Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-21-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have a 2007 Malibu wakesetter 23lsv with the 8.1 Liter vortec. It is due for an oil change and i dont really want to take it in to have the oil changed for an arm and a leg. I change the oil in all of my other v-8 engines in my trucks. I also change the oil in my 2007 Dodge 5.9 liter commins diesel. So what im trying to say is i dont have any problems changing oil on trucks or suvs....Ha but i have never changed the oil on a boat....Does anyone of any input on how to change the oil on the 8.1 liter vortec engine in the 2007 malibu 23lsv??????????? I know that i need a pump but how do i drain the oil out of the filter....should i place a pan underneeth or how does everyone else do it???????
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-21-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
.....s..s
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
I use a Jabsco pump / container kit I bought from West Marine. Hook it up to your battery run the hose down your dipstick tube, and flip a switch. When I change my filter, I use a glad bag. Place the bag around the filter, unscrew it, and let it drop into the bag. Zip the bag up and remove from the motor compartment. The whole process takes about fifteen minutes if the engine is warm.

Here ya go...
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/223140/377%20710/0/oil%20changer/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=oil%20changer&Ntk=Primary%2 0Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyw ord=oil%20changer&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=null&s ubdeptNum=null&classNum=null
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-21-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Use a large freezer zip lock bag to put on the outside of the filter.

Do a search you'll find that this has beaten to death.
Old     (jhoback)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
then refill w/ synthetic oil.

check manual or talk to dealer as they may recommend a longer break-in before going to synthetic.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Do yourself a favor... Get the Indmar remote oil filter relocator. Worth every penny! I put one on my LSV with 8.1. Never spilled a drop when changing the filter. Nice!!!
Old    alanp            08-21-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
WOW these boats dont come with a drain tube?? anyone know why not?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-21-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
prolly cuz dealer doesn't want to deal with putting it on. I agree, should be mounted before the engine goes in.
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-21-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
my 07 lsv came with a drain tube
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
humm....my Malibu has an oil drain hose.

Diapers work really well, lay down 5 or 6 of them below where there might be any oil spills.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Mine came with one, just easier to use the dipstick for removal.
Old    alanp            08-21-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
john check to see that you dont have a drain tube. you may not need a pump. run your hand to the bottom of the oil pan find out if there is a plug or a tube. if there is a tube you just shoot the tube out of the hull's drain hole and open up the tube into a oil pan or whatever you use to store the old oil. that would seem very weird to me that these boats dont have a drain tube, sounds like some of them do. way less hassle with the tube than with the pump imo.

(Message edited by alanp on August 21, 2007)
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
It's an '07. It's got a drain tube! Anyways, I hook the pump to the drain tube instead of using the dipstick. Much easier and faster!!! Especially when the oil is not hot.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
My boat came with a drain tube also. I think they put one on everyboat since like 04. Changing the oil is easy. Waiting for the oil to drain out the tube is the hardest part. Removing the filter was the trickiest part for me without making a mess. If you're changing the oil in your boat you should be able to use the same oil in your boat. I just chaged my oil and put in Delo 400, all cost me about $15 for oil and filter.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-21-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
my 04 vlx has a drain tube. Super easy to change the oil with the drain tube. I usually let it drip for about an hour, but make sure you unscrew the fill caps so it drains a little faster.

fyi tho.....My dealer doesn't charge that much at all to change the oil. How much are they charging you compared to you buying the oil and filter?
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-21-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
My 8.1L engine in my '02 MC X-30 came with the quick oil change kit (tube hooked to the drain plug). This tube does not work at all. Either mine has a major block or it just does not have enough gravity to feed the oil out the tube. I pull the oil thru the dip stick with a hand pump. It works great.

Remember, Indmar just came out with a service bulletin requiring 10 quarts of 40W oil rather than 8 quarts, as stated in my owners manual. These engines are known to burn oil. After 40 hours of use this summer, my engine burned 2 quarts of oil. I now always carry extra oil at my marina.
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-21-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
Yea i checked for the drain tube and i found one. Do you it will work just by putting the drain tube down through the hull plug and into a pan or is their not enough gravity........would it work better by hooking the pump up to the drain tube.......any other tricks of the trade to changing the 8.1 vortec engine oil before I Attempt to change the oil haha
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
Hook up the fake a lake and let it run for about 20 min. Then run the tube through the hull plug and drain the oil. While it's draining remove the oil filter by placing a bag over it before breaking it loose. Place shop towels or paper towles under the filter, you'll probably loose a little the first time. Whole process took me about an hour the first time. Dealer charges like $75 (minimum) for an oil change around here.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-21-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
First, pull the drain hose out the back of the boat while the engine is cool. Then run the boat nu bu stated (or change it when you get back from the lake) to warm the oil. Last time I hooked up the oil line to a oil extractor with electrical tape right into the jug with no hoses and sucked the oil out in less than 5 minutes. I personally haven't been able to extract all the oil out by going through the dipstick and have heard of people breaking hoses off in the oil pan, so I use the drain. The bag trick stated above works good for the filter.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
Good catch Kevin, running the hose first will prevent you from burning your arms on the hot engine.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-21-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
I just go do something else while the oil is draining so the hose works great for me!
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-21-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the tips.......