Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    premieryder            05-31-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
hey whats up guys my friends and I just made a slider and was wondering what should we put on the pipes (pvc plastic piping) to help slide better and protect our boards from damage...wax or etc... thanx
Old    stu_hert            05-31-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
If you are sliding, your board is going to get damaged, there is really no way around that.

Stu
Old    murrayair            05-31-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Yeah, it really doesn't matter what material you use. Your board will probably get about the same amount of damage from pvc as from wood.
Old    devastate            05-31-2004, 11:40 PM Reply   
wrong. damage is not the same for pvc and wood.
as you may remember from any physics classes you may or may not have once had, the amount of pressure exerted on an object is greatly affected by it's surface area. Now obviously you cant change the surface area of your board, but if you can build a slider with greater surface area, then it will exert less pressure in one certain place, it will spread out the pressure, thus reducing the likelyness of scratching... if you follow me.

so in short, if your slider is made from pvc piping (i speak from experience) there are one (or two, depending on your slider) small areas at the top of the pipe that your entire weight is pressing the board onto. Now on the other hand, when using a wooden slider there is a larger surface area = less pressure in one place = less scratches.

another disadvantage to having a slider made of two pvc pipes is what happened to me - i tried to 50-50 straight along it and i leaned forward a little too far, the frontside of my board (and my toes) got stuck in-between the pipes and even when i let go of the handle i was dragged along for a while, ripping up my board and feet, before rolling off the side... yeah it sucked...

if you do place a wooden sheet ontop of your piping, put varnish on it - makes the surface much smoother.

hope that helps a bit

John
Old    premieryder            06-01-2004, 12:10 AM Reply   
Ok sweet thanx for the info, its already made out of pvc piping so i cant change that but should i wax the pvc piping?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-01-2004, 12:18 AM Reply   
Professor John,
Do I understand you correctly that you are advocating raw lumber (albeit varnished) as an optimal surface for a slider?
Old    devastate            06-01-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
no. sorry for the incomplete information professor spiderman i was referring to a sheet of polished plywood.

Mike you could fix a few long strips of plywood ONTOP of the pvc piping, just put in some screws but make sure that they are counter-sunk so they dont poke out. that shouldnt be too expensive, but if you still cant afford, or cant be bothered - yeah technichally waxing the pipes would work (i've never tried it though) i expect the wax would wear off fast, but hey, give it a go.

John
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-01-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
Dude...
Plywood delaminates and flakes apart after it gets wet a few times. MAYBE you could get away with marine-grade plywood for a while, but it's so expensive you'd be better off just to buy plastic sheeting. You've got to slide plastic of some sort, be it plastic pipe or some other type of plastic. PVC can be obtained in flat sheets that LOOKS a bit like plywood, and this is something that people have made successful sliders out of. Maybe you have seen pictures of this on sliders and assumed that it was "polished" plywood, I don't know. Another possibility is that a person can buy fake plastic "wood" that people use to build decks so that they don't have to worry about weather sealing and wood rot and deterioration. It comes in various sizes of "boards" just like real wood. This stuff also can be used to make good sliders if you put the smooth slick side facing up.
Your physics equation seems to neglect consideration of the abrasiveness/friction variable, which is a pretty important one.

Oh well, do what you want and tell others what you want. After all, this is the internet.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-01-2004, 7:43 PM Reply   
Trex.... Use Trex!
Old    premieryder            06-01-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
thanx for all the info ya I'm gonna just wax the pvc piping up alot cause our budget is at its maximum but for future slider building ya guys helped out alot thanx
Old    devastate            06-01-2004, 10:47 PM Reply   
My physics equation is all ABOUT friction, why dont you stop trying to show everyone how smart you are and actually read the posts for a change. this has to be like the 6th time i've posted and then "doctor octagon" comes in and gives a long lecture about how i'm wrong and he's right.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-01-2004, 11:48 PM Reply   
Then why don't you stop your habit of continuously spreading misinformation?

This has been fun, junior, but I think I hear my Mommy is calling me, so I can't play any more. You have some issues. Good luck working through those.

Late
Old     (calis_finest)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2004, 12:36 AM Reply   
well ... i fell some heat in the room ... but i like that some times... dont worry guys tom we will try this ish out .. l8
-( mikes' friend)
Old    devastate            06-02-2004, 12:41 AM Reply   
the only one spreading misinformation is you dumsh*T, and by the way your f*cking ugly baldy.
Old     (calis_finest)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-03-2004, 4:14 PM Reply   
here are some pics!!!!

Old    sbvfive            06-03-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Normally I don't get involved in these stupid little intetnet debates, but in the issue of saftey, I will. There are many surfaces that you can make a slider out of. Trex, fiberon, pvc sheeting, pvc pipe, delron plastic, they are all great. If you can't use those, you should try beds of nails, cinder blocks, or barbed wire. Sometimes jagged glass. But never, ever should you use wood as the sliding surface. You should also never ask John O for help on Physics homework! So Mike, your PVC pipes are perfect. You do not need to wax them at all. As long as you are able to slide decent your board will show minimal signs of damage. If you crash hard 30 times, you might break your board, but other than that PVC pipe isn't too rough on you board. I appluad doctor octogon in his valiant effort to spread decent knowlege about wakeboarding.
Old    devastate            06-03-2004, 9:56 PM Reply   
yet another dumbsh*t, explain why the entire hyperlite crew used wooden sliders in the Welcome video, also explain why all the sliders at my cablepark are wood, and why practically ALL kickers ever built are wood.

(Message edited by devastate on June 03, 2004)
Old    sbvfive            06-04-2004, 5:28 AM Reply   
The sliders in Welcome were made of wood?? You sure on that one...cause I could have sworn that they were barbed wire....
Old    j_rod_p            06-04-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
Wow calm down guys. We are all wakeboarders here. We all share the same passion so why all the hostility. Now I don't know what the best sliding surface is or anything like that. I'm a pro shop manager not a professor. But I have been to Radar and John O is right, the sliders are wood. Take it for what its worth. Peace.
Old    devastate            06-05-2004, 5:32 AM Reply   
thanks jerrod, perhaps doctor octafag and steve veri- will now realize that they do NOT infact know everything.

John
Old    the_friend            06-05-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
yah no
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
the actual slider frame is wood and the surface is fiberon