.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-01-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
Old fans finally getting back into after so many years the NBA sucked without Micheal Jordan. Maybe old time staple teams like the Celtics and Lakers back atop the leader board helps with that.

Go CELTICS!
Old    murrayair            11-03-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
The Lakers having to go to OT to win against OKC is a little scary, but a win is a win.

I was also surprised to see Orlando lose to Detroit and the Bucks put up such a fight against the Bulls.

Does anyone else think that Rondo's 5 year, $55million deal is a little much? That kid's not worth even close to $11 mil/year.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-03-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Total collapse by Utah in the 4th. Again, ZERO DEFENSE.

They are missing 2 of their better shooters....and it is really just 4 games into the season, but this is just a joke.

The Jazz are about as disinterested a bunch as I have ever seen Sloan put on the floor....

If I was a member of that team, I'd be embarrassed with the product we were putting out.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-04-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
the lakers looked horrible last night! they were definitely lucky to squeak out a win on the road, with pau out and kobe being sick. they need to step it up tonight against the rockets.

you guys see odom airball a free-throw?

what's up w/ rondo talkin' shiat to chris paul? he's bein' a total punk.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-04-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
"what's up w/ rondo talkin' shiat to chris paul? he's bein' a total punk."

This is nothing new, didn't you see any of the Bulls/Celtics series last spring? This kid has totally lost my respect, he is a punk.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-04-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
^ agreed Rondo is a punk bitch.

Missed the laker game but was getting live score updates on my phone while in class, i was losing it! Couldn't press the refresh button fast enough.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-04-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
can you imagine?????

quote:

Will LeBron join Kobe in L.A.?

Sam Smith believes a LeBron to the Lakers’ scenario makes the most sense for him if he wants a chance to be considered among the greatest winners of all-time.

Well, at least I’m fairly sure now where LeBron James is going to be playing next season.

Los Angeles, most likely with the Lakers.

Stay with me a bit here, and when the Bulls are in Cleveland Thursday for the TNT national TV game with the Cavs, I doubt LeBron will have much to say on the subject. And this is hardly an overreaction to the Cavs slogging out of the starting gate this season with two losses and looking ready for pasture.

No, going to the Lakers makes all the sense in the world, and, at least to my view, fits LeBron better than it would other players of his caliber. Of which there’s basically only Kobe Bryant.

I’ve heard this scenario from some NBA people, though I’ve heard every other one as well, from staying in Cleveland to New York to New Jersey to running Berkshire Hathaway for Warren Buffett.

The general consensus seems to be LeBron stays in Cleveland given you can be a star from anywhere, the New York teams generally are a mess and would mean a step back in his competitive career, and he likes Cleveland. Makes sense and it probably is the second best option, though I strongly question the Cavs roster and decision making to help make LeBron a champion. Michael Jordan was able to accept the lack of titles into the late 1980s because the Bulls were improving and going farther each season. It appears the Cavs are backsliding.

The obvious reason this never gets discussed is no one can see James hooking on with Bryant. I really cannot understand why not.

How good a team would that be with Bryant, James, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom? Supposedly it would look like James searching out a place to win a championship instead of lifting his team to one. Allegedly a no-no.

But Bryant is 31; James is 24. Bryant has probably three really high level seasons left before some sort of a transition. It was the transition Shaq could never accept and why I think the Lakers dynasty broke up. Not because of Kobe. But because Shaq refused to be viewed as a supporting player to Bryant, and the Lakers understood that. So they traded him. Clearly the right move.

The Lakers are no sure thing to win the championship with the Celtics healthy and the Magic deep. But you add LeBron and it’s hard to imagine anyone beating them the next three or four years.

So then Kobe, working toward incredible immortality on the way to maybe 10 or 11 championships, backs off some to allow James to be the dominant figure when James is 27 or 28 and Bryant is looking at 35. Bryant could ease into a brilliant supporting role while the Lakers continue winning titles, and, in the end, like base hits, they count how many. Not how you got them.

The big reason I believe this could occur and work is because James is an unusual superstar. Jordan never would do it, and I doubt Kobe would. But you watched James in the Olympics and he seemed to embrace the supporting role, rebounding and moving the ball. He’s always said he wants to play with those Olympic teammates, and it doesn’t seem like the Cavs payroll can accommodate that.

Yes, James could go to Miami to join Dwyane Wade, and that’s possible. I’ve heard it speculated often and it puts James on the other side of the Finals from the Lakers with the Celtics having a short window. Of course, there is Dwight Howard.

Also, James is a unique superstar because he’s a very willing passer, more so than virtually every league leading scorer. He doesn’t fight the double and seems to have trusted teammates from Day 1, a trait we never saw with Jordan or Bryant. I don’t think James would have any problem submerging his ego for Bryant’s for a while knowing full well his talent already is surpassing Bryant’s. The transition under a coach like Phil Jackson would become obvious. It was Phil who practically begged Shaq to take that Lakers’ $20 million offer and accept the transition like Kareem did with Magic. Shaq was just too stubborn.

James also is unique in the way he has been so devoted to his group of friends from his youth, a star who doesn’t seem to chase other celebrities but is devoted to the group. I can see James comfortable in any role with a top team like the Lakers.

But James does have his sizeable ego. You’ve got to if you’re OK with a 10-story mural of yourself across the street from your office.

James has often talked about expanding his empire, and lately has been involved with books and movies. So where else but in L.A. would you want to be to be involved in the entertainment industry?

And, really, everyone wants to play in L.A. The weather is fabulous. You can be a star and have privacy because there are so many other stars. And then when you want to be a star you can because it is a city of stars. And basketball is by far No. 1, the only big city in the U.S. where you can say that. Plus, owner Jerry Buss knows stars sell and has been the most successful at recruiting and paying for stars.

I’ve heard the Clippers mentioned, though I see James preferring to join the best rather than try to overcome the best from a distance.

So how does it get done?

The Lakers certainly have no salary cap room. They are in no position to pay James, which remains the No. 1 priority for all free agents. James just has to explain to the Cavs he’s leaving. If they don’t accommodate him, he’s going to New York or Miami and they get nothing. But if they do in a sign and trade to save the franchise, they get a young, potential All-Star center in Andrew Bynum. Maybe Lamar Odom as well or Ron Artest. Draft picks, some pieces like Jordan Farmar. The Cavs can compete in the East with a star center and some pieces added to what they have. It’s better than nothing as cap room doesn’t mean anything in Cleveland. No one’s going there.

Look, I believe James has no idea yet what he wants to do next summer. But I also believe the Lakers’ scenario makes the most sense for him if he wants a chance to be considered among the greatest winners of all-time. I believe that’s what he’s about now, and he accomplishes that only with the Lakers.

Old    murrayair            11-04-2009, 11:38 PM Reply   
Interesting article. The only question to remain unanswered is whether or not Kobe is willing to share his titles with another superstar and risk bringing back the "He can only win titles with another MVP" criticisms.

I personally would like to see Lebron come to the Lakers in 3 (or so) years when Kobe's level of play starts to come down.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-05-2009, 4:59 AM Reply   
That would be dumb for the NBA, kobe and Lebron.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-05-2009, 5:42 AM Reply   
"Look, I believe James has no idea yet what he wants to do next summer. But I also believe the Lakers’ scenario makes the most sense for him if he wants a chance to be considered among the greatest winners of all-time. I believe that’s what he’s about now, and he accomplishes that only with the Lakers. "

Must be written by a Laker fan. lol....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-05-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
skubz, i believe he's a writer for bulls.com.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-05-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
sam smith has been an nba writer for 25 years and this isnt a story that is being dismissed by people around the nba. lebron loves to pass so it isnt like they couldnt play together, kobes game is moving further away from the basket and lebron dominates in the paint...

how is this bad for the nba? lebron is their poster boy and this gives him the best chance of winning a title on the most marketable team in the nba in the second biggest market in the nba.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-05-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
because the nba wants to pit 2 stars against eachother, not for eachother.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-05-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
with kobe at 31 and lebron at 24, this would solidify a huge star on their premier franchise for a long time, to me that makes more business sense than 3 years at best of the lebron/kobe thing.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-05-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
it's not good for the nba if 1 team keeps winning year in, year out, which is what could happen if lebron goes to l.a. it'd be great for laker fans, but nba fans would get tired of seeing the same team win.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-05-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
agreed, it is interesting though...of course you and i wouldnt be to upset seeing the same team winning
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-05-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
if it's the lakers, not one bit!
Old    murrayair            11-05-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
By jeff fitzgerald (jefefitz) on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 1:16 pm:

quote:

lebron loves to pass so it isnt like they couldnt play together, kobes game is moving further away from the basket and lebron dominates in the paint...

Actually, Kobe's game has been moving closer to the basket in the last few years. It's pretty typical for players to move their game closer to the basket as they get older. Kobe worked a lot with Hakeem Olijuon in the off-season so he could operate better in the paint.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2009, 1:33 AM Reply   
another interesting article

quote:

Who's better, Kobe or LeBron? It's no debate at all.
November 4, 2009 | 12:50 pm

In the same manner in which Kobe Bryant was unfairly compared to Michael Jordan in the late '90s, the debate continues with LeBron James being similarly compared to Kobe.

Some fans and pundits have even had the temerity to go as far as saying that James has already surpassed Bryant as a player.

They reinforce their arguments with statistics and the many milestones that James has accomplished at such an early age. Many of these same milestones are marks that Kobe held until James surpassed them.

There are areas of the game where James holds an advantage over Kobe, most noticeably the physical specimen department, but most arguments are based on the potential of James and not his current accomplishments.

The only problem with gazing into the crystal ball is that sometimes the present intervenes and renders all predictions useless. It's much better to live in the present, and based on that, the James argument doesn't hold up.

While James and Bryant are great players, there are some areas that James has yet to catch up, and in some cases, never will.

The part of LeBron's game that has seen the biggest improvement is on the defensive end. He is still a much better help defender than ball defender, but his man-to-man defense is steadily improving.

As a youngster James was able to rely on his superior athletic ability to mask his shortcomings on the defensive end. He was simply able to overwhelm opponents with his quickness, size, and strength.

It was clear early in his career that he had the proper defensive principles, but he lacked the technique. His defensive posture was bad, and he had a habit of crossing his feet instead of sliding them.

James has taken steps to correct this and it's evident in his game, as he has become a better on-ball defender, which helps complement his superior ball-hawking skills.

Kobe had no such problem, as he was an excellent defensive player from the time he entered the league. His man-to-man skills remain superb, and he has the ability to lock down an opponent almost at will.

Bryant was obviously schooled on the importance of defense and that can in part be attributed to his NBA lineage. He recognized the influence that getting stops has on a game and the way it contributes to momentum swings.

Conversely, James is a product of the AAU circuit and the various summer leagues, which place a low premium on defense and emphasize the highlight aspect of the game.

Michael Jordan's footprints are all over another aspect of Kobe's game, which is sometimes called the lost art of the mid-range jump shot.

It became the most dangerous weapon in Jordan's arsenal, and Bryant has emulated it to the barest degree. His ability to pull up from anywhere within 18 feet has made Bryant one of the most versatile offensive players in NBA history.

This is the part of LeBron's game that could use the most work, as all of his damage is done either from distance or at the rim, there is hardly any in-between.

A mid-range jumper is something that you have to work at, and the evidence is spread throughout the league, with only a handful of players showing the ability to master it.

Besides being the ultimate student of the game, Bryant is probably one of the most fundamentally sound. His techniques on both ends of the floor could be used in basketball tutorials.

James is no slouch in the fundamental department, but Bryant is above reproach. I'm not sure if even the most dedicated regimen could put James in Bryant's class, which may be second only to Jordan himself.

I feel that all of the above points are solid, but they can be argued, alas this one can't. The hardware disparity is real and it has grown since James has been in the league.

I have stated that it is fruitless to argue what James may accomplish in the future because we live in the present. The Kobe and Jordan argument would have never started if Kobe was unable to win a ring.

Charles Barkley and Karl Malone are considered two of the best power forwards to play the game, but they are trumped by Tim Duncan, and the argument will always end with the number of rings Duncan is wearing.

Likewise with John Stockton and Magic Johnson. Stockton may hold the assists record, but how many of those assists ever accounted for championships?

This is the final peg on which Kobe hangs his hat. LeBron has the potential to be the greatest player ever, but tomorrow is never promised.

I pay homage to the greatest active player today, who has the game and championships to back it up. Until LeBron wins a ring he will be relegated to second-hand status.

Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-06-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Well at least the title was correct.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-06-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
Kobe is def. killing with his midrange game right now. Put a guy on him thats smaller and he will back him down for the shorter shot. His footwork is very, very good.
They will need it tonight..no gasol, no bynum.. even vs. Memphis.
Its still very early in the season but its interesting how the cavs are starting slow with the Big Addition. Then look at Phoenix who sent him off...they are playing much like they did before his arrival. Addition by subtraction??
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-06-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Jazz win....Jazz win....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
anyone notice lebron trying to put on a show at the garden?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
speakin' of puttin' on a show, kobe totally schooled oj mayo tonight!
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       11-06-2009, 10:11 PM Reply   
Rip City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
umm, ok?
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       11-06-2009, 11:13 PM Reply   
It's a Portland thing, (Bill Schonely)

Bingo Bango Bongo Baby!!!
Old    murrayair            11-06-2009, 11:43 PM Reply   
Great article, Joe. Do you have the link so I can email it to some friends?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-07-2009, 1:21 AM Reply   
Kobe did work tonight. His fade away midrange is money. Nice win with DJ and Powell filling in.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-08-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
wow, what the hell happened to orlando tonight? i understand every team has an off-night or two, but wow, a 28-pt loss to ok city?
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-08-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
That Kobe/LeBron article doesn't address the talent surrounding Kobe and LeBron. LeBron has had a horrible supporting case, yet the Cavs still win. If you were to swap Kobe with LeBron this year, LeBron and the Lakers would win the title hands down while Kobe and the Cavs would be headed to the lottery. Kobe couldn't win without Shaq in his prime and Gasol in his. The Lakers '05 or '06 team even had Caron Butler and Lamar Odom, who are both better than any teammate LeBron has had the last couple years, and that Laker team was a .500 team. And Kobe has Phil Jackson too.

Winning is an important part of whether a player is a good player. Obviously, a guy like Marbury who NEVER won simply cannot be considered a great player because his teams consistently lost.

Since one great player can not make a team a champion (as proven by the Lakers being mediocre when they only had a couple good players surrounding Kobe) you cannot judge who is the better player by the number of championships.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-08-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
here we go again w/ the whole "kobe can't win w/o" argument.

fyi, jordan couldn't win w/o pippen either.
Old    murrayair            11-08-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
Jason- You say that you think winning is an important part of how a player is judged, but then you say that you can't judge a player by how many championships they have. So which is it? Is winning important or not?

If Kobe's supporting cast in '05-06 was better than anything LeBron has had, then why did Kobe have to average 35.4ppg that season just to get the Lakers into the 1st round of the playoffs, while Lebron averaged 27.3 ppg the next year while taking the Cavs to the finals? That's a lot less effort by Lebron for a far better outcome. Looks like he had some help.

Btw, did you actually watch any Lakers games in '05-'06? Odom wasn't half as good as he is now. He missed a lot of easy layups, was VERY predictable, and didn't share the ball. And he was clearly the SECOND best player on the team. Everyone else was far worse. If Lebron played with that team in place of Kobe, the result wouldn't have been any better.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-09-2009, 2:18 AM Reply   
sly, I absolutely agree a player should be judged by whether his team wins in general. A very good player should be able to make his team a winner. But it takes more than one good player to make a team a championship team. That's why I think you can't say one player is better than another because one has rings and the other doesn't. Obviously, Kobe and LeBron are both great players and winners. Does anyone really think Kobe would have a championship if he had LeBron's supporting cast? No way.

LeBron may have only had to average 27 the year the Cavs went to the finals because he makes his teammates better. Kobe may have had to average 35 because he does not. I would be willing to bet the Lakers would have won more games in 05-06 had Kobe taken less shots. Oh, and I watched a ton of Laker games in 05-06 including several in person. Odom isn't a better player now than he was then. He is just playing better in his new role with different teammates and less pressure. With Gasol and Bynum out, and more pressure on Odom, he has played not so well the last couple of games. Odom is still better than Varejo. Varejo's scoring average would be cut in half if he wasn't coming off the pick and roll with LBJ.

And Joe, I agree Jordan couldn't win without Pippen. If you think about it, that furthers my point as well. Jordan isn't a better player because the Bulls drafted Pippen, and Jordan wouldn't be a worse player had the Bulls never drafted Pippen.

My only point was that you can't say Kobe is better than LeBron because Kobe has rings and LeBron doesn't, especially without even mentioning or addressing the disparities in the supporting casts. It undermines that entire article.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-09-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   

quote:

I would be willing to bet the Lakers would have won more games in 05-06 had Kobe taken less shots. Oh, and I watched a ton of Laker games in 05-06 including several in person.

were you watching the lakers or the laker girls? the lakers absolutely sucked that year. you think if kobe shot less they would've won more games? you've gotta be kidding me. smush parker, kwame brown, chris mihm? need i say more?

not trying to be a dick, but that quote alone makes it seem like you have no clue what you're talking about.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
In 05,06 i was def watching the laker girls!!!!!but when i watched the team...no doubt kobe carried them, should have had one of steve nash or Dirks MVPs. Smush Parker, Kwame Brown...the horror.
Old    murrayair            11-09-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
There were more than a few games during that season when the Staples Center crowd booed Kwame every time he touched the ball. The way he handled it, you would think it was covered in oil.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-09-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
thats because kwame has the hands like a 10 year old girl
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
aka...hands of stone

thought they would put up a fight Sunday vs. Lakers. Anyone else suprised the hornets have been terrible? Great coach, great PG, David West, Posey, Okafor...somethings not right.
Old    murrayair            11-10-2009, 1:12 AM Reply   
Agreed, something's not clicking. This is almost the same team they had 2 seasons ago when they lost the Western Conference to the Lakers by like half a game and CP3 was 2nd in MVP voting.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-10-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Whats up with AI? Mulling retirement at 34? I think the guy still has stuff left in the tank but it def. comes w/ baggage. He still is a starter, but on what team?
Old    murrayair            11-10-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
The only teams that he really wants to play for are not going to start him. And even some of the teams he doesn't want to play for, like Memphis.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
sure he has stuff left in the tank, but almost every other 2 guard out there has way better skills than iverson.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
sly, forgot to post the link to the article above.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/11/bleacher-report-whos-better-kobe-or-lebron-its-no-debate-at-all.html
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-10-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
AI is a tough fit for sure. Didnt they sign Iverson to stimulate interest in the team and to SELL tickets? Are the coach and GM on the same page? Coach Hollins should start AI and have the kid come off the bench at least til AI cools. MConley has his shooting up to about 40% and Iverson is at 57%, scoring more in less mins. If I am buying a ticket i want to see AI. Conley may not even be the future.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
conley's a pg...iverson isn't.

if i was coaching the grizz, i'd keep iverson on the bench. there's no way he's playing the 1, nor is he taking oj's spot. the coach's job is to win...not to sell tix. that's the grizzlies' marketing dept's job.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
AI is pissed because he was told he would start before he signed. He has got to be thinking "If I was going to take a reserve role, I would at least do it with a team that doesn't suck." He went to the worst team in the league in a city that definitely would not be his first choice just because he was told he would play.

As for Conley, I don't see much potential in him.
Old    sperbet            11-11-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
.500 for the first time in 3 years! wooohooo!!!!

Sorry, now back to your 09/10 LA Lakers, errr sorry 09/10 NBA thread.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-11-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
dammit...pau may be out until christmas!!! dammit!
Old    murrayair            11-11-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
He better at least be back ON Christmas. I want the Lakers at full strength to see them give the Cavs as big of a beat-down as possible.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-12-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
Jackson was just kidding when he implied a Christmas return. I bet no more than another couple games at most.
Suns V. Lakers tonight. Suns put up 75 1st half points last night, en fuego!
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-12-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Lakers vs. Suns should be a fun game to watch. I say suns by 2 points 110 to 112.
Old    murrayair            11-12-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
I've got Lakers by 8.

Looks like the Hornets got impatient with Byron Scott. I think they were too hasty to fire him. He's a good coach, and keeping him would have been a good long-term decision. Their loss.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-12-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
if the clippers were smart, they'd hire byron scott.

the lakers better win tonight...that will make going to the game more enjoyable.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-12-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
"going to the game" congrats man will be a great game to attend!
Nash is really dealing so far this year and Amare is back strong from the microfracture and eye injury. Grant Hill also playing like he is 27 not 37. 8 guys in double figures last night.
No doubt gonna be high scoring game tonight! Lakers by 3.

Probably too quick a decision to bump BScott, but things really started to unravel last year. He's a taskmaster ala Pat Riley, maybe todays stars dont mix well with that type of coaching/motivation.
Old    murrayair            11-12-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
Wow, Lakes by 19. The bench started out a little weak, but finished strong. And how about Powell and Brown? Great game!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-12-2009, 11:38 PM Reply   
fun game to watch, bynum is playing great. Brown is a beast!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-13-2009, 1:41 AM Reply   
it's easy to say bynum's playing great....he hasn't gone up against a good center yet.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-13-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Not quite what I had in mind for the suns and lakers. Def not exciting.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-13-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
Yeah, game was over 2 min into the second half. Not sure how much was tired legs (suns) and how much was the Lakers are really good. Kobe and Bynum owned the paint, and forced to play D, Amare and Richardson couldnt get their offense clicking.
Anyone else catch Wade and Lebron trading dunks? Wades postering of Varejao was not to be missed!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-13-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Damn Wades dunk was nasty
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-13-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
wade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEiI7Hso9Y8

shannon brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmqJRv06ra0
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-13-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
ej, any word on why deron williams was excused from the team?
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-14-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
Will Melo be a serious contender for the MVP this year?
Old    murrayair            11-14-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Damn. Lakers got killed last night. I definitely think Anthony has to be considered this season in any MVP discussion. I see the MVP going either to Kobe or LeBron, but Melo's right there, too, at this point.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-16-2009, 4:39 AM Reply   
Got to give some ups to my Milwaukee Bucks. Loving the way they are playing (near the top in Rebounds and Defense). I've watched the NBA long enough to know it's way early and it doesn't mean a thing unless you are playing well after the Allstar break, but it's still cool to see them winning right now.

Friday nights game made the price of the NBA ticket worth it. Brandon Jennings (Bucks rookie) dropped 55 pts on Golden State and a win.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-16-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
Yes, brandon jennings just stepped toward the front of the ROY competition.

Hey Lakers, nice effort over the weekend.

Never been a fan of Melo but i have to admit he has matured and his game is more complete now.
Old     (braap13)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-16-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
You have to keep in mind Jennings was playing the laughable warriors. Its embarrassing how bad we play defense. At least they got rid of Jackson. And I love how he is going to a team worse than the dubs!
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-17-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
"You have to keep in mind Jennings was playing the laughable warriors. Its embarrassing how bad we play defense."

Yeah, but he is a 20 year old rookie in his 7th game in the league. Regardless of how inept GS D is, 55 is just ridiculous. Besides, you would have to see the deep 3's he was hitting to realize, the D had nothing to do with it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-17-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
i hope the last 2 laker games wake them up. they're playing horribly!
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
I watched the second half of the mavs/bucks game last night because I had to see what this Jennings kid is all about. Reminded me a bit of a young Iverson. His play is a little erratic. He put up a couple bad shots while double teamed when he had teammates wide open. However, he can definitely score at will.

It will be interesting to see whether he can develop into a consistent force who passes when he should or whether he will just be a streaky ballhogging scorer.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
Last night I went to my first laker game this season. A few observations --

-- Kobe's reverse layup was sick!

-- Maxiel's block of Brown was probably one of the coolest moments I have seen up close. I lost it. Last time I remember reacting like that was when I saw Smush Parker dunk over Ben Wallace a few years ago. Maxiel is a beast and way better player than Charlie V. He should get more clock.

-- Kobe is still a bipolar emotional mess. He was clearly pouting over taking the heat for the Denver loss and making a point by not shooting at all the first six minutes of the game and letting the Lakers fall behind even though Kobe had the biggest mismatch on the floor. Ben Gordon simply cannot guard Kobe, especially on the block. Why it took Phil slapping Kobe around to get him to shoot is just stupid.

-- Artest and Shannon Brown are beastly and invaluable to the Lakers. When guarding Gordon a few times, Artest completely locked him down even though Gordon is much smaller and very quick. All the talk of Artest losing a step looked, to me, like nonsense.

-- D. Fish is about done. He can't guard anybody. He will be getting less minutes as the year goes on.

-- If you bring a girl to a Laker game, the most important person on the court is none other than Lamar Odom, obviously because of his appearances on the Khardashian show. My chica, who knows very little about basketball, but was focusing on Lamar, opined (without even my prodding) that Lamar plays very very lazy. I was LMAO!
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-18-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
fun observations... Maxiel's block was awesome! I didnt see most of the first qtr...when i tuned in kobe was already dominating Gordon. As i heard it, kobe started off 1 for 6 and there was some smack talk on the floor, thats when he started doing the damage.
They played part of Gasols CSI appearance during the game and interviewed him...no face time for Odom on the Kardashians.