Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
I am looking for a good used boat and have been for all summer but am not in that big of a hurry because I can always bum a ride off of my friend when I want a ride. I was wondering if there is a time when boats are cheaper to buy. Logically I would think in the winter or maybe when the new models come out you could find one cheaper but I dont really know. Just wanting a little info.
Thanks
Jon
Old    fordman            07-21-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
When I was looking earlier this year, it became clearer to me that for a used boat its more of an issue of finding what you want for the price you can afford, You can wait along time for something to come available. If you are talking about new boats I think that end of season deals are there and Boat show specials are there. If you can increase the area that you are willing to travel to look at boats then there will be more available. I drove 325 miles one way to get mine. It wasn't everthing I wanted but I'm enjoying this summer boating and not waiting. I still watch the paper and boattrader.com and so far I haven't seen anything that would have been a better choice. this was my expirence and it may not be everyone elses.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
thanks darin that is kinda what i have been doing just checkin around and no i am not afraid to drive that far so there are a lot of boats out there but i just dont want to get into big hurry and spend to much.
Old    dante            08-04-2004, 5:44 AM Reply   
The best time to buy a boat is when the guy selling it is getting a divorce ;) At least, that's how it worked out for me (as a buyer, not a seller thankfully).
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
Not only does time of year matter but location does as well. Here in IL the market for used wakeboard boats is nearly nonexistant still. Mike and I drove from Chicago to Atlanta for our boat and have never regretted it. We got a great boat for a great price. The day we were there three people came looking for that boat but since our name was in first we had priority.
Old    ozonerider            08-04-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
To expand on Lizrd's point, the best time of year to be getting a deal depends a lot on where the boat is being sold. When I lived in Florida, springtime was a great time to be looking since there were a lot of snowbirds leaving the area who for some reason or other didn't want to take their boats back home with them. Out here on the Delta, after Labor Day works best.

The second-best deal after the "divorce sale", imo, is when the seller has gotten a little overextended financially and just needs to get out from under the payments.

It also helps to be patient and have the cash on hand so you can write a check immediately when the right deal comes around.