Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (billyboard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-20-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 X-Star that has a very tough-to-turn steering wheel. Lubing the lube points did not help. I was told that I need a new steering cable. The mechanic I use at my marina is not a mastercraft technician. After looking at how the cable is run, the mechanic was thinking that he'd have to spend a lot of time opening up the boat and removing things (like the gas tank) so that the old cable could be removed and the new one installed.
He suggested I ask around to see if he was missing something and to ask if there is a better easier quicker way to replace the steering cable in a 2001 X-Star.
Thanks for your help.
Billy
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-20-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
I have the same boat, and the same thing happened. I recall it took them about twenty minutes to fix it. He is missing something. Sorry I can't give advice, but I am no mechanic.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
Pretty basic, unbolt the old steering line, attach the new line at the end of the old line and pull from the other end. As you pull the old cable out you will be sliding the new cable right in the same path the old cable ran.
Old    bigrich            10-20-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
I am not an expert but every steering cable,throttle cable etc.. I have replaced you simply attach the new cable to the old cable and feed it through together as a unit. Some tie starps or cable straps may have to be removed but major disassembly should not be required. Get a second opinion.
Old     (billyboard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-20-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the similar opinions. I thought the same thing. Now understand these are good guys who I've dealt with for years. So they are not trying to pull one over on me. When they looked at it, they saw the gas tank resting on top of the cable. So that would prevent them from being able to pull the old one through with a new one since my gas tank is full. Perhaps my cable is routed differently (incorrectly). As far as I know, its the original cable.
Old    bigrich            10-20-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
Maybe I'm not understanding but it would be simple enough to drain the gas out (into my boat if you want LOL) if that is the issue. Also dont understand how a full tank is causing clearance issues. The tank shouldnt flex significantly because it is full.
Old     (billyboard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-20-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Actually, they did mention draining the gas in order that they could move the tank or perhaps just so they could then slide the cable. But I thought that they shouldn't even have to do that. I was thinking that they wouldn't build a boat that required a gas tank drain in order to replace a cable. I will be cleaning the boat this weekend so I will see if I can tell if the gas tank rests on any cables.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-20-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
See this link in the MC owners forum. It is for a 2001 205V which is the same boat as you have. No gas tank removal necessary. Please let me know how it ends up working, I need to do a replacement on my 2000 205V before the start of next season.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11125&highlight=steering+wheel+ce nter
Old     (billyboard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-20-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Erik. This may not be tackled until next spring since I don't have the cable and I planned on cleaning/covering this weekend for the winter.
If I do it soon, I'll let you know. Otherwise I won't have an update until spring.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-20-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
I read a post on this once and they suggested lubing up the new cable well as you feed it through. The reason for the stiff stearting was corrosion or rust or something? I read that the design is actually bad and water pools up and drains into the steering cable and corrodes...someone who know more will make my post more clear I'm sure!
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
BillyB,
Don't be fooled, it's not a 20min job. It's not a hard job either, it jsut depends if the factory ran the steering cable thru the same zip-ties at the wiring loom to the rear of the boat.

I replaced mine a year ago, took about 1.5hours start to finish. I do say that pulling the one side of the tank up will help speed the job but should not be necessary.

Just buy the new cable from www.skidim.com and you will see what goes where. If your handy with basic tools it should not be that hard for you.
Old     (billyboard)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-20-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
Thanks KG. Glad to see you're still involved in the scene. Hope all's well.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Mr. Bender...WOW didn't even realized that was you (I feel funny now!) Yea totally, we got lots going on.

Drop me an email sometime we'll catch up!
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-20-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
I had to remove my floor to fish the cable along cause the hole that it needs to fit through is fairly small. Took me about an hour total.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-27-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
same here - just did the changeover the other day. Don't mess around, take the 5 minutes to remove the floor panel (need to loosen up the back middle seat - not remove it) and you should be in good shape. Some fishing required to get the cable under the gas tank but no movement of the tank required. My tank was full at the time. 2000 205V.
Old     (rene)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-24-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
What is the length of the cable that you needed? I nned one and one dealer says it is 17 feet the other says 19 feet.