Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
I was out at my lake today and its getting lower. It seems like there were some huge patches of weeds or plants that were not there before. I think it got there from another lake. I am concerned that it could take over my riding spot any ideas how to kill it or pull it out before it takes over?
Old    walt            10-08-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
If it's hydrilla (sp) you might have a problem.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
squidizzle, its gerry from the houseboat trip to shasta. come to the delta with us and you dont have to worry about weeds.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
walt whats dose it look like? This stuff looks like it is what you put in fish tanks at home.

Gerry I like the delta in the cooler months it gets pretty nuttey there in the summer. Also there are big fish in the delta that eat squids.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
squid, not to worry all the fish seem to be dead and floating on top the water!!! i have tues and wed off next week, let me know if you need a third or some gas $$$. would love to board with you guys again!!
Old    walt            10-08-2005, 6:34 PM Reply   
Squid vicious,
Check it out. http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/hydcirc.html

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
oh man it kinda looks like that. I need to get some samples. I wonder if it can live in cold water also they let most of the water out in the winter months.
Old    walt            10-08-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
I think it's really hard to get rid of.
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-08-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
Where I ride the weeds get bad this time of year. I've heard the weeds die-off in the winter when the water is cold. They grow back in the summer when the water warms up. I've seen them so bad you can hardly drive a boat through em.

~J.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
Its a state park and a iragation holding res so I think they would almost haft to do something. I have seen it floating around for years in the lake but it just seems to be in some big patches in some shallow parts. I hope its something that just looks the same. I am going to get a sample of it and see. If so look out Pillsbury squid has found a new home
Old    walt            10-08-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
I think Clear Lake has a problem with that stuff too.

Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-09-2005, 4:54 AM Reply   
yeah, that's the ONE positive effect hydrilla has on water, it really cleans it up. I've been in lakes that were infested and you could 6 feet below you pure as can be. Like being in a bathtub...with a lot of weeds in it. It does spread rather fast and it's next to impossible to get rid of. Some lakes embrace it because it cleans up the water and gives the fish a place to hide and eat off of. For riding it sucks.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-09-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
squid, are you talking about this stuff at your "mudhole" or whatever? the lake that is in the middle of foothills and is very tiny and very few people go to? if i remember right it is that certain lake that you go to...ya i have seen that crap there in patches in the back from time to time. would be very unfortunate if the problem got out of hand!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
bk, yes in the back where the cove is it was across the back by the small island. We could only ride haft the spot. I always new I would loose the spot to others but never a weed.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-10-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
Scott, while hydrilla does clean up the water by eating nutrients from fertilizer, oil, etc... It kills lakes by depositing dead vegatation on the bottom until the lake is filled up by muck. The only solution to fixing the lake after that is to drain it, and then let the muck dry and harden. Even after that it may need to be dredged.

One solution to get rid of hydrilla is to stock the lake with sterile (so they dont reproduce) carp. You don't want too many carp or they will eat all the hyrilla and then go after the natural vegatation.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-10-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
If that stuff lives on fertilizer it's no wonder it's over-running the Delta!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-10-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
the sterile idea doesn't always work out though. this happened at the lake my parents lived on. fishing has gone to s#it and been like that for about 10 years. but, it helps cut down on fishermen too!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Rich thats how I think its got there by the delta. But my lake has a huge scool of carp more than 100 so maybe they will eat it all up.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-10-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
i hate that crap, the weeds freak me out haha, i fell in them once and it was not a fun time, i have a rampant imagination and basically it scared the sh*t out of me. Squid, ya i know where yuo are talking about, that spot has been growing larger and larger for awhile now
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-10-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
Like someone mentioned it does die back in the winter...much more effectively if they drain the resevoir I'm sure.

They sprayed for it on my lake a couple years back with a substance that takes the clorophyl out of the plant and hinders it's ability to photosynthesize. It doesn't kill it though, only slows the spreading.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
David, they do drain it in the winter. Some years you can't use the lake in the winter because they let so much out. I hope they do it this year and it dies off.