Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-08-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
Alright, i am really considering the lightning but i just wanted to get some out side opinions on the boat. Also if you got pics of the boat and the wake i would love to see them and if you could list options that you got or wish you would have got or not gotten that would be great to. AND if there is anyone in minnesota that has one give me a holla cus i would love to get a ride... I know alot of people may bash me for choosing this boat but oh well from what i have seen so far they look like that are a good boat for the money. So if you can help me out that will be great.
Old    purestructure03            07-08-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
We purchased a 2003 Centurion Hurricane last year and so far, we LOVE the boat! It has definetely been a blast! We have had no problems whatsoever with the boat, but then again it has only around 30 hours on it. There are so many storage compartments on the boat that space is never a problem! As for the looks of the boat, there are a large amount of people who compliment us, even those who own much more expensive higher end boats. As for the wake, it's alright, not the best, but of course with a couple of fatsacs, you can always tune the wake to your standards (probably nowhere near a SAN's wake, but ah well). Personally, i think you can't go wrong by purchasing the new lightening! here's a picture..

Old    purestructure03            07-08-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
i didn't really answer of your questions now that i look again so i'll take another shot at it! haha..

We bought our boat with basically nothing besides the center ballast tank. Since then we've added a full stereo system, boardracks, bimini top and a side mounted spare tire...

One thing i wish we definetely got is Perfect Pass. Like you may already know, there are many products on your market to help you customize your boat a lot cheaper than it would be to get it installed by the dealership. It might just be a hassle that's all! but we were forced to take that route with no regrets at all!
Old    opsjmo            07-08-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
I just got a Lightning in early May...We LOVE it. The wake is good, I will look for some pics to send. It puts out a killer wake for surfing too. Options wwe got were, Tower, board racks, Spare Tire and Bracket, Pop-up Cleats, Bolster Seat (think that is what it is called, it flips up so you can sit high), center ballast, stereo w/ the 4 speakers, bimini. Since then I have put on the Fusion T3 Speakers with a Audiobahn amp, got some 350# fat sacks for lockers. The biggest thing Iregret no getting at time of purchase was perfect pass. I will be putting in next week hopefully. All in all for the money you can't go wrong with a Lightning....Email me if you got other ?'s or want some more pics...
Jasen
Old    roybotto            07-08-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
Hey Man,
We bought a Centurion Lightning this spring from Crystal Pierz marine in Fargo, North Dakota. So far the boat has been a blast! I would recommend it highly as everything has been top-notch. It is also nice in Minnesota cause you don't see many others. The boat has the same colors as Daryl's except with a silver tower. If you have any other questions, hit me up. Oh yeah, I posted some pics a few weeks ago.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-08-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
We have had 2 Centurions, and '02 and an '03. Both were Eclipse LaPoint promo boats. We had the 315hp Mercruiser, I would suggest upgrading to the Black Scorpion for more power. We have the stock Sony headunit w/ 4speakers. I think the headunit is good, but the speakers we got were crap, definately get the upgraded XPLOD speakers at least. We got some basic marine speakers from Centurion. We've also learned the the headunit cannont take any water or it will quit working. We have the Pilot 1 gauge, which covers a list of functions, but our always stays on depth and water temp. We like it. We have a small slalom ballast tank, just used to level the boat. The pump system seems to work well. We have the tandem Boatmate trailer which is awesome. We have a heater, great option as well. On the '02 we had the shower, never really used it and then ended up losing the nozzle out of the boat when it was unattached and got caught on the rope. We also have a bimini which is a much as well as Perfect Pass Digital Pro. Can't think of any other options we have off the top of my head.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-09-2004, 5:52 AM Reply   
Here are some pics of my 02 Hurricane. I absolutely love this boat. It has just been awesome. It has a great wake (I only run center ballast). I took all of my stock speakers out as well and installed a system (amp, sub, tower speakers, changer, and head unit). Riding and cruising with a nice system is more enjoyable. Definetly get perfect pass. However, mine did not come with it I added and man what a difference. I will always be a Centurion owner. The company is just awesome to deal with. I had some problems with the dealer I bought mine from and Centurion did nothing but bend over backwards for me. I also got a chance to tour the plant in North Carolina and I came to the conclusion that they really take pride in building their boats. GO BUY IT!!!!!
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-09-2004, 5:52 AM Reply   

Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-09-2004, 5:53 AM Reply   

Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-09-2004, 5:53 AM Reply   

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
Great looking boat!
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-09-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
Thanks Kev
Old    purestructure03            07-09-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
yeah i've gotta agree with Kevin, great looking boat! makes me wish that we would have gone with the all black too!
Old    opsjmo            07-09-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Here is a pic of 2 Centurions..

Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
I have a brand new Enzo 23ft. The boat rocks. Mine has the Black Scorpion 330hp which is pleny big to move the boat around even with extra ballast for surfing. The boat has a very unique look, tons of storage and a very large bow area. I pretty much got every option, but my favorites are: Perfect Pass, the flip up seat and the absolutly killer system WetBox installed. Also, the Proflight tower is one of the more sturdy towers I've seen. We mosly surf, and this boat throws a bigger, cleaner wake than any I've seen. I'll post some pictures when I take some.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-09-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
thanks Daryl. I have to be honest black is hard to keep clean but looks nice when it is clean. My favorite color is red. Your Hurricane looks sweet as hell. I talked to my dealer the other day about ordering an all red Avalanche. Man I can't wait.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-09-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
thanks to all of you for posting and puttin up the info... i must say that all of your boats look very nice. Especially the black ones. Gotta love the black boats. I am wondering how you guys Weigh your boats and if you have the factory ballast? being the center and the two rear and if you use and extra. any other stuff you want to throw out there bout these boats just put it up. Also if anyone has wake pics i would love to see em. thanks

peace
Old    purestructure03            07-10-2004, 12:36 AM Reply   
Lance, yeah i bet that black is pretty tough to maintain but like a car, when that black is clean, nothin is better! Thanks for the compliment! So you actually went through with ordering the Avalanche?

JasenO, that's a sweet picture! is that a Sanger in the back?

matt, we only use the center ballast tank and the wake is pretty clean. I'm not really the right person to answer your question about weighting so if anyone wants to help me out also, feel free to share! haha
Old     (blown65)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
Ya, I have the enzo also, love it. Wake wise its a little more rampy than a sanger that Ive ridden behind but not bad. Very clean wake though. Rides so nice though compared to the sanger. I got the 6.2 BS in it and glad I did. Like you mark I pretty much got all the options. :-)
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-10-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
hey how are you guys weighting your elite v/hurricanes? my buddy has one and we can't get a decent wake out of it, we've tried alot of differnt setups. we have lots of lead and bags, just need to know where to put it. thanks
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-10-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
David,
On my elite v I weight it as follows: two side sacs in the bow one under each bow seat. They do not fill completely due to room. But I estimate them at about 150 pounds each. Then the stock center ballast. And 280 pounds in each rear locker. Total ballast + - 1000 pounds. Also I have my wake plate cranked down. Hurricanes like to be weighted in the front. Try putting some people up there also. I ride at around 20 to 21 any slower and the wake is not clean with 1000 pounds + people.
Old    oshensurfer            07-11-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
What Chad said. Jas, I was wonderin who's camera caught that pic last week. I have about 350 in each locker and stock center tank which I think is 350.. Kevin R Baugh, can you confirm? I also put a 550lb fat sack in the foot well up front and halfway in the walkthrough. The wake is big enough for me and my friends, especially with a full tank of gas. Overall great boat. Well worth the money and the savings. Fineline customer service is awesome also.
Old    oshensurfer            07-11-2004, 3:28 PM Reply   
Oh and yes that is a V215 in the pic above.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   
Whats the V215 like Scott? I'm considering upgrading from my 210.
Old    oshensurfer            07-11-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
Very nice. If you post a new thread or email me, I'd be happy to reply with my thoughts.
I didn't mean to hijack this one.
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-11-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Call me crazy, but I don't see a Sanger?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2004, 10:24 PM Reply   
The red & white boat stern on in the last picture is a Sanger V215.

(Message edited by ralph on July 11, 2004)
Old    purestructure03            07-12-2004, 12:47 AM Reply   
not to hijack the thread but it's what i THINK is a simple question.. How exactly do you adjust the wakeplate if it's not an automatic one?
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-12-2004, 5:18 AM Reply   
I only run center ballast. 90% of the time their is 6 or 7 people in the boat and a little of you sit here and you sit there the wake is perfect.

Scott I'm pretty sure the center tank is 250lbs.

Daryl I haven't actually ordered the Avalanche as of yet I'm probably going to wait till the Atlanta Boat Show.
Old    oshensurfer            07-12-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
Daryl,
There are two locking nut type things on the struts on each side of the plate. You have to loosen those then you can spin the bolts that look just like the locking nuts. They are round. Here's a pic.
Manual Wakeplate
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
Scott

I have never been sure exactlly sure what the weight is but you in the right range 350 - 250 what ever it takes .

For some reason i can't get on wakeworld or wakeboarder from home my ISP is a JOKE and not a funny one.

I would recomend what most people have said.
if you dont have the bennet trim tab leave the plate at the factory default or crank it all the way up. Then a fat sack in the front and one on either side of the engine

(Message edited by krbaugh on July 12, 2004)
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
When you say crank the wake plate all the way up, do you mean:

1. Spin the adjusting nut all the way up so the plate is deeper in the water?

or

2. Adjust the plate up so the plate tip is shallower in the water?
Old    oshensurfer            07-12-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
Opposite:
Up meaning the plate is shallower.

Down meaning the plate is deeper.

Old    purestructure03            07-12-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
ahh i see..thanks for the diagram Scott.. If i adjust it, will the outcome be very noticeable?
Old    oshensurfer            07-12-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
Depends on the water you try it out in and how much you adjust it. If it's smooth and you adjust it by an 1" either way you'll notice the diff. I don't know if I'd go much further than that due to overstressing the plate. You'll see what I mean when you start adjusting it. I'm considering installing a Bennet Tab myself to make it easy.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
The biggest thing you will notice. The more you crank it up the more it will porpise on the top end.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-12-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
My friend's Avalanche has the wakeplate. It looks adjustable, but there is no hinge down below. In other words, if you got froggy with the adjustment, it seems like you would bend the plate or crack the transom. What gives? And for what it's worth, the trim is perfect from the factory.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
you can take it max in either direction the plate will not crack the transome will not break.
The Avalanche is not nearly as affected by the plate as the Lighning.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-12-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
Here are some more images of Scott and J's boat.. dam did any of you guys get any shots of my X2?... I forgot to get images of my own boat just some night shots.

By the way that 215 is my sisters boat and it is badd arss that is a very nice ride in deed.

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
Go figure a thread called Centurion owners and you don't see a Sanger.
Old    oshensurfer            07-12-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
Nice pics Larry. I have one of yours. I'll send it to you when I get back to work where my download cable is.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
Matt, check your email. I will attempt to post pics of my Cyclone on the board tonight.
Old    deltahoosier            07-14-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
I don't think I have ever seen anyone post a Centurion wake picture. Anyone have one?
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
yeah if anyone has pics of the wake PLEASE POST!!! also for all of you that have bought a centurion i am just wonderin what other boats you were also considerin and what made you chose this one? Also did you take a look at the cyclone when you made your purchase or was it not offered at the dealership (like in minnesota, they do not order any of the cyclones) i dont know why...and once again keep postin those pics cus i love to see em... WAKE PICS TO!!! thanks

peace
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-14-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
This one is for roy (or anyone else who cares to respond) I was just wonderin what you paid for you boat and if you were able to get the dealer to come down a bit on the price and also what extra options you got or if you just got a package deal... once again thanks for all your help
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
I love my Cyclone!
The lighning and Cyclone are very close in size and price could be he just wanted to have more of a selection of one model. The Cyclone is smaller and looks smaller on the inside. However I measured the inside space and they are very close to the same interior space. I liked the Cyclone wakeboard and Barefoot wake better than the lightning
Old    oshensurfer            07-15-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
Here's a crappy pic in chop.
Old    oshensurfer            07-15-2004, 9:54 AM Reply   
Here's a better one. BTW, this is a Hurricane. Stock 3 ballast and fat sack 1/2 in walktrough and 1/2 in bow footwell.
Old    oshensurfer            07-15-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
...and 3 peeps.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-15-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
What Chavez... No hat?
Old    oshensurfer            07-15-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
That was before we made him pimp daddy.
Old    deltahoosier            07-15-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
That thing is long and rampy.
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-15-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
Here is mine, love it never let me down.
Old    oshensurfer            07-15-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
Rod,
Yeah. I have the plate tweaked down a little too much in that pic. I've adjusted it a little up and now it has more vert, but I don't have any pics of it that way.

The size works for me though.
Old    deltahoosier            07-15-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
That's cool. Sometimes rampy can be a good thing. It allows you to work on things without getting killed.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-15-2004, 3:33 PM Reply   
Matt and Kevin, here is my new ride. 04 Cyclone with 3 tank ballast, storm 3 package. All we need now is tower speakers. Any body know if those from Liquid Audio are any good? Matt, don't count the cyclone out of the picture yet. Try a demo first. Very happy with it.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-15-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   
Matt and Kevin, here is my new ride. 04 Cyclone with 3 tank ballast, storm 3 package. All we need now is tower speakers. Any body know if those from Liquid Audio are any good? Matt, don't count the cyclone out of the picture yet. Try a demo first. Very happy with it.
My baby
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-15-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
here is mine...

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
Wow Black is hard to beat gotta love the silver flake graphic
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-15-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
Blue and Silverflake

Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2004, 5:26 AM Reply   
Patt, I have the Liquid Audio tower speakers. I just bought the cans and put Sony 6 1/2" in them. Little disappointed in the Sony speakers but to be honest it sounds decent to me. To everyone else it sounds good as hell. We can also hear them while we are riding.
Old    tommyj16            07-16-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
Where can you find used value for centurions. I can't find them on NADA.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
The are listed in the s's under Ski Centurion
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
Patt, Check out Loudliquid.com They have some killer stuff, for great prices... Cans and tower boxes
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
I like the Loud Liquid 6 X 9 setup. That will be my next purchase.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
i got that setup and i love it!!!
Old    tommyj16            07-17-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
Does anyone have an avalanche?? How is the wake??
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
OK this is for everyone, I am just wonderin if any of you guys hit your heads on the tower or if you come close. Because this weekend I went to the local dealer and they had an avalanche in so i was just snoopin around in that. I noticed that the tower was pretty low Im 6'4 and i almost hit my head on the tower so i was thinkin if i put speakers on i would hit my head for sure and i dont want to do that. So if you could give me some feed back and let me know if you have that problem and what you do to solve it...thanks

by the way i love those all black boats

peace
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
I have never come close in any Centurion. However I am more verticlly challenged than you are being 6' Where where you looking just curious if it is an wet coast or east coast boat? they use different towers
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
I am lookin in minnesota. The tower on the boat seemed to be different than the ones that i have seen at other dealers so i dont know.
Old    oshensurfer            07-19-2004, 4:32 PM Reply   
I have a skylon on mine and i can walk under it without ducking. With the bimini I have to duck a little.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2004, 5:08 AM Reply   
No problems walking under my tower, but then again I'm only 5'-9.
Old    oshensurfer            07-20-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
Reply. Guess this would help. I'm 6-0
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
Anyone having problems with their Pilot 1 depth guage? Our keeps flashing lines now and will lock on one depth for a while. We never had the problem with the one on our '02.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
No problem here.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
Lat year I really liked the Pilot 1, but this years is worthless. It is hard to change modes, etc. I think Centurion would be better off just using a water temp/depth gauge, as that is all we use on the Pilot 1. Our ballast level doesn't seem to be accurate, and we have other voltage and speedos.
Old    oshensurfer            07-20-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Pilot 1 is a POS. I use it for speed and temp only and rarely now that I have PP. Your sender is bad probably. I had to replace mine too. How old is it? It's a faria gauge and they are lifetime warranty for the most part, but I'm not sure about the sender/paddle wheel. You'll have to deal with them direct though or through your dealer. Fineline doesn't carry the warranty on the gauges any longer.

Go to www.faria.com and call em. Or call Fineline to the get the direct person to deal with.

Good luck.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2004, 7:27 PM Reply   
We had November '02 delivery on an '03, so the boat is getting closed to 2 years old, about 230 hours. I'm not a big fan of any of the Faria guages, though I don't really look at anything other than fuel/temp/voltage on them with PP having everything else. Our Sony CD player has started to go nuts as well.
Old    oshensurfer            07-20-2004, 11:02 PM Reply   
I think the Faria gauges look better than most. Just my .02 though. Haven't found a boat yet that is a few years old that hasn't had a bad gauge though. Cant figure that out. Why is it that car gauges never go bad but they can make a decent boat gauge...
Old    opsjmo            07-23-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
Anyone relocate the Pilot one guage to the far right side of dash and put a Perfect pass on the left side? Is it simple to do are the wires long enough to just move it?