Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-23-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
I need some help understanding why my new JL 12w6 with a e1400d is clipping. The old/other RF punch P2 sub pounds when i hooked it back up after I didn't like the performance of the JL.

I turned the gain down and the input sensitivity down trying to get it to at least equal my other set up. All i have done is move the sub line to one sub to the other.

Did I buy to weak a amp in the e1400d or are my settings just that different for the JL.

I don't like the muffelled base when its in the passenger compartment over the boom of under the drivers compartment.

Whats up?
Old    deltahoosier            06-23-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
Are you just trading the speakers in the same enclosure? If so, that is more than likely you issue. Even then your new enclosure could still not be make correctly. Need more info. What is your cross over frequency?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-23-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
"I don't like the muffelled base when its in the passenger compartment over the boom of under the drivers compartment.

Whats up?"

Same problem I had when I first fired up my system. I decided against the sub going at the drivers feet for two reasons, long, expensive RCA's, (three amps), and the "pounding" the dash and guages take on some of the ones I've seen. (can't be good for them). Mine is a sealed box by the way, and did not hit well until I opened the observer seat back, allowing the sub to push air. I corrected the problem by trading my glovebox for a sub vent. If you vent the enclosed area it's in, (pasenger compartment) , it won't sound muffled. I'll try and get some pics but I've seen some on here that made custom vents in the seat base as well...
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2007, 10:56 PM Reply   
Not to be insulting, but do you have it wired correctly? Simple over site with a DVC sub can give you problems.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-24-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
Thanks to all...The JL is in its own box which is sealed, I posted pic in a earlier post. I did look at the wiring but in truth I had the stereo guy build the box and he looked at the wires. Crossover? Im still learning what is what and don't know if I did something to it.

I did notice that riding with the door cracked it sounded better, but it can't go that loud, like 18 or 19 on the volume. The other RF i can blast no problem. ???
I was hoping not to have to drag the boat to someone for a fix.

So ya'll think the sub has the right power @ 400w?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-24-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
With that power it should sound great. I think it's to close to the floor. Try setting it up on it's side and see what you think.
Old    deltahoosier            06-24-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Can you play the new JL at full volume outside the compartment. Try the test outside first. You may have higher pressure being generated by the new sub and now getting pressure waves canceling the sub out.

Was the box a stock JL box or custom? Box shape can affect the sub. If it is a custom sub box it could be a little large which means it will hit it's limits of excursion easy and limit your low frequency response. If it is a custom box ask the installer what Q he built the box for. You should be around a Q of 1. If your out of compartment test sounds like crap, you can try adding insulation to the enclosure to help with the dampening. It could also be that the old sub is in a smaller box which will increase it's power handling. Draw back is, it will make the sub boomy and keep from playing the lowest base notes. People who listen to rap generally think the boomy base sounds best. That is a Q of around 1.2 and above. ALso, speakers do like to be played in a vertical position so the mechanical forces are equal in and out of the movement. A good crossover position is generally around 80 hz.
Old    deltahoosier            06-24-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
Oops. Sounds like a custom box. ask the installer what he designed for. If he does not know then he is just reading the basic install guides and really does not know sub enclosures. Did he wire the sub for series or parallel (I assume it is dual voice coil). Is your old sub dual voice coil? If the old sub is not a dual and the new one is wired for dual, then the new sub will have lower impedance. That means your amp is going to put out more power at the same volume settings. You just simply may be putting too much power to the new sub.
Old    deltahoosier            06-24-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
Oh...Even if both subs are dual voice coil, you can buy dual voice coil subs in 8 ohm coils and 4 ohm coils in which you still may be putting double the power into the new sub and not even know it. Worst case just adjust the gain on the amp to match the new sub on the out of compartment test. Use your nastiest bass tracks and set it for that so you never have to worry about blowing it. Let us know how it goes.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-24-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
W6's are dual 4 ohm vc only.