Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (mnwake45)      Join Date: May 2005       08-28-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
I just got a new pair of LF Vantages and I'm wondering how exactly this whole heat moldable Liquid Liner thing works. I have heard of downhill ski boots that have removable liners you put in the oven to heat up and then mold them to your foot. But how does this work? Somehow I don't think I'm supposed to be sticking my binding in the oven and there weren't exactly instructions that came with the binding explaining how that might work...
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-28-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
I'd like to hear the real word from LF on this one too. I've read a bunch of opinions on this one...from the hot tub trick up to the Ronix cooker.

LF doesn't seem to say much, but I recall seeing at least a half-credible comment from a LF rep that it was the same material that Ronix uses and could be molded the same way. It's a little frustrating that LF markets this feature but doesn't support it.
Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-28-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
With that, how well does the Ronix heat molded boot work out. I am looking at some Cell's and was wondering the same thing.
Old     (skatehawk11)      Join Date: May 2008       08-28-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
i made the bath tub real hot and sat in there with my vantages on my feet. It worked well but if not just using them will mold them.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-28-2008, 10:18 PM Reply   
All of the '08 LF boots with the Liquid Liner are heat moldable, but I wouldn't stick them in the oven. If you want to mold them, I would go to a snowboard shop and have them put your bindings in their machine and then stand in them, but I don't know how much good it does to mold wakeboard bindings.

First, unlike snowboard boots that only one person ever uses, most people at least occasionally have someone else ride their wakeboard bindings and second, as soon as the board is in the rack in the summer in direct sunlight and the boots are heating up, the effect of the heat molding is somewhat lost. In addition, no matter how tight your wakeboard boots are, your foot is still going to move around in them, especially with a "looser" boot like the Vantage (I know, been riding them all year).

I've talked to my LF rep about this extensively and if you can, wait until after Expo when the new LF boots come out. Definitely worth the wait.

If I were you, I would just ride them and they will mold to your foot as you are riding like Brian said.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2008, 6:31 AM Reply   
I have extensive experience with Intuition liners for downhill ski boots. I have molded MANY. Intuition is the company that provides the liners to both Ronix and LF. It is the exact same material.

For ski boot liners, they need to be heated at 240 degrees for 10 minutes. 240 isn't really all that hot, and I doubt that putting your bindings in a 240 degree oven for 10 minutes would hurt them in any way. When molding them, I would recommend wearing thin socks. This will allow your foot to slip in more easily and will protect from the heat.

Leaving them in the rack in the hot sun will not adversely affect your mold. 240 is the key temp.

Here is a tutorial I put together for ski boots. Most of the principles remain the same.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102575&highlight=intuition+tutori al
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
And there you have it. Two people with credible opinions that completely differ.

No discredit meant to Jamie or Andrew at all, but this is why it's BS that Liquid Force advertises something they won't support or discuss at all.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I should edit to say that I HAVE NOT cooked a wakeboard binding yet. I know that the liner itself will be fine in the oven, but I don't know for sure about the rest of the binding. I wouldn't think it would be an issue and I would definitely try it myself.
I'll report back when I get new bindings.

You are right, LF should have a manufacturer recommendation.
Old     (mnwake45)      Join Date: May 2005       08-29-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the ideas Jamie, I think for now I'm going to wait until I hear some more solid answers as far as the whole putting them in oven thing goes!

I always thought it was odd that LF talks so much about the heat moldable liner but I had never seen anything that said exactly how to go about molding them...
Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-29-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
My dealer told me they will do it in the shop. I will have mine done in the morning I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
Jamie - I have the same question as you. There could be something else in the construction of the binding that doesn't do well with the heat. LF could put in the material and advertise that it has it, but without them telling us it's ok to heat the bindings we're doing it at our own risk.

Otherwise, I love my Vantage Ltds.