Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-01-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
So here is my board I made myself out of Redwood. Its a 6' longboard and its super fun to ride. Hope you guys enjoy.
Attached Images

Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-01-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
That sir is b.a.! How'd you make it and of what if you don't mind sharing your secrets. I love building stuff. And what are you holding.onto? Some kind of go pro stick?
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-01-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
Just read the redwood part
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-01-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
It started out as 2x6 Redwood and glued together with a started rocker shape and then planed down and finally finished shaping with sandpaper. Lots of fun but lots of work. We just stuck a mount on a pole a friend of mine had and made it work.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-01-2013, 6:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoesurfer View Post
It started out as 2x6 Redwood and glued together with a started rocker shape and then planed down and finally finished shaping with sandpaper. Lots of fun but lots of work. We just stuck a mount on a pole a friend of mine had and made it work.
That's awesome did you use dowels to hold the pieces together with regular wood glue?
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-01-2013, 7:33 PM Reply   
I used Titebond 3 wood glue no dowels.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-01-2013, 7:58 PM Reply   
That's awesome ill have to try it. Idk why this post is.not getting.more.love for the DIY
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-01-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
thanks for the interest. Yeah I thought more people would chime in. Maybe I should try and post the video in a different way and not just a link.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-01-2013, 10:32 PM Reply   
did you seal it? I usually advise sealing with acrylic, poly or oil for redwood or cedar boards, depending on your personal taste. You can also melt, surfwax or ski/board wax into the wood fibers with an iron much like waxing skis or a snowboard, then scrap and rub out. It does a good job of keeping the board from sucking in too much water over time. The constant wetting and drying can do a number on wood boards. Otherwise the vid is cool; wake looks fun and the board just has a nice classic look.
Nick
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-01-2013, 10:35 PM Reply   
Oh, also consider chambering the 2X4s, if you make another. It will lighten it up considerably.
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-02-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thanks for the props Nick. Yeah I thought about chambering it but didn't do it because I wasn't sure how thick I wanted the board. I just oiled it for now and yeah we will see how long she last. Not sure what sealing route I will go on the next one but it will be fun to do another one.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-02-2013, 7:35 AM Reply   
It is a good looking board. It is inspiring me to get back on some balsa and other wood boards I have around here. I have spent many hours going through stacks of cedar pulling out the driest and lightest boards I could find. Of course the wet ones are a little easier to put a natural bend in. Helps reduce the waste material.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-02-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
You should try and cross step that thing.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
How did you "start" the rocker shape? Run the pieces through a bandsaw or something so that they were all the same? I LOVE this board! Very cool!
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-02-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
Yeah its super fun making your own board. My next one will probably have some nicer looking wood in it. Maybe a couple of cool looking stringers out of different hardwood. Cross stepping is fun but more difficult at wakesurf speeds. What I did was cut the 2x6's with a jigsaw first to get the start of the rocker then glued them together but it is a lot of waste of the wood.
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-03-2013, 4:44 PM Reply   
Dave dood... that board is sweet!
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-03-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Hey Corson thanks for checking it out. Hows it going up north? Hope you are having a good summer. Are you bona try and make this years polor bear?
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2013, 10:48 PM Reply   
So cool. I am envious of your skills!

If you build again, show more pics of build!

Ps, that go pro view from behind you with the pole in your vest is awesome!

Last edited by newwhit; 07-03-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-05-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the interest. Yeah when I do another one I will take more build pics, I think I have a few from this one I will see if I can dig up and post. Yeah the Go Pro's are alot of fun to play with.
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-07-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
Dave,
You rock buddy...I still have my "free ride" ticket from the open. Martinez raved about it the entire VIP session at the Shred Fest....see you at the Polar Bear..
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-07-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
Allan yes you do! Yeah I think you will love it. Maybe we should have the longboard class from the WCO at the Polar Bear? Good times to be had.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2013, 12:49 AM Reply   
That's a great video dave and great angles. That board is so cool looking, and everyone I know that rode it loved it.
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-08-2013, 5:32 PM Reply   
Thanks Robert, those Go Pro's are alot of fun I've got a few other ideas for them as well. We need to get together again soon and get RJ on it. I think he will have a blast with it.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2013, 7:08 PM Reply   
One thing to try, is when shooting on a pole, hang the gopro down, and set the settings to tell it you are shooting upside down. Its much easier to hold, keep stable, etc. Gravity does all the work, doesn't fight you.
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-08-2013, 7:12 PM Reply   
Yeah I thought about that when we were out but didn't know how to set it up that way. So next time I'm going to give it a try.