Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    teenhack            01-22-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
I've used my friends often enough to understand the difference the right vest can make. The only problem is that the Jet Pilot Side Entry is not USCG approved... I've tried the USCG approved version but it's much bulkier and doesn't have the same flexability as its non-uscg counterpart. Now the only scenario I can think of where it would really be a problem is if I were knocked out... Its not like I'd be sitting in the water that long,just enough to get uo and recover from a hard fall.
My original solution was to just keep my old USCG approved lifevest in the boat, but is it worth the risk?
Also, the cheapest I can find one for is $99.95, if anyone knows of a cheaper shop I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Old    wakesurge17            01-22-2004, 8:35 PM Reply   
yeah but uf you got knocked out wearing a USCGA vest you would still drown
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       01-22-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
they have a uscg approved side entry vest, check out jetpilot.com. I have a uscg approved vest but its not a side entry one, i tried the non approved vest and i was thinking about keeping it but its not worth risking it, plus it counts as a vest you need in your boat so one less cheap uncomfortable oraange things. the cheapest i have seen is 99.99 at buywake.com
Old    wakesurge17            01-22-2004, 8:46 PM Reply   
I just don't see the point of buying a large clunky vest that chokes you when you crash. Wakeboarding is a risk in the first place, you will be fine as long as you have someone watching you at all times.
Old    teenhack            01-22-2004, 9:26 PM Reply   
Well, the idea behind a USCGA vest is that if your lungs fill with air, it should still keep you afloat. So basically it comes down to a luxary for your local coroners office. The USCGA saves them the trouble of having to fish you from the bottom of a lake, doesn't mean you still won't drown.
And Eric you make a strong point that no matter what, its all up the spotters in the boat to insure your saftey.
Old    teenhack            01-22-2004, 9:28 PM Reply   
Ohh I almost forgot, VMwake.com actually stocks Jet Pilot vests, USCGA approved and not, they are just not posted on the site yet. Email Chris and he can tell you more about that. Their listed price is $99.95, free shipping and no tax.
Old    maverick_gear            01-22-2004, 10:51 PM Reply   
YOU want the Jetpilot CELLBLOCK vest its side entry CGA and almost as small as the molded. it is segmented NEO and very very comfy and not bulky it is 139.95 and well worth it.
Old    jzwake            01-23-2004, 5:44 AM Reply   
IMO the jet pilot neoprene (not Molded) Non USCG vest is the most boyant NonUSCG vest I have ever own. I still love it. I'd say you be safe.
Old    wolfpack            01-23-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
If you're not in a pro competition, why take chances with you're life. CGA vests, will at least keep your head above water till your friends can pull you out.
Old    swass            01-23-2004, 6:01 AM Reply   
The shallow end of the gene pool is getting a bit crowded.
Old    teenhack            01-23-2004, 3:06 PM Reply   
Jetpilot Cellblock? Where can you find that at? I've check my usual sites but can't seem to find that one Maverick...
Yeah I didnt compete as often as I hoped last year, but this year I for sure will be compteting every chance I get. Last years vest however was way to bulky and cause me to drop too many handle passes that shoulda been routine. I was hoping that the molded would be small enough that I wouldnt worry about it...
Though still, something about drowning doesn't sound like fun...
Old    maverick_gear            01-24-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
do you have any shops in your vacinity that carry JP? VMwake and Wakeside are goin to have it up on their sites in the next couple weeks. ther is a full page ad about it in wakeboard and alliance in the last couple issues. if you miss a pass because of this vest i would be very surprised its crazy thin
Old    teenhack            01-24-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
Which one are we talking about? The Cellblock or the Non-USCGA Molded Side Entry.
My local dealer carries both USCGA approved and not and thats where I've tried them, but I haven't seen nor heard of the Cellblock until you mentioned it... I frequent Vmwake.com ritualisticly and have talked to Chris and they are going to carry them. So maybe I'll just wait and check it out on there...
In the mean time, whats it look like?
Old    maverick_gear            01-24-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
its a segmented NEOPRENE, so its a similar material to the s1 or baller vest but stitched into segments so it looks kind of molded style, its really sick. i think i can get a pic of one probly later today but if you can get alliance or wakeboard from this month or the last 2 im pretty sure there are ads of it in there. the only possible way to produce such a thin and unobtrusive vest is to use side entry technology which as im sure you know exclusive to JetPilot, if you have a zipper goin down the front or back of a vest it basically removes a 2in section of foam from the main flotation area of the vest meaning it has to be way bulkier to pass the test. with SideEntry the foam can be overlapped and attached under the pit where less foam is needed anyway therefore the whole vest minimizes in size making a USCGA vest that is completely unobtrusive and comfy.
Old    teenhack            01-24-2004, 9:08 PM Reply   
Awesome! I have the February and December issues of Wakeboard, so I'll be sure to thumb through those tonight, and my friend has the last issue of Alliance so I'll thumb through his too, if you wouldn't mind posting a picture too that'd be great...
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-24-2004, 9:39 PM Reply   
Say you crash, pass out and your choices are:

1. Your head is totally under water, your lungs fill up, you sink, your friends can't find you, and you die.

2. Your head is sort of under water, your lungs fill up a little, your friends pull you aboard, *maybe* have to do some CPR, and you live.

Which is better?

What's the deal with vests anyway? I really think it's a marketing thing and I think it's irresponsible for any company to make a vest that doesn't really work.

I have a $35 Ocean Pacific neo vest from Costco and I have no trouble with comfort, bulk, weight, or flexibility. It's cheap, USCGA approved, and 100x more comfortable than any old nylon vest. I can't imagine needing anything "better" unless I'm trying to put my legs behind my head or fit myelf into the ski locker.
Old    maverick_gear            01-24-2004, 11:53 PM Reply   
ya ill talk to hahn and see if he will take pics of the sample vest i've got cause noone has the images yet hopefully tomarrow or monday.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
im totally agree with taco
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-25-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
i dunno if i want my friends performing CPR on me, they've been known to put there lips in places i don't want to know about. j/k wear an approved vest guys
Old    teenhack            01-26-2004, 5:39 PM Reply   
arg... don't even wanna know how you know that...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-26-2004, 8:25 PM Reply   
uscg vests also give you one less thing to worry about when your leg is literally half ripped off and you are sitting in the water. your head is well above the water line and you can chill until your friends help you on to the swim platform.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-27-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
I was pulled over when riding with a Oneil Outlaw vest ( non USCGA ) I was wearing the vest under a dry suit and he stopped us because he thought I wasnt wearing a vest at all. When I unzipped my drysuit to show him I was wearing a vest, he recognized it as an non USCGA vest right away.
It didnt matter that the combination of my dry suit and vest floated me like a turd in a toilet.
The sheriff wrote me a ticket on the spot... $86.
I bought an approved vest the very next day.

Old    murrayair            01-27-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
I ride the JP side entry molded non-USCG approved vest and I have never had any cops hassle me about it. The vest is so great that it is worth the risk for me. Besides it floats me well enough that if i get knocked out i wont sink. I dont see why the Coast Gaurd has to have such strict regulations on vests. If it floats you it should be approved.
Old    swass            01-27-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
Dude, you are so clueless.
Old    maverick_gear            01-27-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
i talked to Hahn im gonna hit him up tomarrow and ill have pics of the CBV for you...