Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-16-2013, 7:49 AM Reply   

This video really blurs the lines between using a kite instead of a ski/cable or winch.

What do you think? Maybe after watching the video you be a little more interested in trying it out?
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       08-16-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
I've always thought kite boarding looked like a lot of fun and would love to try. That edit was rad, thanks for sharing.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-16-2013, 10:18 AM Reply   
So sick. Definitely wanna try this at some point.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       08-16-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
Always wanted to try and looked at some places that will teach you the basics, but the $2000 price tag for a kite and stuff is a little daunting, because I'm sure I would like it ... haha. Can you just use a wakeboard and wakeboard bindings? I've never really seen why you couldnt
Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-16-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
You could use a 2010 Watson Hybrid (The booya one) or the Von Viedel Schnock for decent kiteboarding. There are great Wakestyle kiteboards out there (Tona Pop, SS Asylum, Cabrinha Custom, etc...)

you can check kitescoop forum for more info.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-16-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
Wow, that was a lot cooler than expected. Impressive.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-16-2013, 9:52 PM Reply   
Kiteskoop.com is the place for wake style kiting. You can use some wakeboards but kiteboards are way better, especially if you're learning. Tona Pop and the SS Asylum are a great choice.

Keep in mind that unless you live somewhere that is consistently windy ( with the right kind of wind) kiting can be a frustrating sport. I'd take a nearby cable any day.
Also. Spots like that one in the vid with features are REALLY few and far between.

I love kiting though and it's awesome to ride totally on your own. No other people needed to have a great sesh and your boat" or "cable" will easily fit in the trunk of your car.

For all of you wanting to try. Get lessons and don't kill yourself. If you know what to get and buy used you can get all you need to get started for less than 2K total.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-17-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
Ya I've wakeboarded my entire life and recently tried kiteboarding a couple times. First time with straps and the second time with boots. I got the hang of it pretty quick and was up and cruising. I was far from shredding but I was defiantly having fun.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-18-2013, 5:08 PM Reply   
If you already have a boat the price tag for kites is a little daunting but I've always wanted to try. Played with my friends gear a few times. Love the scoop!
Here's another good edit! I also tag kiteboarding edits to my thrill on if you wanna see more; http://www.thrillon.com/vinny.armentano

from Cabrinha Kites on Vimeo.

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-21-2013, 8:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustfarter View Post
Keep in mind that unless you live somewhere that is consistently windy ( with the right kind of wind) kiting can be a frustrating sport. I'd take a nearby cable any day.
Also. Spots like that one in the vid with features are REALLY few and far between.
I've thought about kiteboarding a lot. Just don't have the time/money for yet another time consuming money pit hobby! (of course I just bought a wake boat this year, so I'm eating my words a little).

I know I'd take to it well, as I've snowboarded and wakeboarded forever and I used to fly stunt kites. I have a buddy that let me fly his kiteboarding trainer kite and I did really well at that.

As far as spots like the one in the Video??? I live within a hour of Hood River where the video was done. So I have hte gorge, and ironically, we have NO cable parks anywhere nearby.

Maybe someday.

Last edited by trayson; 08-21-2013 at 8:36 AM.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-21-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
I liked that more than most of the wake vids lately.
Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-21-2013, 10:56 AM Reply   
If you liked that you can check loads more wakestyle kiteboarding vids on my site; http://www.windrats.com/?p=600

it's spanish, sorry
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-21-2013, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I've thought about kiteboarding a lot. Just don't have the time/money for yet another time consuming money pit hobby! (of course I just bought a wake boat this year, so I'm eating my words a little).

I know I'd take to it well, as I've snowboarded and wakeboarded forever and I used to fly stunt kites. I have a buddy that let me fly his kiteboarding trainer kite and I did really well at that.

As far as spots like the one in the Video??? I live within a hour of Hood River where the video was done. So I have hte gorge, and ironically, we have NO cable parks anywhere nearby.

Maybe someday.
Dude. If you live near the Gorge you have to do it. Trust me!
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-21-2013, 7:29 PM Reply   
Kiteboarding was what drove me to get a boat and get into wakeboarding. It's a serious pain in the ass if you don't live in an area renown for wind. And you're not gonna get away with one kite either. Most places are gonna need 2 sizes to cover you for 90% of the wind. This adds to the pain if you're worried about costs. Now I use my kiteboarding wind forecasts to look for the least windy place to take the boat.