Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (SethP)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-31-2018, 8:25 AM Reply   
https://youtu.be/_Rc8wVA2MYw

I’ve been wanting to learn raleys so bad for the past half year, but keep getting wrecked and would like a little input or at least let you guys get some entertainment from my attempts lol. I feel like I have the idea right, and can throw them consistent on a wakeskate but once the board is on I just can’t get a comfortable pull down consistent enough for me to want to commit as my last try last year destroyed a part of me I would prefer not to destroy again haha
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-31-2018, 10:18 AM Reply   
Video of the year!!!!

I can't do them so I'm no help. I've tried them on a wakeskate but kept doing the front flip thing too. I couldn't get my feet to stop going up and over.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-31-2018, 4:15 PM Reply   
Great stuff! You're so very close! That front edge must have hurt so much. I'd say that you need to keep accelerating up the wake, you eased of fractionally early. It will feel like you have a stronger pull but you will go higher/bigger and hopefully that will put you in the right position. I'd say others will give you better advice but let us know when you land it!
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-31-2018, 5:45 PM Reply   
I would go back to the wakeskate or ditching the bindings on your wakeboard to avoid those hard falls. Try a few different things with less consequence:
1. Keep your arms straight when you learn and wait to push the handle down to your front knee until you are crossing the 2nd wake (or peak of being stretched). Your arms are bent and sometimes it looks like you're pulling the handle a couple times.
2. Keep your eyes on the boat (don't look down or over your shoulder). To help me with 1 and 2, I put both hands right next to each other on the handle and kept my arms stretched out from the start of my edge until I pulled in so it would be harder to look down. Once you figure it out, you can put your hands wherever on the handle and come in with bent arms, but learning is easier if you can reduce variables until you get the feeling dialed.
3. You have the toughest part down, which is the edge and letting your hips out, but I think your hips are not properly centered. Center your hips and body over your front foot while you are edging in. It's hard to tell because your edge is cut on some of the clips, but I believe you are already doing this on your closest attempts.
Old     (SethP)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-31-2018, 6:35 PM Reply   
Thanks! I've never heard of putting my hands together but that definitely makes sense in my head. Watching the videos more I also see that my shoulders lean right on my less close attempts so that makes sense. I definitely should use the wakeskate before my next attempt, but I'm curious what speed you would suggest. My closest ones are at only 17 but I feel like the landing will be brutal if I pull it out there. Did you guys land you're first ones at a closer to normal speed?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-01-2018, 6:35 AM Reply   
Get your shoulders further back on your approach and let the tension kick the board behind you. Right now your are mule kicking a little and pushing the handle down on your way up. You lose a lot of tension that way and you will need the tension to get the board back under you. Slow speed won't help you much on this trick. Shorten the line and drop the speed to 20 or so, much slower and it just doesn't work the same.

Learning a raley should take 2 boots off the wake skate and you should land your second one on the board. It should be your 5th invert or so. Trying it too early is brutal. I landed my second attempt, it was my 6th invert (1997). I was at 60ft, 20ish mph behind an unweighted sport nautique.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-01-2018, 3:23 PM Reply   
I would agree with skiboarder about everything. Speed: 60 feet - 20ish mph. I remember I learned them over two separate days. One day was just wakeskate over and over until it felt comfortable and in control, then I took them to the wakeboard on the 2nd day after warming up with a wakeskate. I believe I landed my 2nd attempt, the first attempt I tried to pull too soon, but my awareness made the fall pretty tame.

I learned them on an '88 ski centurion, the wake was small and as much weight as we put in it, the wake was still small. Later that day, I rode behind a malibu 21 xti with only the manual wedge down, and the wake felt massive in comparison (now days, even that wake would feel small) and landed it. You definitely don't need a big wake to learn a raley and gaining the muscle memory makes it a really easy trick.

Last edited by e_rock32; 06-01-2018 at 3:27 PM.