Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    whirly            07-22-2005, 12:31 AM Reply   
I've been out of the scene for a good amount of time now due to injury. I've generally riden hyperlite, but wanted to check into LF. If anyone could give me a general difference that would be great, I'm looking to demo some stuff soon, and don't even know where to start now. I'm not very familar with the liquid force line either. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-22-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
weight is a major difference....LF is nice and light. Plus LF has the best, plush, bindings you will ever put your foot into.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
yeah i've been riding HL bindings w/ LF boards, but i think im gonna switch to LF bindings next year, they look so comfy, plus i've never made a whole season w/ a HL binding that didnt break.

they both have good board lines, i prefer LF because of the type of ride i like and the design of the board compared to HL. the new HL line is just too much of a Crutch for beginners, i.e the murray.

just depends on riding style, HL has a mix, but usually CWB is for going big and technical, LF is for smooth riding, can do all same tricks but they just make smooth riding boards.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-22-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
They are #1 and #2 in the industry for a reason. However, while both make GREAT equipment, I usually break down the difference between them like this:
HL: built a bit more durable, warrantied longer, sold higher (more expensive)
LF: built cheaper (thus the light weight), warrantied shorter, sold cheaper

This is not to knock or push one over the other, because cheap vs. durable goes out the window when people buy a new setup every year (as most of my crew do). Also, no warranty after 1 year on a LF board gives you one more reason to start using it on sliders (can't void what you don't have). LF was well ahead in boots this year, so it will be interesting to see what HL does for 2006. I think they are equally matched in boards.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-22-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
Don't agree on the LF being built cheaper. I think HL boards break down much faster. LF owned the boot biz this year, can't wait to see the 06 offerings. From what a shop manager told me who knows the CWB rep, they will be a force.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-22-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
If you don't agree, take a closer look. HL has deeper binding inserts, real fin inserts (as opposed to just holes), more fiberglass, thicker core, and nicer top and bottom sheets. All this is pretty obvious from just looking at the board. The HL limited lifetime warranty should also tell you something about durability.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
im a LF man, but luke has good points, my substance top sheet is torn half off just from casual boarding, no sliders.

allthough my friend is hardcore HL guy and i use HL bindings and we've got new ones (bindings) every year for 3yrs now and they have broke mid season every year, the option 2 strap mostly, but also the B.O.A system.

never tried LF bindings probably my next purchase.

while im thinking about it, my LF Surfboard started peeling up (footbed) last year which was 1st year i got it, but threw some glue on it and its been fine ever since.

oh and i think Team LF has the best riders out of all teams if that matters... that could tell you something, but theres also argument of the best "Team"

(Message edited by mmobius2001 on July 22, 2005)
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
Demo both and pick whichever you like better. Both are great. A lot of people that ride Liquid Force will bash Hyperlite and a lot of people that ride Hyperlite will bash Liquid Force, but when it comes down to it both companies make great boards and bindings. Oppinions are like ***holes, everyones got one.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
i like all company's, im not really a basher, i just dont like any HL boards right now.
Old    wickedwake            07-25-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
LF bindings and CWB boards IMO
Old    ldb            07-25-2005, 10:15 PM Reply   
ride what works for you man
Old    drew_a6            08-02-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
nicely said spOtts...I used to be like all out Hyperlite man, but I came to realize the LF is very nice also. I ride Hyperlite byerly board w/ LF Alphas, as of right now, bc I also had the binding problem Phil had w/ them breaking every season. My personal opinion is the Pro line of Hyperlite boards is more for your very aggressive riders and LF pro line is for the not as aggressive. That is what I think...and I could be very very wrong and Im sry if someone disagrees.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2005, 11:38 PM Reply   
CWB makes a good board and binding
Old     (jdrcrew8)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-03-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
I have both a HL Premier with LF Alphas and a Trip 38 with 3060s on it. Don't really care either way about the companies.

It is my opinion that the LF rides a little higher on the water and faster in general. My HL feels heavier both on the water and when putting it on the racks.

I would say the HL is more durable. I have marks and dings all over the LF but is is a little older. My really old HL BAFF though doesn't have near as many dings. The LF seems to get a mark on the edges whenever it hits anything, no matter how hard.

Definitely demo. before you buy.

I have to believe that HL will go with neo inside their bindings for '06. I can't see how they will compete otherwise. My 3060s definitely hold me in but they are a bitch to get in and out of. LF don't even use any soap.
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-03-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
I've owned both HL and CWB. Currently like the CWB Absolute 135 I have had for the past 3 years. I ride pretty hard (interpret: go for inverts and crash hard). The board shows no signs of falling apart, however rider is starting to. Bottom line; Since you're coming off an injury I'd go with a board that will provide you with some butter-soft landings. Read the reviews, demo and take our opinions with a grain'o salt.
Old    wbhata            08-04-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
I've only bought Hyperlite and will continue to do so. If it's good enough for Parks, it's good enough for me. I mean, he's the bestest rider I've ever seen!
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
"The HL limited lifetime warranty should also tell you something about durability."

HL has a 1 year limited warranty, not lifetime. Although I hear they are good about performing work even after 1 year it is not guaranteed.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-04-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
neither.

CWB
Old    dahui            08-04-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
Right now I have blue/white Ultra Sucs on an 05 parks and I must say that its the worst looking binding board combo ever. I have always been a LF guy but I got tired of fin problems and board quality issues. I recently was interested in HL based on their reputation as having quality boards with a good warranty. I think reliability issues are a huge part of the slection between the two. There is nothing worse than having your rig break during the middle of the session and dealing with sending a board back for warranty during the middle of the season.