Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-08-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
i read a post from a while back.....
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/58045.html

this talks about ordering vinyl by the sq yard instead of a skin. well, the back hatch of the sunpad on my '02 xstar needs to be replaced.

i was quoted approximately
$330 for a whole new cushion
$225 for a skin (not including labor to sew it on)
26 / sq. yard from one dealer
18 / sq. yard from another dealer

now, i dont know where bradley beach was able to find it for $8 a sq. yard, but either way, do you think a shop will do a decent job at putting stitches and/or seams in the vinyl? the only stitching or seams that need to be made will be on the underside of the cushion.

should i spend about $100 in labor and material and get it done? or just order the skin and pay about $300 to get it done?

those that have tried this before, how did it turn out?
Old    g_money            08-08-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
If you can find the brand and color number you can shoot me an e-mail and I can look at a wholesale marine fabric supplier I used and probably get it much cheaper for you.

Let me know.
Galen
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-11-2003, 6:12 AM Reply   
thx galen...let me see what i can find out
Old    6more            08-11-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
I had some new pontoon seats custom made by a company called Veada Industries. They also sell the vinyl for $7 a yard (1 yd long x 54" wide).

Check them out at http://veadastore.site.yahoo.net/boatvinyl.html

They will send you some free color samples if you ask.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-12-2003, 9:56 AM Reply   
Matt:

All vinyls are not created equal.....

Certainly one characteristic that changes it price is how thick the material is. The backing on the material is another. An often overlooked factor is the UV resistance (this wouldn't likely be out in the sun, now would it????)

In many cases, you get what you pay for.

Why did your old cushion bite the dust so quickly? If it is likely to re-occur, I woudl consider going the cheap route and just plan on replacing it often. If it was just an accident and you want it to last a long time, get the better material.

An unfortunately twist of fate is that the cheap material is MUCH easier to work with. It stretches more, allowing it to be much more forgiving especially when it needs to wrap around curves.

Any decent shop shouldn't have any trouble sewing the fabric. The hard part is knowing where to sew.....
Old    6more            08-13-2003, 6:10 AM Reply   
Rod - I agree that all vinyl isn't created equal, but I think a lot of places completely gouge the price too.

FYI - Veada makes seats for a number of boat manufactures, so we are not talking about some tiny hole-in-the-wall company. They are a reputable company that has been in the business many years and is know for making quality seats.

They just sell the vinyl on the side as a service to customers and because they are buying it in such large quantities they can offer it at a great price. They are obviously getting it at a much better price than your local shop who is ordering you 5 yrds at a time.

Old    aka Bradley Beach            08-13-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
Matt Moss:
As a matter of fact I got the vinyl from Mastercraft for $8 a sq yard! I was working for an MC dealer at the time and used a PO and that's what it cost. At G & J auto trim in Olathe, KS you can order just about any vinyl for under $20 a sq yard and you can buy enough to do the whole boat if you ever need to. I was charged like $45 in labor to get mine recovered and I was still ahead. Check out the pics because it looks just like the factory seat did and its holding up well! Even if you spent $200 on vinyl and got 10 sq yards and you only used one or two yards fixing your cushion you'd at least have vinyl left over to do anything else in your boat. I can't see labor costing more than $50 so you are still under what it would cost you for a new cushion. Email me if you'd like any more info.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-13-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
i cant get a straight answer on what brand of vinyl my vynil is. i called the mastercraft factory and the guy told me it was G & T vinyl. i cant find anything on the internet about them.

can anyone help me out with this?? it is a '02 xstar and the cushion is white. any suggestions on who or where to call to get specifics?
Old    nooner            08-13-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
if you can afford a 02 Xstar. I am sure that chump change wont bother you. Pay to have it done
Old    aka Bradley Beach            08-13-2003, 1:20 PM Reply   
Mastercraft should be able to tell you what vinyl is in your boat if you tell them your hull number.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-14-2003, 6:15 AM Reply   
luis - sounds like a plan. heck, i have enough $ in my account for a brand new boat, i guess i will just buy a new xstar instead of just the cushion. that will solve all my problems. what a great way to look at things.

brad - i'll see what i can find out
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-14-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
What happened to the cushion?
We have the same white vinyl so I'm hoping your problem was an accident.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-14-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
yes, it was an accident.

we were all tied up to a big 80 ft house boat, and some idiot threw a cigarette off the top and it unfortunately landed on my boat and burned a hole in it before i noticed it. it was so nice to come down to my boat and see a cigarette just chilling there on the cushion.
Old    nooner            08-14-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
in that case. they have vinyl repair kits. The look decent. Not perfect. That is if you want to go that route. A shop can patch it where you can almost not tell.....