Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-19-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
When I bought my 02 SAN a couple months ago, the trim piece that goes around the ski pylon was busted in half. I took the piece out and realized that there was a really shoddy job that was done (probably on a Monday morning) at CC drilling the holes through the gelcoat. Apparently, the builder drilled too close to the hole for the pylon and after some time, the hole completely wore through (See first two pics).

Upload
Upload

When I try to put the new bezel on in it's "natural" position, i.e. laying completely flush on the deck, the holes are not very close to lining up (See last two pics).

Upload
Upload

My question is, what is the best way to handle this? Should I:

a) Pull the pylon and fill the holes with some sort of epoxy/gelcoat repair material (I've heard Marine Tex works for this) and then try to re-drill & re-tap? My concern here is if I have to re-tap part of the original hole and part that was adjacent to it with two separate materials bonded together.

b) Pull the pylon, fill it, and just re-drill and use bolts and nuts/washers to hold the trim piece in (nobody will ever really see it).

c) Leave it as is (I know this is a nit-picky problem, but I'm a perfectionist as I know lots of you are)

d) None of the above

Hopefully you guys have some experience here...thanks!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
I would fill and re drill. I'm picky though.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       12-19-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
As long as the bolts you use have the same head as the self tapping screws and it looks factory, I don't see you couldn't drill them out and bolt it.
In my opinion bolts and washers with a good nylox (sp) nut correct for the application would be a more dependable long term solution.
I hate screws in gel coat anyway. So where possible I use through bolts.
Good luck.