Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Chaserwaser            06-08-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Looking at three different options for a new car

07+ Tahoe ( 1st pick )
05+ Jeep Grand Cherokee ( 2nd pick )
05+ Dodge Ram 1500 ( 3rd pick )

Price Range is looking from 15-20k tops
I know the Tahoe is going to be hard to keep under that price range but luckily I know a dealer who works for chevy so it could be a possibility

Anyone tow with a grand cherokee ? Hows it tow? I know its rated at 6500#
Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-08-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
I was dead set on a Grand Cherokee, but am so glad I went with the Tahoe (older version). I think that the tahoe with the 5.7 liter will get the same mpg's as the 4.7 Jeep, or pretty darn close( the new 5.3's are similar to the older 5.7's). Plus, the bigger engine and hopefully towing package will be beneficial also. The Jeeps aren't really known for being happy with a lot of weight behind them.

The size of the tahoe vs the jeep will probably make a bit of difference when towing. My old '97 does excellent - I could see upgrading to a newer one(tahoe or Sub) someday, but not going to the Jeep ever...unless it is for the second vehicle.

I believe most of the V8 Grands are full time 4wd, which really isn't useful towing.

The Jeeps are fun to drive, for just an "around the town" vehicle. Like I said, I was really close to pulling the trigger on a WJ. They will also pull your boat, but I'd go Tahoe. Also - 3rd row seating gets used all the time in mine.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
As an owner of an 01 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7, towing is ok but could be better. Don't expect to rush with a boat in tow. Just cruising around is where it really shines. I'll see 23-25 mpg on the gauge while cruising. That'll go down to 12 while towing. I only have a few minute drive to the launch which is nice. When I do tow for two hours to other lakes I take my time. I've never had any transmission trouble overheating or anything. I just slow down to 55-60 mph and take it real easy on the steeper hills. I love my grand cherokee, it's the 60th anniversary limited edition so it's got all options and I get complements about the ride in it quite often. If you're attentive while driving you'll have no problem towing with the grand cherokee. If you want a vehicle that you can hook up the boat to and just take off without any extra concern go with the Tahoe.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-08-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Before we got rear-ended wifey drove a fully-loaded 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with hemi and quadadrive 2 (full-time 4x4 with lock capability). The Jeep was our tow vehicle and towed very well for what it was. I now have a ram 2500 diesel. There is little comparison, but we got to the lake with both. Drive to our lake is 45 minutes with several steep windy canyons. Jeep handled them without a prob and never a lack of power. If you are going to go with the Jeep I would def get the 5.7 hemi. You will lose a lil in mpg, but if you are planning on towing with it you will be happy. We were very happy with the Jeep all around. Good luck, can't go wrong with any of your choices.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
I would suggest a truck for any towing. But how boat a toyota land cruiser from a few years back, will tow well and is a freakin tank.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-08-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
Loved my 2001 tahoe, best ride I have ever owned, period. Only thing I didn't like was the 5.3L. Underpowered for towing only, but great gas milage. Never had a more comfortable ride.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
Can you get any of those with a 6speed?