Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (scott0)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-29-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
do universal pylons come short so u can fit the big boat into the garage?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-29-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
they come completely off if thats what you're asking
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-29-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
ummm well you can get a 2 piece extended pylon and you can take off the top half to make it fit in the garage . . . I'm not really sure what you mean by do they come short . . . . Are you adding a pylon to a boat that does not have a factory pylon ?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-29-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
Never heard of a men asking for a shorter pylon.

J/K a friend of mine installed a Monkey Bar on his old 95 Chris Craft. Not exactly sure who made it but it worked well. U shaped bar that bolted to the gunwalls, tied to the bow eye and could be folded down.
Old     (scott0)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-30-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
the mastercraft x star doesnt fit in the garage with the tower, even when its folded down. i am going to put a pylon on it and im wondering how much shorter will it be than the tower?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-30-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
Going from a tower back to a pylon is a huge step backwards. You rider will get way more flex to the sides when riding tied to a pylon. And you will contend with the bow cable anytime your walking to the bow or even standing up from the driver's seat. Not to mention all the other benefits of a tower, room for racks & speakers, etc.

Regardless, if it's really what you want to do, get a pylon & cut it down to whatever height you want. Or just keep it removeable so you can pull it down when it goes in the garage.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-30-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
monkey bar is made by flyhigh by the way, essentially by barefootinternational.

http://fatsac.com/
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-30-2007, 10:24 PM Reply   
I would look into an aftermarket tower swap before going to a pylon.

Will it not clear the door? Get an est. on having the door header raised and a taller door. How much do you lack, a few inches?
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-31-2007, 3:43 AM Reply   
How does the rider get more flex side to side with a pylon over a tower then?

I have a 2 piece pylon on my mastercraft. Takes a few seconds to remove when we cover the boat up. Yeah its not as good as the tower on my v drive for loading with goodies but its just as functional for getting the line higher.

(Message edited by jayc on December 31, 2007)
Old     (scott0)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-31-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
which pylons come off from the bottom?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-31-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
All of them, Pimp. They all slide over a ski pylon & then have a cable running to the bow. For example; Ten Foot Pole, Skylon, Air Boom, etc. Some of these manufacturers also make a "tripod" style pylon that has a base plate on the floor of the boat, and two side supports in addition to the cable. These are typically not used on inboards though.

Jay, the cable only supports directly in front of the boat, not to either side. Cut out on the side of your boat & pull hard on the rope. Or better yet, do a jump or air roll. Under-rotate it a bit so the landing is a bit rough, but hold on & pull it out. Ask anyone in the boat if the pylon flexes. The taller the pylon, the more they flex.

I agree with TigeMike..... look into an aftermarket tower that will collapse lower than the factory tower. Towers made by Titan or Monster should be way stronger than any pylon & collapse as low or lower than the windshield.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on December 31, 2007)