Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (wakeboardad)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Thinking of buying a X-30. Anyone out there riding behind a 05 or newer X-30, maybe you can comment on the ride, wake, speed and agility of this boat.

Thanks...

Mark
Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
I've ridden behind one and personally i think its the worst of the x-seies line. Dont get me wrong i love mastercrafts but that is not the one to get. Unless you really weight it down in the back the wake is all ramp with no lip and can get pretty washy at times. Go for the 45 or a 15. Theyre all great boats but if you really want a serious wake the 30 isnt for you. Just my opinion.
Old    ldp            04-27-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
Mark, I have a 2006 x-30. I'm just beyond the break-in hours and the weather is finally getting better so I haven't ridden behind it that much yet. The boat is a very smooth ride and handles the chop with ease. As for steering manueverability, I got the new oversized rudder and it made all the difference in the world. I think it's an incredibly agile boat for its size. As far as the speed with a 1/2 tank of gas, two people in the boat, and the MXC engine we get up to about 42-44 mph. I'm putting a different prop on the boat to get a better hole-shot. The current prop/engine configuration with the boat weighted makes it a chore to get up to speed so we are going to loose some top end. But I didn't buy the boat to drive fast. For me, the wake is great. I find the wake is best with the boat evenly weighted or even with a little more weight up front. This makes the wake more rampy with a nice lip. The wake can be a little washy at 85ft rope length but is perfect at 80ft with a boat speed of 23.5mph. I'll post a couple pics but the quality isn't very good. I may have some more after this weekend. Upload
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-27-2006, 11:02 PM Reply   
Ryan
Nice meeting you at spring ride.
Are you going to Pedro this weekend?
Me and the family are planing a trip.
Old    ldp            04-27-2006, 11:11 PM Reply   
Hey Robert, I will be up there Sat afternoon . Unfortunately, I have to work on Saturday so we will be getting up there a little late. Will you be on the Flemming or the Mocasin side? We'll be on our houseboat on Sunday if you are around you should stop by. We are the Stars and Stripes located at Mocasin. The buoy closest to the marina about five boats back from fast water.
Old     (wakeboardad)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 3:54 AM Reply   
Ryan great stuff... Does the rear wedge make any difference out out of the hole?? Thanks again for the pic and comment.
Mark
Old    ldp            04-28-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
Mark, having the wake plate in the down position almost eliminates any bow rise. Also, it allows you to shape the wake. But it doesn’t make it faster out of the hole. I forgot to mention in the pic above there was less than a 1/4 tank of gas, just my wife in the boat, and the ballast tanks filled. Here’s another pic of the wake and me coming up short. I'm either 75 or 80 ft back with three people in the boat and the ballast filled.

Upload
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
i've ridden behind an 05 x-30 one time and thought the wake was great. we had about 6 people and some extra water over stock but i'm not sure how much. i really enjoyed the wake behind that boat. learned a new invert that day.
Old     (robert_t)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-28-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Ryan,
We'll look for you on Sunday.
Old     (wakeboardad)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
Great comments thanks very much.

I failed to mention that I am upgrading from a 05 X-2. Not sure if upgrade is a good word but, my wife hates the weekend rough ride and wants a bigger boat.

Heres a picture of the wake Im giving up.

Thanks again.
MarkUpload
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-28-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons on that one, but I have the same hull you're giving up and have to say that you'll probably want to ride behind the 30 before giving up that sweet sweet wake your current boat makes.
Old     (wakeboardad)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Jeff your right. I love my wake but hate the sour wife!!!! Hmmmmm wife, wake, wife, wake, wife, wake????
Old     (wakeboardad)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
Ryan

Looks like I have the little brother to your X-30...Upload
Old     (wakeboardad)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
Any more X-30 Comments???
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-28-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
Mark, I rode behind an 05 X-30 last Year. The wake was a super smooth ramp that I felt was great for beginners. More advanced riders may want more wake and lip than the factory ballast has to offer. I didn't like the factory cruise control (maybe because I am used to perfect pass). One of the rear seat cusions would deposit the passenger on the floor if they sat on the edge of the cusion. This may have been an 05 "feature" only?
I loved the wake as a beginner and went wake to wake for the first time behind the X-30. Since I have ridden behind boats with more agressive wakes and now prefer them. The boat was very solid with fit and finish that is exspected at this price point. It handled chop and white caps with ease even at 40-45. By far the best rough water handling boat I have been in yet. Interior felt HUGE with plenty of space for gear and people.
I say demo demo demo and then make an informed decision from YOUR perspective whether this is your next boat. All JMO.

Hope this helps.

Vince
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-30-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
It should be understood that the X30 & X10 wakes regarding length, width, shape, transition, etc are all exactly the same.
Old    lakebumrc            04-30-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
Dude, I love my x-10's wake. Nice and smooth when the ballast tanks are full and the middle fat sack is full. Add 5-6 or more people and your talkin about a pretty mean wake. I love it man, everything else just doesnt feel that good to me
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
My MC dealer (a Mgr) comments that the old 205 design, now the X-1 (your X2) and 2002's X-Star is still the best wake (for the purist). The reason is that the narrow beam provides the right combination of wake width, hardness and ramp. The newer, wider generation of boats require more weight (to sink the boat), produces a wider wake, and the resulting displacement creates deeper troughs outside the wake. The trough is a secondary "speed bump" outside the ramps which is not ideal.

I wouldn't really know, since I've never ridden behind an X-30. I was considering trading in my '02 X-Star, I got this comment recently. Seem's odd that my dealer would not jump on a chance to make a sale.

Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-01-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Mark,

The 06 X-30 is larger than the 05 X-30. Very much a different boat, wider and heavier.
Don't know which wake is better, I have an 03 Maristar 230 which is the same boat as the X-30.

I'm a novice rider, but I do like mine. Lots of interior space, storage, smooth ride, good wake (I tried 500 lbs. of rear ballast, but none in the front which it really needed)

I added the larger rudder because mine had the small one, handles like a different boat now! Very responsive in turns, more like a smaller boat.

If you're buying new, compare the X-30 to the X-star. Less interior with the X-star, but a better choice for wake, style and resale value in my opinion.

You could get more MC opinion on www.tmcowners.com.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       05-01-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
I know there are tons of choices, but the X15 is new also (replaced X10). For size, it's b/w the X1 and X30.
For what it's worth, we (wife and I) got out of our X10 to get into the 205V (X-star/X2/now X1) hull. O/C you have to get what you need for your situation.
Sorry, no experience regarding X30. However, one of the rags that do the big review of boats had the X30 listed as a hardcore wake model as was the X-Star.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-04-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
I rode behind my friends x-45, and let me tell ya, with all the ballasts filled, the wake is crazy, its way TOO steep, I find myself going straight up instead of up and out. I think the X-45 and X-80 were only made by mastercraft to please people with too much money and not a real passion for wakeboarding. Thats just my opinion. Dont get me wrong, Its perfect for my friend; their family is huge and they allways have a ton of people with them (x45 seats 21, I think), and they prefer to cruz around.

Ive never really ridden behind an X-30, but if it is like the x-45 I think the wake is too steep. Its like wakeboarding behind a barge. If your really serious about wakeboarding and want a nice wake get an X-2 or X-Star. Sorry I cant give you much info on the X-30.