Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-28-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
we are thinking about purchasing the sony hdr-fx1. has anyone used one or does any one have one?
how is the picture?
we want Extremly clear video and a wide field of view. we want to use it for wakeboarding among a list of other things.
also how easy is the film to edit?. i use adobe premire elements 4. im okay with the program. the main thing i use it for is moving video around and adding music. but is it reletivly easy to work with?

so any insight on it would be great.

also when uploading videos online. what site should i post them to. ive been told several times NOT to you youtube and to use vimeo. what do you guys use? thanks in advance
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-28-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Excellent lens/body, uses the HDV codec which is not the best for heavy movement, especially if applying software base slomo. Also editing HDV takes takes more processor time because the final video normally needs to be reconformed. Better solution but generally more expensive is Sony SXS based Ex1, Panasonic P2 system based cams such as the HVX200(a) & HPX170 and the new AVCHD based Panny.

You tube has a new HD based option but it appears it's still recompressing which Vimeo doesn't.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-28-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
rich,
i found the sony for 800$ is it worth it? i found it from anywhere between 2 and 3000$
i found it on one site for 800$ is it worth to buy?
we have also read its really good for low light conditions. and we need to film our christmas display which is in low light conditions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XMBBRXLsCU

we have multiple things like this. and we need good quality video for it.
thanks rich

David
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-28-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
if it's too good to be true....
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-29-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
Is it worth $800??? I think that goes without even answering but I would echo Joe's comment, unless it's a private party unit that's stolen I doubt you find one that cheap.

It's considered one of the best low light models out in the prosumer range, HDV has no issues recording low light footage, that's all dependent on the CCD block and gain amplifiers. I thinks its a pretty good deal even at 2K-3K since all the cameras I mentioned above start over $4K.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-29-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
rich,

pricingdepot.com has a sony dcr-vx2100 for $949 we where told by vista rentals that this camera is better in low light then the hdr fx1 which is $999 on pricingdepot.com take a look at the video i posted again and tell me which one you think would be better.

pricing depot.cm is a legit site. i know several people that have bought there. so which camera do you think would be a better deal?

thanks for all your help rich. we know VERY little about video photography

David
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-29-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
ehh....alright, well I'm gonna say this once and the let you be scammed.

PricingDepot.com appears to be a website that finds you the best deal, and then your purchase runs through another company. I searched for the FX1 and the VX2100 and both times PricingDepot.com came back with a too-good-to-be-true price from SonicCameras.com. Hm. ResellerRatings.com says SonicCameras.com is a scam. Their rating is .87 out of 10. That's BAD! And the comments are just as bad. Here's the link http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sonic_Cameras

I'm happy that your buddies bought some stuff through PricingDepot.com, but I'm guessing that they weren't cameras purchased through SonicCameras.com
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-29-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
scott,
i wasnt aware of that. but thanks a ton for letting us now. you probably just saved us a ton of time and money. haha.

thanks though. ill make sure to tell my old man
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-29-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
scott. i just told my dad and he said that it wasnt sonic cameras. he said that it was shop digital direct.com and he showed it to me. so i looked it up on the site you gave me. and it got a .96 out of 10. which isnt much better. and i read some reviews and they are a legit company but they just try and rip you off with batterys and software and that type of thing. so he is going to call them and if he doesnt like it he is going to tell them to pound sand. and my old man is normally pretty good about this stuff.

but anyways. thanks a ton scott. i appreciate you looking out for us.

David
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-29-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
I got the FX7 and its awesome.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-29-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   

quote:

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 5:23 pm:

if it's too good to be true....

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-29-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
David,

the VX2100 is a DV model which is SD not HD. while they were very good cams anything SD is really kind of dated now. either way both cams prices sound to good to be real.

Give it a try, if you can get either one for that you'll be the first! and BTW getting the cam for $900 and paying an extra 2 grand for some batteries and a warranty doesn't count!

Upload
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-30-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
hahahahahhaha. very nice rich. we decided that we are going to try it and if they call and say we "NEED" something else to make the camera work we are going to tell them to pound sand and go buy it else where. thanks for everyones insight. i really appreicate it
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-30-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
Then they will charge your credit card and never send you the camera. But please, do buy it through them. I could use another "I got scammed - what should I do?" thread
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-30-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
haha. we decided not to buy it. we are going to rent one and if it works for what we want we are going to buy it used