Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    alanp            04-14-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
im looking for a road bike. i picked up a trek 1000 sl a couple of months ago and want to upgrade now. i wanna do some cat 4/5 training crits to train for some mountain bike races this summer. i used to be a cat 3 road racer and cat 2 on the track(velodrome) . after picking up the trek i realized its just not gonna cut it. anyone got any ideas on a bike? 2k is my max. 1500 would be more ideal. also used is totally fine.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Cannondale CAAD9 5... Its not a carbon frame but its stiff and fast and a dream to ride! I picked mine up on Ebay for around $1200 shipped. Comes with 105 components which aren't super high end by any means but I've found them to be great!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
I love my Bianchi 1885. It's got Campi Veloce on it, which IMO is night and day better than 105. Aluminum frame with carbon stays and forks. It's really quick. Probably be an awesome business park crit bike. Maybe a bit heavy compared to some of the all carbon bikes, but it's built stout. You could probably lose at least 1.5lbs in wheels alone if you wanted. For the same price I think there is a Ultegra version that some may argue is the better choice. The Campi was just too sexy looking to pass up. I have 0 complaints with mine.

http://www.slanecycles.com/bianchi-b...10-p-3452.html

I got mine a bit cheaper. It's a '08 that I bought at the start of '09.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-14-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
I had an entry level Felt at one time and when I bought it, it was 1/2 the price of other road bike with better components. My GF at the time said it was a great bike for what you got.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Once you hit about $1,500 there is a ton of nice bikes out there. The CAAD9 suggestion is great one, that is a classic frame for what you are looking to do.

So other ideas off of the main stream lines:
$1,700 BMC Road Racer
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...bike-6950.html

$2,000 Pedal Force ZX with SRAM Rival
http://pedalforce.com/online/your_co...p?cPath=102454
That would be a 15.5lb bike. Might want stiffer wheels though

Jamis Comp or Race: http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...comp_spec.html
I have a Xenith SL and love it.

Fit is king, and you are going to want a stiff bike.
Old    alanp            04-14-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
ok just got back from a shop. there was a trek madone 4.5 that i liked the looks of. it was about 2k. there is a cannondale caad4 5 locally on cl for 1300. i think thats a bit overpriced tho. ill look around at those other suggestions
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-16-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Keep searching CL and buy used (but support your locale bike shop in other ways)...people are giving bikes away on Craigslist. I picked up a hardly ridden Titanium Fuji for $250 this week...sure its not the new hot carbon fiber, but some say bike builders got away from Ti because it was making the bikes last forever (people who have bikes that last forever don't need a new bike every 5-10 years).
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthewatermo View Post
Keep searching CL and buy used (but support your locale bike shop in other ways)...people are giving bikes away on Craigslist. I picked up a hardly ridden Titanium Fuji for $250 this week...sure its not the new hot carbon fiber, but some say bike builders got away from Ti because it was making the bikes last forever (people who have bikes that last forever don't need a new bike every 5-10 years).

I have a Litespeed bike, it's Ti and will be hard pressed to get me to give it up. I have Al, Carbon, Ti and Steel bikes. They all ride difference, but Ti does have a nice spring to it the others are missing. Steel is close, but more mellow. That Litespeed is going on 15+ yrs, frame looks new. I retired it from Triathlon racing and converted it to a Fixie, makes a great conversion.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-16-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
I'd check the roadbikereview.com classifieds. Plenty of bikes there in your price range, and it sounds like you aren't a newb so you know what you are looking for (i.e. don't really need a shop to hold your hand).
Old    alanp            04-17-2010, 7:18 PM Reply   
i picked up a cannondale six. its a carbon frame and its the version with the 105 groupo. bought it from a bike shop for 1900. i didnt have to pay sales tax since i live in va(bought it it az). it could stand to have a lighter wheelset but im pretty happy with the bike. very interesting bottom bracket(bb30) never seen anything like it before. thanks for the info