Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    boatarded            05-30-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Looking at a new vehicle for the family. Looking for opinions on the Sequioa, will it tow, mileage, etc. How would it compare to a Tahoe/Yukon?

Thanks in advance.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-30-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
I looked at them. they are a little light on the HP and very spendy. I am normally a chevy person but I ended up with a 5.4L expedition and love it. about 10k cheaper than the yukon and the third seat folds down completely flat. absolutely love the third seat folding and it drives like a car with the new suspension. Our boat weighs about 3000 lbs and no problems on any hills.
Old    dlb988            05-30-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
I looked at this 18 months ago. My conclusion was that the Toyota while nice and pricey did not have the low end torque needed to pull a boat out of the ramps with the same ease as the GM products. The ability of Detroit iron (now aluminum) V8's is very nice to have. We tow a Wakesetter LSV with out any problem.

My wife really wanted the Toyota but is now very happy with our 5.3 L Suburban.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-30-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
My best firned just bought one for his wife/boat tow vehicle. We just got done taking it from Escondido CA to Martinez Lake AZ for memorial weekend with 6 people and a 2001 Air Nautique behind it with all of our gear. It is the Limited package with leather seats, very comfortable ride and towed the boat rather well though you are on the gas going up hills. It does however suck the gas down as we had to fill up about 3/4 of the way there. The one thing i do have to say is that it is a Toyota so it should last for a long time. I have to say excellent river vehicle for 6-7 people
Old     (stevem)      Join Date: May 2002       06-02-2003, 7:09 PM Reply   
You would be happier with the Tahoe or Expedition for towing. The Toyota is a nice rig for hauling your dog or getting groceries, but it just doesn't have the torque for pulling anything heavy like a ski boat.
Old    kiwihottie            06-02-2003, 10:23 PM Reply   
Just my two bits, but I don't have any trouble towing our 22v with my Sequoia? Of course, my hubby will probably disagree but it's just that us women don't always want to have to smell all that diesel when driving to the lake...... I don't know much about engines but it definitely runs different since he got a hold of it? The exhaust is louder and there is some big shiny thing attached to the air filter under the hood? I know that our boat weighs quite a bit and I still don't have that much trouble towing up the hills to our lakes.......or hauling the dogs and getting groceries.... Oh well, just thought I would pipe in and represent the women drivers......
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-03-2003, 4:20 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, I have never smelled the wonderful smell of my torque producing tow machine's diesel exhaust while going down the road, what a sweet aroma that is.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       06-03-2003, 4:43 PM Reply   
I just got a new Sequoia,TRD edition,whatever that
is.We are swapping the use of one of our big boats for the summer & I get to drive this vehicle for a year with our neighbor the Toyota dealer.I had the 1500 Sub,I love the new vehicle except for the doors locking all the time.I pulled
a 20V Tige with no problems but I know I won't be able to tow any of our Formulas like I could with the Sub.
Old    h2oskier            06-03-2003, 5:45 PM Reply   
I just went through this exercise in Feb. I looked at the Sequoia but determined that it would be a bit lacking in the towing department although competent. I also thought it was overpriced for what you get. I ended up with the Expedition with the 5.4L and it is an awesome tow vehicle. The Ford has better low end and therefore more overall towing capacity but Tahoe has more overall horsepower. I think the Ford rides better with the new suspension and the auto folding third row is worth it's weight in gold. Folding flat into the floor is a great feature also. I towed my LXI over the grapevine a few times and I hardly noticed the boat behind the Expedition
Old    wakelvr            06-03-2003, 6:53 PM Reply   
We have a Sequoia and are very happy with it's performance. We tow our boat all over the place and have had 0 complaints. I can't compare it to an Expedition or Tahoe or Yukon though because we never owned one much less towed with one. We did compare prices with the Expedition and Tahoe and the Sequoia in our minds was worth the extra grand or so we paid.

We also tow with my Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Quadra Drive. The jeep is smaller and gets jerked around a little but all in all, not bad.

I want one of those H2's!
Old     (ltw235)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-04-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
I have a Sequoia as well and would agree that it does not pull as well as a Tahoe, Expedition or Yukon. Not enough engine torque. However, the engine is a rock and it will last forever. Plus, from what I understand, the Sequoia is safer [crash test], has better brakes and is more reliable than any similar American made SUV [just what I read in consumer reports]. The towing capability is acceptable, not great. For the factors that I considered most important,safety and reliability, the Sequoia seemed the way to go for me. Yukons/Tahoes/Expeditions are sweet though.
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-05-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
hmmmmmmmmmm, I have a 1994 Silverado x-cab with 5.7L and auto trans. I just came back from a long trip to Lake Havasu and my truck struggled towing my 2002 Supreme. I even have headers, 3 inch Flowmaster exhaust, AirRaid/K&N intake and throttle spacer, and it feels like I am towing a bus behind me. Keep in mind the motor has 120k miles on it, but it runs perfect and does not burn any oil. Actually it rips when not towing the boat, but hook up that Supreme to it and it's hurtin. I dunno what to do. The bigger better newer trucks are way too much $$ to spend right now.
Old     (jaxboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-06-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
My mom just got an 03 4x4. It tows the tige fine, but we are only going short disntances. It was never bought with towing in mind, but it looks sweet with the lift and 33s...
Old    skihardkore            06-06-2003, 7:48 PM Reply   
Karen, take your sequoia to the dealer and they will hook it up to a computer and turn off the auto-locks and pretty much anything else you want changed.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hi Wakeman,since they will be swapping my vehicle out every so often to keep the mileage down I guess I won't gripe,I just hate the loud ding with the key in the ignition,I'm sure my husband would disconnect that if it were our vehicle permantly.I think they hinted they would prefer it to stay that way till it sold.