Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-14-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Im removing the stock 250# tanks in the back of my 05 Malibu and putting either 550s or 750s back there (not sure what size yet). Can anyone give me a list of the required fittings/adapters needed to replace the tanks with bags and any other pieces I may need during the install and WHY? Ive been looking around on here and malibucrew and I keep finding different answers. Thanks!
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-14-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
These guys can probably help you out:

http://www.wakemakers.com/
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-15-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
I have a lot of hours behind an 2005 VLX myself. I suggest 750's on top of the hard tanks but that is just my opinion. I would go with the Fly High 750 bags when removing the tanks. You are going to have the room and they will be full most of the time when wakeboarding and surfing.

Below is a list of parts and a brief how to. These parts are for each sac. Wakemakers sells a kit (Tank Buster) that will have all of these fittings banded onto the correct hose lengths and the Malibu to Fly High Sac pump adapter but you can do it all yourself.

Basically the W736 fittings will screw into the 3 ports on your sac (Fill, Drain and Vent). The Fill and Vent W742 Elbow fittings will quick connect onto the W736's with an extension of hose clamped onto the barbed side. On the other end of the hose will be 3/4" barbed union fittings to extend the factory hoses to the top of the bag. The W745 fitting will screw onto the factory pump that you will unscrew from the hard tank. You will then connect the last remaining W742 fitting to the W745 with a small section of hose. This will complete your installation. Sounds pretty easy because it is. Make sure to use hose clamps where every hose in connected.

1 x Fly High Pro X Series Fat Sac
3 x Fly High W736
3 x Fly High W 742
1 x Fly High W 745
5 ft. 3/4" Hose
2 x 3/4" barbed union fittings
8 x 3/4" Stainless Steel Hose Clamps
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-15-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
Spencer- Thanks for the list and summary of the install! Ive asked a bunch of differnt people and I get different responces from each of them. It was annoying beyond belief! I have a vride (old vlx hull) and it has the above floor tanks, and that is why i will be removing them and not putting the 750s on top of the 250s. Again thanks man!
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-15-2010, 10:55 PM Reply   
Hayden,
I am so stoked you have a V-Ride because I was wrong about the 2005 VLX. After 2004 the tanks are under the floor and you are forced to do the piggy back system. The exception as you know is the V-Ride. Let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks,
Spencer
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-16-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
This may sound stupid but... what is the difference between venting and not venting? Is one better than the other? Are there any benefits to either one? If your bags are not vented, what do you have to do to get the air out of the bags and lines? Just squeeze the bags flat? Sorry for the dumb questions but this is my first time with ballast bags and I want to make the best decision the first go round. Thanks again for the help so far!