Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-12-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
Thinking about getting this for christmas. http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...wh1/index.html let me know if you have any experience about it or know anything about it. THanks
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
It's a decent camera only shoots in 720p and has horrible stabilization so I hope you have a tripod. I would honestly spend the extra money to upgrade to another camera.....
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-12-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
So pretty much it wouldn't be any good shooting from the boat?
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-13-2010, 10:04 PM Reply   
I only used it for cable so I don't know man but I would guess because the boat is always moving unless you could stabilize it you'd be better getting something else....
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-13-2010, 11:42 PM Reply   
my friend has had nothing but trouble with it, just one person though...
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-15-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Parker,

I own two Sanyo cameras, the Xacti e2 and the FH1-A. The quality of the WH1 that your looking at falls between the two. The WH1 is a very versatile camera, and is waterproof up to about 10 feet. I would never take it on an extended diving trip, however, for shooting FROM a wakesurfer or off the back of the platform it's fun. We've utilized my e2 (waterproof) to shoot some fun angles with rails that have been waist deep in water and things of that nature. The dual camera option is also a nice feature. Very user friendly as well. As far as shooting from the boat, it can be a bit tricky. Sanyo can pack some AWESOME quality into a small camera, but with that small package, comes a bit of shakiness. You really have to have some good balance and a steady hand, but it definitely can be done. Overall, I've been very happy with my Sanyo purchases. My friend also has the camera you're looking at and has enjoyed it for the wakeskate filming he does.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-15-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
Parker,

Also, take note that while the camera does have some pretty good optical zoom, it's "HD" is in 720p at best. The "HD" title can be a bit misleading. It'll be decent film quality, but not at the 1080p level with would be "True HD".
Old     (radmattyd)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-15-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Take a look at the Kodak Playsport. I have that one and it's great for an on the boat inexpensive camera.

I always use it at 720p @ 60fps. The 1080 only shoots at 30fps.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-15-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
I picked one of these up early this summer. I think it works fine. Granted I am not a professional camera man nor am I going to even try to make a professional quality edit. But other then that I really like it.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-15-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
I'll throw my vote on the Playsport as well. I'm happy with mine. Qaulity is decent and if you have a steady arm it shoots fine. I'm no pro, just casual, but I think it's a great value for the price in a waterproof HD to use on the boat.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-15-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmattyd View Post
Take a look at the Kodak Playsport. I have that one and it's great for an on the boat inexpensive camera.

I always use it at 720p @ 60fps. The 1080 only shoots at 30fps.
I used the Kodak Playsport all the time. Its an amazing camera. Shoots outstanding video even in low light conditions. We have shot from a tube with it a few times prior to my hand breaking. It shoots gret video from the tube. The lens Stabilizer is fantastic. I bought mine off Amazon.com, I think for under $200 I got the camera, giant memory card, 2 extra batteries, and a case.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-15-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Now that I have looked more into it I think I'm just going to go with a Full HD camera with atleast 30X optical zoom. 1080p and 60fps. I want go get a waterproof case for it to go in though if possible.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-15-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
The Kodak is waterproof so you dont need a case thas what sold me on it.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-21-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
i third the Kodak my wife got me one this summer and it was hard to get over the fear of putting near or in the water !!
itch