Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-29-2008, 12:34 AM Reply   
Any thoughts on a 2006 Supra 24 SSV vs a new 2008/2009 Moomba XLV 23?

The Supra would be about $10k less, with a couple of hundred hours.

I don't need 24', so I'm concerned about the extra gas usage. But of course the gas won't cost $10k.

Any major wake differences? It sounds like Moomba/Supra boats of the same year have the same basic wake, but these would be 2-3 years apart, and the Supra is bigger/heavier.

I am going to a Moomba/Supra dealer next week to see the new Moomba in person, but the 2006 Supra is too far to visit unless I'm pretty sure I want to buy it.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-29-2008, 5:10 AM Reply   
First let me preface by saying that I am a proud 2008 Moomba owner. The hull shape changed for the 09's so while the hull on the Supra and an 08 would be similar, you'll want to research the 09 changes (I have not riden behind one yet).
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-29-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
The Supra will be a little more fancy inside and have Swivel Board Racks. Both boats have the playpen bow. Having a warranty with the new boat seems like a plus to me. I don't believe the Moombas have the smart plate system. With Smart Plate when you pull a rider out of the water the plate starts all the way down and then at 12 mph moves to a preset position. Having perfect pass versus the standard cruise control would be nice. I believe the perfect pass is standard with Supras Smart Plate system but optional with the Moombas. In 07 I believe they redid the Dash layout and got rid of all the small gauges and replaced them with more consolidated digital display.

When you go to the Moomba dealer see what else he has on the lot. I bought my first boat this summer and intended to get a moomba but ended up buying a new 07 Supra 21V they had.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-29-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
What are you looking to do? Ski, wakeboard or surf?

If it's all three watersports, do not discount the new 2009 Outback V. It is the boat that had the major hull change.

The Mobius and the Outback have remained the same as the 2008 models.

I own one and I am a little biased, but I believe it's the best cross-over boat That Skiers Choice has ever come up with.

I'm located in Clermont, Fl (not far from Kyle Schmidt's Wakeboard Camp) if your looking for a test ride.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-29-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Ed:

It will mostly be for wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Very little skiing.

Thanks for the test ride offer (though it would be a long trip for me from VA), but I want a longer boat.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-29-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
Well, then if you want mostly wakeboarding and surfing, I'd definetly check out a 2009 Outback V.

It's 19' 11" long.

Longer is not always better. It's all in how you wiggle it.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
I'd go with the XLV. Gotta love that L4 warranty from Moomba.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-29-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
> Longer is not always better. It's all in how you wiggle it.

I want the longer boat to fit more people... I'd prefer a shorter boat if there could be the same amount of seating (such as if the engine didn't take up so much space).
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-29-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
How many people are you looking to put in the boat?

XLV is a great boat. Only thing it is really missing from the Supras is Smartplate and Rotating board racks.

The Z5 cargo rack bimini is a nice option and will carry 3 boards.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-29-2008, 11:48 PM Reply   
> How many people are you looking to put in the boat?

Normally probably just 4-6 people. But I'd like to very comfortably fit around 12 people. I'll take a look at the 21' Moombas/Supras (rated at 13 people, probably very crammed) when I visit the dealer, but the only 23' boat I've been in (MB B52 V23 just at a dealer) didn't seem all that big inside to me.

As for the Supra Smartplate, I don't think the 2006 model has that (seems to have been added in 2007).
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-01-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
I had an 07 Mobius LSV, and traded up to a 24 SSV this year. Best decision ever... The gas usage got cut in half going from the LSV to the 24 SSV. That is only because I went from the 325hp engine without the wakeboard prop to the 340hp engine with the wakeboard prop on the 24. It is literally twice as fuel efficient, the wake is twice as big (at least) and the boat is 1 billion times nicer. Don't get me wrong, the Moomba is a great boat, but if you can save 10k and get a couple of year old 24 SSV, assuming it has some options on it, get the supra. What all options are included on the Supra vs. the Moomba?
Old    ausbill32            12-01-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
I think it all comes down to price in the end for you but if you plan on keeping the boat for more than 5 years I'd go new so you can get a 4+ year warranty.

My 2006 Supra 21v didn't have a single warranty problem in the two years that I owned it but the peace of mind with having the warranty was nice so I'd have to say the Supra held up well at 160+ hours. I personally found that the play pen style seating was not for me. I'd rather have a walk through like the new Outback V. My 2006 spent gas when loaded down with weight just like any other boat out here. I'd burn 5-7 gal an hour so I figure an SSV will be near the same or a tad more since it's bigger (I had the wakeboard prop too). No offense to "Nick" above but I don't see how he could cut his gas in half from an LSV to 24SSV unless there was something wrong with the LSV and he was burning 10 gal an hour. Most people report LSV use 4-6 gal per hour (pending prop size and weight). There's no way an SSV is going to use only 3 gal an hour. Go visit the moomba forum website and read some gas reports.

Even though at times I had 8-12 people in my 21v I wished I had something a tad smaller because most days I only had 2-4 people in the boat and I enjoy a smaller crowd. I got greedy and I didn't want to take out a lot of people because I was getting screwed on gas costs and I would never get to ride as often as I wanted with a ton of people in the boat. Holidays it was fun to take out 12+ people but those days are few.

I'm +1 for the new 2009 Outback V.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-01-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
> What all options are included on the Supra vs. the Moomba?

I don't know all of the options, but it has PerfectPass, 340HP engine and stock prop (which I would upgrade), and the Z5 bimini/cargo rack.

As for the Moomba, since I'd be getting it new I would get at least the GG ballast, Z5 rack, Perfect Pass, wakeplate, depth finder, heater, 340HP engine, water strainer and flush kit (I'll be riding off the Potomac where the water is not so clean).

After repricing the XLV at moomba.com, it looks like the XLV would actually be more like $20k more based on MSRP.

So I'm really interested in the Supra now, but he already has another buyer. Sigh.

I wonder how the Outback V's wake compares to the XLV and the Supra 24 SSV? It is very odd that these boat companies hardly put any video/photos of their wakes on their web sites... the videos just keep circling around the boat.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-01-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
I had heard the 24SSV had a hull change in 2007 and that the new hull was miles better for boarding and surfing. I had heard the 06 was designed more as a family style and not so much for hardcore riding so the wake was more mellow. I've ridden behind an 07 and can vouch for that wake, its-a-nice, but not the 06. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-02-2008, 2:44 AM Reply   
Moomba now has video and photos of the wake shot from a chase boat and from inside the boat of each model.

There is a comparison function too.

Keep in mind that the wake of an "out of the box" 2009 Outback V is much larger than what is shown on the websight (at least mine is).

I think they must be shooting it with no ballast filled.

Take a peak on the wakesurfing forum. I have a shot of the wave behind the 2009 Moomba Outback V.

With just a 750lb sac in the corner and the 300 lb sac in the ski locker, this thing throws out a wave that actually curls.

The new Gravity Games system fills the 750lb bag in 7 minutes.
Old     (do420jc)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-02-2008, 3:51 AM Reply   
2006 24SSV half ballast.
Upload
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-02-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
The Moomba was loaded down man, as is the Supra. The Moomba had 2 750's in the rear, and 1200 up front (between three sacs) with the 325hp and the standard prop. It took forever to get on plane, but had a great wake when it got there. There are usually 3-6 people with us, so figure that in on both boats as well. The Supra I have setup with 750's in the rear, the stock 1100 up front with the 340hp and the wakeboard prop.

In the Moomba, with about 8 hours on the lake riding, we would go through about 55 gallons. (40 gallon tank, full when we get there, fill up again on lake, then another 10-20 gallons after the lake) That comes out to about 6.875 gph.

The Supra has a 52 gallon tank and we have never gone through more than 35 gallons in an 8 hour period. That comes out to 4.375 gph, and is close (ish) to half.

The wake on the 24, weighted as described, going 25mph, rider is 6'1" and is 75' back.

Upload
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-03-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
I rode behind Dave Brisco's 24 SSV in 2006. I remember him talking about a problem with the rudder or shaft which kept breaking on him(don't remember which). That may be why they changed the hull in '07. Just a heads up so you don't buy a problem that may be expensive and continue to occur. Anyways, the wake was sick! Very rampy, long and firm. The Moomba XLV is more like the old SAN on acid-very steep. I love the boot of both of them and the fit and finish of the Moomba suits my tastes just fine, and I am a supra owner. Good luck with your decision.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-03-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
I had an the 06 and loved it. It was a great boat and very roomy. I personally like the finish of the supra more and would recommend it.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-03-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure they did not change the Hull for the 24 in 07, only for the 22.