Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-02-2011, 11:15 PM Reply   
Today Shawn from Wet Sounds stopped by, as promised, to let us get one of the first looks at the newest tower speaker products. He came with a pair of Rev 8s and also a Rev 10.

The speakers now use all of the space on the face of the speaker and eliminate the large border. This allows the new 8” driver to fit into the Pro 60 housing and new 10” driver to fit in the Pro 80. The look of the grill I fell in love with as soon as I saw them. The stainless is now recessed into the grill and has a negative dish. The inward concave of the grill on the Rev 10 compared to the older grills was like looking at a nice set of forged deep dish wheels compared to a stock cast set of rims. Attention was taken to make sure that all of the surfaces are smooth and nothing looks like an afterthought. Another nice touch was integrating the Wet Sounds logo into the grill compared to using a stick on logo.

The new quick disconnect swivel clamps were the next thing to check out. Wet Sounds went above and beyond engineering a swivel clamp that has everything that you need, want or never knew you needed. Tons of thought went into making sure that the clamps were easy to use, reliable and built like a tank. The wire is now routed into the clamp and the rubber inserts are no longer needed. When looking at the small details like the groves on the stainless release fork to aid in grip, you know that this clamp was designed by people who know what little things make a difference while out on the water. Seeing that the stainless steel retaining bolt is a heavy duty course thread means that it will not strip out like others I have seen. The wiring size is not compromised in any way to make this a quick disconnect clamp. Speaking of wiring, an optional harness will be available that will include the wiring needed for single color or RGB LED lighting. Wet Sounds planed for LED lighting into the clamps, I wonder if Wet Sounds is going to release their own LED options… hint, hint. Rotation is about 30 degrees shy of 360 and is more than enough. The standard clamps are also a redesign. Like the swivel clamp, the speaker wire is now routed into the clamp. In my opinion, if you are going to be ordering the Rev 8s or Rev 10s, get the swivel clamps.

Fortunately I was given the notice last week that a set of Revs would be coming into the store so our display was already set up and ready to do an A-B comparison with the Rev 8s and the Pro 80s. Our demo set up is simple. IPod connected to a WS-420 and out to a SYN-4. I will be honest and say that every time I listened to the Pro60s or Pro80s I would turn down the “Mid” knob and the “Mid bass” up just slightly on the WS-420 to tone done the sound of the super efficient frequencies. The Revolution speakers have taken what I already knew to be the harsh areas and smoothed them out 100%. Tim can comment about all of the differences in the cone material, horn design, crossover, motor structure and everything else but what it all comes down to it HEARING IS BELIEVING. The Rev 8s did not sound like a horn at all. The natural bump in volume between 1-4khz is almost gone. All of the detail in the upper end of the instruments was being played like I’ve never heard before from a tower speaker. Mid bass is more defined and has authority. Kick drums sounded SOLID. I can go on and on about the sound of these speakers but you really need to hear them for yourself.

Sadly, we had to take them down from our display and wait for our shipment to come in. The first comment I said to a coworker after the initial excitement wore of was “Holy crap that was just the 8 inch! What about the Rev 10!!” We already have the Rev 8s and the Rev 10s on order and can’t wait to ride behind a boat with a pair or two or four on the tower. Once we get our first shipment we will have them up and ready to demo.

I want to congratulate Team Wet Sounds for making a superior product and bringing to market a tower speaker line that has the same type of revolutionary impact that the first version of the Pro80 did in 2004. The Revolution Series is going to make boaters, wake boarders, wake surfers, partiers and anyone within 100 yards of them very happy (except maybe the grumpy fishermen).

I hope this review is helpful. Let me know if there are any questions I might be able to answer.

A few pictures below and a few more on our Face Book Page: http://www.facebook.com/acmetopsandtunes

Me Happy with new toys!!
Name:  DSCN7769.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  98.7 KB

Rev 10 with a sexy grill
Name:  DSCN7770.jpg
Views: 2966
Size:  72.9 KB

Swivel clamp. Final production pieces will have different wire management. Notice the extra 4 wires at the base for LED lighting.
Name:  DSCN7775.jpg
Views: 3269
Size:  98.7 KB

Rev 8
Name:  DSCN7782.jpg
Views: 2801
Size:  67.0 KB

80' Listening test. WOW! The speakers are at the bay entrance. (sorry about the lens cap)
Name:  DSCN7784.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  73.8 KB

Top: Pro80
Bottom: Rev 8 with temporary wiring job and swivel clamp loose.
Name:  DSCN7788.jpg
Views: 2941
Size:  104.2 KB

Top Row: Pro80s
Bottom Row: Rev 8s
Name:  DSCN7794.jpg
Views: 2827
Size:  89.0 KB
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-02-2011, 11:29 PM Reply   
Wow, very impressive, thanks for the pics!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-03-2011, 4:32 AM Reply   
Looks dope
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-03-2011, 5:37 AM Reply   
Very nice! Those new grills do look really cool.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
will the rev 10's have the speaker connection at the back like the pro 80's do now? I"d just like to swap mine out for the rev 10's
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-03-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
Wow - those are beautiful! I am looking forward to hearing a pair.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-03-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
If you opt to go with the new swivel, quick release clamps, do you need to be worried about theft? Or is there a way to lock them down so they can't be quickly unclipped and stolen by a thief?
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-03-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
Brenden- No more visible connectors regardless of which clamp you use. Now the wires will be hidden for a very clean install.

Fozz- The swivel clamps are a two part process one of which is an allen bolt. I think they could be more secure then the sampson but the idea of making them removable negates making it difficult.

All in all the speaker and clamp construction is top notch and they do sound more like a conventional speaker and less like a HLCD.

Cheers
Scott
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
so the wires go through the top of the clamp now? I have pro 80's now and was hoping these would just swap.. but it seems like I would have to drill a new hole to get them to work correct?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-03-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
I see Ian's new MB in that pic above...

What's taking so long?? Deliver that bad boy so we can see the finished product!!!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-03-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
it's scheduled for pick up tomorrow, so it should be almost done!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-03-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Great write up Ben, thanks. Everyone that has heard these seems really pumped. Will there be a loss in throw from the toned down HLCD's?
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-03-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqwrx View Post
Fozz- The swivel clamps are a two part process one of which is an allen bolt. I think they could be more secure then the sampson but the idea of making them removable negates making it difficult.

Cheers
Scott
So to remove the speaker from the tower you still need an allen key? I leave my boat parked in a private lagoon beside the lake, but there is a public boardwalk that runs along it. I use my boat 4 or 5 days a week in the summer, often only to get a couple of quick sets in. Having to remove the speakers everyday is way too time comsuming...

Maybe I would be better off going with the traditional clamps?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-03-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
Awesome post Ben! Glad you like them. Hope to get you the REV 10 production pair this week to test.

Mike, you will need an Allen to remove the swivel clamps.

Hate, the technology we designed in these speakers gives you the output and throw of HLCD and the sound quality of non HLCD. The horns are not toned down at all. They are built in a way matched with the crossover to keep the output but eliminate harsh frequencies and have amazing sound quality.

They really do need to be heard to be believed!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-03-2011, 10:00 PM Reply   
For those of you that want to make the upgrade from Pro80s or Pro60s you are not alone. I already recieved calls from previous customers today asking me how much and how soon. Tim can confirm this but I think the easiest way to not to drill a new hole would be to order a set of the old connectors when getting the Revs and put the female end into the new housings. Maybe?

Now for the exciting news....

REV 10s will be available to demo this Friday (May 6th) at Acme but for a VERY limited time.,, 8:15-9:15am we can enjoy them before they need to get on a plane back to Texas. Everyone is invited.

If you are in Nor Cal and want to hear the Revoluion, you need to make it down. I'll bring the coffee and dounuts, you bring your ears.

http://www.acmetopsandtunes.com
6430 Franklin Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95823
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-04-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
Demo has been canceled.

Sorry for the tease everyone. Due to a scheduling conflict we are going to need to delay the demo of the Rev 10 tower speakers. I will keep you updated on a new date.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-04-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
UPDATE: We are trying our hardest to make it work for Friday. More info to follow soon.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-04-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
I just got off the phone with David at Earmark and we talked about putting 4 of the Rev 8's on the tower of my boat....I can't wait until I can hear these things!!!!!
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-04-2011, 2:46 PM Reply   
I think when I get home I need to see if it's going to be possible to put a Pro 485 and 2 Rev 10s on my tower now..
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-04-2011, 2:51 PM Reply   
Schedule fixed and we are back on for Friday!!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-05-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the patience Ben!. Sorry i have Shawn running ragged all over Cali, glad we could work it out to get back over your way for the demo.

I hope some fellow WW guys can swing by and take a listen, Shawn will have both the REV 8 and REV 10 this time.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-05-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
Tim, when will the dealers start seeing pricing and availability on the 8's and 10's? We may upgrade our demo boat this year with them.....
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-05-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
Shawn will be back in on Monday and be sending out all the updated info

You can call Justin or Omar as they have the info

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
Damn you John -- First on KY lake with them! AGH! haha...
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-05-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Just so you can hear them
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2011, 10:51 PM Reply   
A little less then 9 1/2 hours remaining.... I hope the neighbors are early risers because we are going to "Bring the noise" to ACME tomorrow morning. I hope to see lots of you there.

Cheers
Scott
Old     (bradcraig78)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-09-2011, 4:11 PM Reply   
Did the Rev 10's make an appearance? Any pics or review?
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-09-2011, 11:11 PM Reply   
They sure did and I do have some shots. I will try to get them posted soon. They sound amazing... Everyone that stopped by was impressed. Everyone but the neighbor two streets over that called several times to complain.... LOL
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-09-2011, 11:57 PM Reply   
I would like to give a big thanks to Ben and the whole crew at ACME Tops and Tunes for helping us take a listen to the new REV 10's. Not only did they get up early to make it happen they let us take over one of their install bays and parking lot for several hours on a busy Friday morning. Thank You

As for the Rev 10's....

WOW! More volume and definitely more mid bass then the pro80's with the same amp settings. They also sound completely different then the Pro80's or any other horn driver I can remember hearing (Including Pro80's, Exile, NVS and HSE). Most HLCD installs really need some amount of equalization to make them really listen-able at LOUD volumes to help remove some of the 1K to 5K harshness that can be present. Both the Rev 8's and Rev 10's seemed to be extremely pleasant to listen to right out of the box. Now more then ever it is important to demo your tower speaker purchase because hearing is believing.

Thanks again Ben and ACME Tops and Tunes....And to Shawn and Tim for getting them to my little corner of the world first.

Scott
Attached Images

Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-09-2011, 11:58 PM Reply   
Oh, in that last picture, Ben is on the left....
Old     (bradcraig78)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-10-2011, 4:58 AM Reply   
Can you compare the Rev 8's to the Rev 10's.
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-10-2011, 11:52 PM Reply   
Brad- The Rev 8's are great and the Rev 10's are more great... Seriously, they have a fairly similar sonic signature especially at distance behind the boat. The 10's simply play a lot lower and a lot louder. I think for most people Rev 8's will be the right fit with their smaller size and superior output. The Rev 10's are simply more... I like more, how about you?

I already have a dealer planning a system with 8 + pairs of Rev 10's to replace his Pro80's from last year. Cant wait to hear MORE....

Scott
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-11-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
Scott - Thanks for putting up the pictures.

The REV 10 Tower speakers are great. Going from the Pro 80s to the Rev 10s was a night and day difference. The mid bass was fuller and the midrange and highs had the same type of improvement that the Rev 8s do. For those who are trying to decide between the Rev 8s and the Rev 10s I would ask, do you what a smaller enclosure and similar mid bass at the Pro 80s or to run more power and get the most amount of kick drum back to the rider. My personal pick is the 10s because I love feeling the bass in my chest from the tower. We already have a couple boats scheduled for the Rev 10s and a few more in the works.

Since we were limited on time we left the amp tuned to the Pro 80s and switch back and forth between the two. I could tell that the Rev 10s could easily take a slightly lower crossover point and more power. We had the Syn-4 bridged (400 watts ea.) to the pair but I could see running a Syn-2 bridged (700 watts) to each and having plenty of headroom and dynamic range. I can't guarantee that the Rev 10 will take all of the Syn-2 but I always like more power than I need. Once we get a couple pairs installed and I get some out on the water I will give some more feedback.