Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-15-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

Props all around to those who made the 2005 "New Jersey Riders" thread the most prolific in the history of WakeWorld. New friends were brought together, many great times were had, memories made, and at times sadness shared among this group of wakeboarding loyalists. But above all, the tone was kept positive throughout, reflecting what a great group of wake junkies we have here in our little hidden utopia of the wakeboarding scene.

Which brings me back to to my opening sentence. As the Jersey (and surrounding area) crews will tell you, today was a miserably cold day here in Jersey, a day when the snow doesn't fall from high to low, but instead travels horizontally from left to right, never resting for more than a second, until the next 45 mile an hour gust kicks it skyward again to its next brief destination.

Of course, the snowboarding hills are only 90 miles an hour from here, so it really doesn't suck all THAT bad, but you get my drift.

That being said, I know I've thought about my next chance to wakeboard many times today, as I do every single day. April seems like a reasonable timetable for that to happen, but of course I'll need to mooch a pull off of Eustance or Alex Kinon to make that dream a reality.

Of course I could buck up and buy myself a boat and make sure I get that April ride, but if you didn't know, this stay-at-home daddy gig I have in the winter doesn't pay all that well. But it IS a hell of a lot of fun!

Back to my point at hand. Looking at the continuing number if postings, it seems that there are plenty of dedicated riders in this area equally afflicted with the fever to ride. No one is any closer than me to riding, at least not around here, but it is still at the forefront of many people's minds. Postings still come fast and furious. You gotta love it.

If I may continue to soapbox for a minute, I think it's our forced departure from our passion that keeps the drive alive. And it's certainly not limited to this Jersey crew. How many people out there have photos of wakeboarding in a prominent location around the house, to inspire the quick mental retreat to a better warm and watery place? Who has their board still out and about even though the ground is a frozen tundra? And I'm sure there are a few people who've even gone and hooked their handle up to a doorknob in preparation to stick that elusive move in the '06 season.

Wakeboarding in a place like New Jersey is hardly a "jump in and go" proposition, even in the heart of summer months. Sure, some have the luxury of keeping their boats right out back for that after work session, but for most a wakeboarding session consists of prepping your gear, towing a boat, dropping at the ramp, only to do it all again in reverse order at the end of the day. And even if you don't have this "to do" list to get wet, the five-month season always seems to end just after it got started.

But it's this perserverance that makes every session a great one. We all had a crappy session back in the season of '05. But would I take that crappy session tomorrow if I could ride within 50 miles of where I'm sitting right now? Hell yeah I would.

And so would many of you.

Welcome to the 2006 season, Jersey riders. Let's keep the vibe rolling and hell, maybe we'll even get that New Jersey Riders summit, now 4 years in the making, done this time around!

And remember, it's only 3 months 'til we can get wet...