Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-09-2008, 10:55 PM Reply   
man the x1 is still holding true with the v205 hull, one of my favorite wakes of all time, but whats going on with the price? is it still an "entry level" boat. i hate that term because it refers to price obviously not wake. but im asking because a buddy of mine is thinking hard about a new 08 and there has not been much talk about it. anyone have one yet. what happend to the price? are they still 45k stripped and just as expensive as any other boat when loaded?

well thats all i was wondering, love that boat, i know i would have one if my average crew size wasnt 8-10 peeps.
Old     (flamethewolf)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-09-2008, 10:58 PM Reply   
yeah from what i've heard... to get it with the must have options your probably around 50k..
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-09-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
so its still the same deal as past couple years. i wish they would just make it a true broke hard core wake boat. i.e. mcx, p.p, ballest tower/racks and a deck with 4 speakers, solid price done deal buy it ride it and not worry about your wallet. ahh to dream.......and while im at it, dreaming that is, i see an old 210 with the same options for about the same price, under 50k otd. who thinks they would see a hole jack pot of these on the water, i do, but i guess thats why i dont sell boats just waist my money on them.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-10-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
Bryan, I really dont think MC is in the business of selling "true broke" boats. It may spark a debate but I say this for many reasons.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-10-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
Bryan,
if you are seriously considering a X-1, you should be able to get a great deal from Cope & McPhetres right now.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-10-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Yea I have older alliance and WB magazines and they have the ads of the x-1 starting under $40k, granted it was $39,995...but I've noticed the base price consistently going up and out of my range. Maybe by time I'm ready to buy new, MC will be offering the x-1/2 and it'll be affordable
Old    K.B.C.            04-10-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
aren't they killing the hull next year?? That's what I heard anyway...

an "entry level" cc will never happen. sucks but that is what the used boat market is for.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
not for me darren, for a friend of mine, he is going to check out copes this week and also nor cal. im happy with the bu for now. i might even be putting mine up in the classifieds soon. not sure yet trying to buy a second house and boat would have to go....

scott dont say that, i dont want to see mc make the mistake cc did.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-10-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
I haven't heard that they are killing the 205v hull, but they have limited production the past few years.
For the core wakeboarder/wakeskater that boat is great. It is just hard to get a good surf wake out of it.

Byran, I think Copes has at least two X-1s left. Where is the nearest Cope store for him?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-10-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
There is a navy and gray one in Sumner, WA. It is a good looking boat. If they ordered it like the X-1's last year it has a cover, fixed racks, rear ballast, stereo and maybe a couple more options.
Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Sellin my 06 if interested let me know.....
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-10-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
there is no such thing as buying a MC and not be worried about your wallet!!! they take pride in being the most overpriced boat in the wakeboard market. they make a good boat but you just have to have an absolute disregard for money to buy one. and if you do god bless ya! im jealous.
on a side note 70k for a 23ft Mc is a "good deal" i guess in todays world anyway.

(Message edited by kko13 on April 10, 2008)
Old     (h2oboy)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-10-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
Kevin, Just because you cant afford one...... does not make them "overpriced"
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-10-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
To Eric and Kevin. Lets not make personal attacks about his ability to or to not afford an MC. I will tell you from personal experience that my first MC was an 04 x2. I financed about 37k. My 2008 X-star 40th will be just a bit over 80. Now with that said the difference in payment due to the finance terms and such are about $250. I think we all can agree thats not a ton. With that said most of your budget boats are in the 40 range. Most of your Big Dogs or "boats with disregard for money" are up maybe in the 80's or 90's. So the ability to afford one or another I think really comes down to your credit and your comfort factor with oweing that amount of money. Now with all that said. I think that MC has positioned itself in the market to cater to a more affluent crowd. How? Well first is the dealership experience. As in the last ten years Harley Davidson has undergone a transition from small hole in the wall dealerships to gleaming temples, MC has also done that. There boats are also in my opinion better made, and thus hold their value more consistantley. Thus making me feel more comfortable in financing it out longer, thus making my payments lower and allowing me to own a expensive boat. Now for all you guys out there that say Malibu etc. has as nice a wake and all of that. The fact is is that it may just in the way that your Dodge Ram will haul your load and pull your boat. But a new Tundra for example will do that plus have a higher grade interior, exterior and hold its value much better. So in closing MC's do cost more. The engineering that goes into the billet pieces, hulls that dont flex when you push on the sides, vinyl that looks good years later and so on costs more. I am willing to pay it. Mc has positioned themselves to weather the storm so to speak by appealing more to folks that have the assets to still purchase boats during tough times while the other less expensive brands that are being bought by folks that can "just" afford them may be in for some trouble. Also no manufactorer is perfect. Mistakes are always made on some level, wobbley tower for example. It is good however that a company makes right its mistakes which they have done. End of rant.

(Message edited by duckguy on April 10, 2008)

(Message edited by duckguy on April 10, 2008)
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
kevin,
many MC "new" MC buyers are their 3rd 4th, even 5th boat. The MC boat is one of the best on the market, hands down, with that said, people will spend whatever amount of money they need to if it gives them confidence in their own decision.

}
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       04-11-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
Here we go, get the popcorn out.

Ditto Matt and Jake. There are a lot of choices out there. But when it really comes down to it, the boat is built to last a lifetime. If every single boat manufacturer built the boats exactly the same way with the exact same materials but different stylings, they would still all cost the same. That is why we probably will never see a "cheap" MC. It would not be an MC at that point, because it wouldn't warrant having the name on the side. Compare everything to what you do for a living. If you make your product one way and were proud of the outcome, if you took away everything that made it what it was just to sell it cheaper would you still want your name on it? Plus it cannabalises your existing market. so what you get is less sales of what you're proud of and known for and more of what you do not want to be known for.

I'll enjoy the show now....
Old     (h2oboy)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-11-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Kevin, I apologize for my comment above.. I should have said something like Jake and Matt said above.... Well said guys
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-11-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
I purchased a new X1 last year and love it. By the time I added dual spinning racks, stereo, tower speakers/amp, cover, bimini, trailer, ballast, mirror, etc., the MSRP was in the mid 60's.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
thanks for the info guys, lets keep the insults to a minimun.
matt you hit it bro. whats the difference if you finance 50k for 15 yrs or 75k for 20 yrs, about 200- bucks BFD. if you want it you got if your credits good.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-11-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
i never made an attack on him just to set the record straight. thankyou
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
"whats the difference if you finance 50k for 15 yrs or 75k for 20 yrs, about 200- bucks BFD."

Ugggghhhhhhh. I want your bankroll Bryan. The difference is a new loaded BMW, which is a BFD to me.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2008, 11:26 PM Reply   
you can get a new loaded BMW for $200 bucks/mo??? where can i get one?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-12-2008, 1:40 AM Reply   
i can't wait!

Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-12-2008, 4:56 AM Reply   
ive worked on inboard boats of all makes/yrs for a along time MC form the 80's set a high standard at the time and were tough to beat. but i dont see it anymore im sorry. im not bashing MC they make a fine boat. that being said many companies have caught up and even surpassed MC IMPO. so to me paying more for the name on the side is insane.like i said i work on them all everyday and dont see MC holding up any better than any other brand sorry. from my experience in the boat industry i find its more the person who owns the boat more than the boat that will determine how the boat looks/holds up 5-10yrs down the road. but if paying more makes you feal better about your purchase its all good enjoy.

(Message edited by kko13 on April 12, 2008)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Kevin do tell.
I would like to know what things you have encountered that would make you feel some companies have surpassed MC in engineering and quality. I'm not doubting you in any way, but I would like to know some of the things you have seen in recent years. Just for my own knowledge so my next purchase can be a well informed one.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-12-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
I agree Billy Id like to know as well kevin?
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-14-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
If I cant buy a boat and be comfortable with the payment at 4 years, I wont buy it. Just me. I cant finance ANYTHING for more than 5 yeas other than a house. Especially an extranious expense like a boat which is just a toy. 20 year financing for a toy, yeah right lol
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-14-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
^AGREED^
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2008, 10:50 PM Reply   
I asked a MC salesman "why an x-star?" and he gave me 4-5 reasons why not to buy a malibu... I asked a Malibu salesman the same question "why a vlx".. he told me 4-5 reasons why malibu is so good, and they were virtually the same 4-5 things that the MC guy said was so BAD about the vlx.

I also asked the MC salesman why $18K more than a VLX... and all he could come up with is that I am paying for the R+D that went into the boat/hull... when I asked what this years 08 had that was so different than 07 and why I am paying $6K more for virtually the same boat (07 and 08 xstar) AND paying for this $18k R+D That did not happen for the 08... he said nothing.

the x-star is my favorite boat and favorite wake. I would love my next boat to be an X-star... but i cant peel off that much more money when I am not getting $18k more of a boat.

"boat show" price of 08 X-star was $82,000+
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-15-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
I understand your research and design point for the initial 18 K, but the 6K rise in price with no more R&D is simple.....inflation, rising price of fuel, increased wages....ect.ect this list can go on and on....There arent many products that do not increase 2 or 3% from one year to the next.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-15-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
My understanding is that boats typically increase 6 to 7 percent per year which is ridiculous. I quit going to the Atlanta boat show because the price of boats has gotten so crazy. I paid about 50K for my VLX in 2005 and thats probably the last new boat I will ever purchase. To think that a new VLX is 65K or so and an X-Star is approaching 90K is just way over the top. I know that they are handmade items and all of that but there is no way those prices can be justified IMHO. That is also one of the things that will keep the sport from getting as big as the other action sports. The world needs more cable parks or something.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-15-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
DON,
just because you CAN finance for 20yrs, doesn't mean everyone does..

and John Ruppert...boat show prices generally are no lower than what you'll pay on the showroom mid-summer...might even pay more than what you could find the same boat for at the end of the year..