Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-18-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
So, what do you all think... I would estimate that my boat rides at a 20 degree angle between port and starboard and probably a likewise 20+ degree angle between bow/stern when I'm surfing.

I have a direct drive (Supra Sunsport) and I run about 1400 pounds of ballast concentrated on the surf side and stern. I'm usually within a few inches of my rub rail at rest and will run water at the rub rail about 8 to 10' from the stern along the surf side of the boat.

I am thinking that I'm probably still okay. I took a look at my oil pressure last night while surfing and I was probably 45 to maybe 50. that seems reasonable.

I've also heard recommendations of running a little extra oil (1/2 a quart or so) to compensate for the lean.

Any thoughts?
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-18-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
I run 1qt over full
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-18-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
Is the oil sump toward the rear (I know it is with the 350 Chevy direct drive)? If it is, you have it made, all the oil going back there anyway. the problem comes with a V-drive, the engine is in backwards, with sump toward the front.

I believe with Ford powered boat the sump is reversed.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2013, 5:59 PM Reply   
Ive also wondered.....
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-18-2013, 10:16 PM Reply   
Be careful on over filling your oil pan.

While it seems logical, PCM identified that over filling the oil pan was a source of engine failure and added several prominent warnings in their manuals about over filling.

Not sure if Indmar or Mercury has noted similar issues.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-19-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
The reason for not overfilling the oil pan is that the crankshaft can start beating the oil and frothing it. Then you lubricate with an oil/air mix which is a bad pressure lubricant. If you have great concerns you can install a fast reacting low pressure switch to a light. If it's set at something like 20psi or even 15psi you will see if you are momentarily losing pressure below what is safe for the operation of the engine at surf speeds. Your normal gauge is slow reacting. 45-50 psi is lots of pressure for up to about 7000 rpm.
For myself, I just make sure my oil level is good and the lubricant I use is of good quality, and run.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-19-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
Didn't indmar or one of them make a surf specific engine to address the issue? Seems they are acknowledging it?
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-19-2013, 8:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
The reason for not overfilling the oil pan is that the crankshaft can start beating the oil and frothing it. Then you lubricate with an oil/air mix which is a bad pressure lubricant. If you have great concerns you can install a fast reacting low pressure switch to a light. If it's set at something like 20psi or even 15psi you will see if you are momentarily losing pressure below what is safe for the operation of the engine at surf speeds. Your normal gauge is slow reacting. 45-50 psi is lots of pressure for up to about 7000 rpm.
For myself, I just make sure my oil level is good and the lubricant I use is of good quality, and run.
Which is impossible one quart over full. The air bubbles actually cause premature bearing wear.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-19-2013, 11:15 PM Reply   
Let me add a little information into the question.

I have worked on Trayson's boat quite a bit, including the transmission swap. I can verify that with the PCM351 (Ford 351w) that the sump is towards the stern.

Art, we are not running at 7000RPM while surfing, more like 3000-4000RPM.

The issue isn't one we considered with it, until my dad came out with us, who is an auto mechanic, previously a boat mechanic with his own boat shop, and used to build Ski Brendellas. He is very familiar with the DD platform and older engines in general.

This was his first time being in a boat while it was underway in a surf configuration. He had 2 concerns about the engine while the boat was listed.
1: The oil pump may not be adequately picking up enough oil and poorly lubricating the engine.
2: If it was, because of the angle, the starboard side of the engine may not be getting properly lubricated.

He suggested we look into it and possibly look into getting a higher flowing oil pump to ensure proper lubrication.

I am aware of the problem of overfilling it and the crankshaft frothing the oil making it lubricate poorly. My personal thoughts into it are, without tearing the heads off to check for excessive wear between the two to verify the problem, or pulling the engine to get to and replace the oil pump, that running an extra 1/2 quart to be on the safe side would be a good idea.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-20-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
The only reason to run extra oil is to keep the pickup covered. With the sump in the back you have nothing to worry about while surfing.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-20-2013, 6:28 PM Reply   
Surf, I know you are not running 7000. My point was you have more than enough pressure.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-21-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone.