Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Is it just me or would anyone like to see Grant & Clay expend even a fraction of what they put into their sound systems and design a ballast system? I can envision it now – empty & fill 2K+ lbs in 60 seconds, fully automatic, in-dash gauges indicating water levels & lbs.

Oh, and the bonus water cannon for spraying down unsuspecting wallys and jet skis!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
There's no room for ballast because all of their storage is filled with batteries!
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Yeah. I'm sure it would be some sort of "Flux Capacitor" / "Warp Core" looking setup using the waterline routing to cool all the subs and amps!

B/W the tunez registering on the Richter Scale and the sudden unexplained lake level drop registering at the DNR, people might think it's the onslaught of Armageddon.

Someone (superairdawg) drop some coins to make it happen!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-09-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
Hey If someone wants us to build them a Crazy Balast System you know how we roll. We would love to do one. There is almost nothing that cant be done. The only real challange in doing any custom project is keeping the cost down. And finding someone that is willing to allow you to cut into their most prize posession. A KGB style ballast (under the floor balast) is the first thing that comes to mind. I bet we could do a system that was completley stealth under the floor and electronicaly controled, and some sort of Auto stablizer a way of controling the weight in the boat (shifting water from side to side back to front ) depending on how your boat is weighted or how the rider likes the wake. And yes a dash mounted Pimpin display so you can change it at the touch of a button.
We can throw in a paint ball gun for the Ski's and Wally's at no charge
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
Rule makes a 8000gph bilge pump that runs on 12v. ( http://www.rule-industries.com/prodInfoApp/servlet/DisplayItemDetail?itemId=174D&catalogId=Marine&cat egoryId=BILGE&typeId=RNABP ) Thats 2.2 gallons per sec or 18lbs per sec about 1000 lbs per minute. So run two of those and your set. They require the use of a 2in hose and a intake manifold would have to be built. You could have a valve to switch to make a water cannon. Wouldnt be all that much pressure though. I would look into a marine water system pump called the headhunter ( http://www.headhunterinc.com/water_pumps.htm ) and a accumulater tank that could hold 70psi for the cannon. Or hell fab up a couple more water pumps on the motor and run it all with the engine probaly would need some bypass valves or something im just throwing down some ideas. All it takes is money and time right. I say go for it.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-10-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Grant,
How much would something like what your saying cost. I guess I may have to head that way and get it all done. Hey, I may not eat for a while...details.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-10-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Jeremy: in Dr eviel's voice "1.MILLLLLLLION DOLLARS",
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-13-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,

My Super Air ballast system is plumbed into the existing hoses and brings on an extra 800 lbs (2 rear fat buddies + bow sac). The system only requires you to through one valve and flip 2 switches. Total weight = 800 (add on ballast) + 850 lbs (factory) in about 6 minutes. Another sac will add 400 more pounds in another 4 minutes. The system empties in about the same time.

My wife can attest that Grant and Clay aren't the only ones with too much time on their hands. My current ballst version is the result of 2 previous "failed" attempts! I swear to God I finished it just in time... if she found me working on it one more time, I think she was going to kill me.

My old 2000 Air brought on about 700 extra pounds in about 5 minutes.

UJ
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-14-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
unclejessie,
how did you plumb in your front ballast. I have 2 350's plumbed on the back that where I can just hit the factory installed fill button, but I just wanted to know where you put the sac up front and where you plumbed it in. Do you have pictures? Man I wish I could just have Grant put about 3,000 lbs under my floor.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       02-14-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
I plumbed a couple side sacks in the bow of my SAN and filled them via a thru-hull I drilled. You can see a few pix here:

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1390

Since those pix I've pulled one bag and will be putting a battery or two up there to replace the weight. Yep, I wish Grant would get busy and show the SAN folk how to plumb under the floor!
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-14-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
Jeremy,

I had a custom sac made to fit under the front bow cushion. I use a 3 way valve at the add on ballast pump for the rear add on sac. When that sac is filled I throw the valve and it directs water to the bow. I use Simer pumps and a brass 3 way valve from Home Depot.

UJ
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-14-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thanks man,
I am still trying to figure out how to add my front ballast. I think I am leaning toward lead, as it seems complicated, costly, and takes up the rest of my storage if I use bags up front.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       02-15-2006, 4:12 AM Reply   
Yeah, it's a tossup how to get weight up there in the nose. I don't like trailering extra weight and when I had a couple hundred pounds up there it shoved my truck around a little -- that's when I decided to go with all water (removeable) weight. Of course, now I'm starting to lean back the other way and will be replacing a bag with batteries. AT least I'll get some storage back!
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       02-17-2006, 5:40 AM Reply   
unclejessie, where did you get your front bag made?

(Message edited by superairdawg on February 17, 2006)