Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-07-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
CONGRATS RUSTY... SICK RUN RATHY.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-07-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
Cool... how did the rest do?

How did Melissa do today.... can not find any results.

Also Cooper Swink?

Please post.

Aloha Joe Pearsron
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-07-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
cool, congrats rusty, was soven there???
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-07-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
Rusty,Rathy, Soven
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-07-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
sorry.... Rathy beat Rusty.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-07-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
how about the wakeskating results?
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-07-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Rathy beat Rusty = WRONG
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Rusty took first at wwc, Soven took the cup
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-07-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Correct, but watching the runs, I think both Rathy and Soven beat him.
Rusty does ride for HL, Fox, MC, and Rockstar though... so there you go. Par for the course.

Webcast is awesome. Need more of it!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-07-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
Good weekend for Hyperlite

Rusty, Rathy 1st and 2nd in Pro men's
Jimmy LeRiche 1st in Jr Men's
Nicola Butler 1st in Pro woman

Congrats
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-07-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
reed won skate. grub second.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-07-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Getting Older,

I disagree. Watching the runs also, Soven fell on a toe 9. A trick he usually sticks. I know he got up and stuck it clean but it just seemed like Soven had an off day. Rustys BS 7 off the double up was sick and he deserved the title this year with the pass he put together.

(Message edited by solo on September 07, 2008)

(Message edited by solo on September 07, 2008)
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-07-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
agreed. rustys back seven was the best. his 9 on his second pass was perfect. soven is always perfect. he needed a perfect run to win.
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Yeah, Soven was totally out of it today...HOWEVER, I'm super pumped for next year to follow LeRiche -I think that's a great pro bump, he was on point.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-07-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
Yeah... It was almost as clean as Soven's INDY back seven off the DU. Or nuke whirly 5, toe nine, heel seven, crow 5, etc..

If you don't think sponsors play a MAJOR role in podiums and heats, you are wrong.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-07-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
that was the best line up of tricks I have seen soven throw. He really stepped it up to try to win. He was taking everything huge and into the flats. I never really was feeling his riding style before but know i do!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
"If you don't think sponsors play a MAJOR role in podiums and heats, you are wrong."

Magellan, do you work in the industry? Have you managed or worked in any wakeboarding leagues or even contests?

What do think? Hyperlite said, "make sure our riders win, or we won't support WWA anymore?"

The judges picked the pass that they felt deserved to win. Not everyone will agree. It's common. It happens at our contests too.
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-07-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
did anyone see how clean and easy B Hutton did the w2w heel 9 in semis? Dont know how he lost by so much to Rusty. Could have gone either way to me though.
Congrats Rusty!
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
If Rathy would of stuck that 1080, then it would've been over. Good run by Rusty none the less.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2008, 4:22 AM Reply   
Magellan - Nobody got cheated. I was there and the Pros accepted the judging without any problems.
There was a lot of queries about Junior men. A lot. Not so much Jimmy's win but the other placings. As for the Pros .......... as jarrod said people are not always going to agree as the judging is subjective. Nobody is cheating though.
Especially the sponsors.Who exactly are they going to make their demands to anyway???
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
Magellan obviously has no idea what he's talking about but he's entitled to his opinion.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-08-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
wow....sponsors influence the outcome of contests??? that's a new one.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-08-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
I was there and I thought Soven won too. But I'm not trying to say that any sponser played a part, cheating or Rusty didn't deserve it. These contests aren't won by something like time, distance or weight. They are subjective to the judges. Just because I liked Soven's run better doesn't mean that my opionon matters whether he should of won or not. I just thought the line up should've been Soven, Rathy, then Rusty, BUT they all still podiumed and Soven took home the season title so its not like the weekend turned out wrong. I just thought that Soven's run was a little better and he did the same double up BUT with a grab. That too me means it was a step up. Rathy could've won as well as he did an aggressive run and stood up the whole 2 passes.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-08-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Rusty is the man though!! You can't deny that. He is a great champion and a great spokesman to our sport.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
I thought if there was a contention for 1st it was between Rusty and Rathy. I don't think Philip won. But everybody sees it differently and in the end the judges make the call.
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
where are the videos?? i didnt get to watch the fuel webcasts!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-08-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
I was there as well and it was tight between rusty and rathy, nobody knew, as we were all in the airport, everybody was waiting for the call, Rusty took it, Phillip rode well, but Rusty and Rathy rode better, bottom line. These finals were so sic, I was pulling for all of them really, Ollie, Watson, rathy, rusty and phillip, I like to see them all ride their best and see who pulls it out. It was some great wakeboarding for sure!!
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Watching the runs, I thought Rathy should have won. Then a toss up between Rusty and Soven. It was nice to watch watson do well in a comp, he definitely has some style to him.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-08-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
watson had an ill line as well.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-08-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
I haven't read hardly any of the post, but if you think the sponsors have ANYTHING to do with the podium, you are completely wrong! Period.

Until you see how each category breaks down you have no idea. It is impossible for someone watching to really know who won without seeing the sheets. Phil got last in the air category and that is what killed him.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-08-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
travis, did you finally get everything stuck in that little mustang.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-08-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
i dont know what exactly fits into the Air catorgory but Sovens glides and Air hits were the biggest I've ever seen him go. He was way into the flats.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Magellan,
If sponsors have something to do with who wins, dont you think Rusty would have won every PWT stop instead of Phillip? Rusty is sponsored by MC which also sponsors the PWT.
Old     (ehwake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
props to all the riders.. to all the Canadians...Rusty, Rathy, Ollie, Raph....great showing!!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
You are right Travis. When you look at the scoresheets they make it a lot clearer. Most of the time anyway. Sponsors don't buy podiums for their athletes.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
I don't believe sponsors influence the results, and I know that what the judges say goes, but every time I watch the King of Wake, I'm wondering how Rusty beat Adkinson, or J.D., or other deserving riders, but as it was said above, as a spectator, it's hard to know who won. In my own opinion, I'd be so bold as to say Phillip Soven is the greatest comp rider ever. the fact that falling on a toe nine is an off day attests to that, not to mention the crazy tricks he threw before that, and that he landed it clean the second time.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
after just watching the finals i think rathy rode better than rusty. rusty just doesnt have the style on the rails as the other guys. but if anyone got hosed it was watson. yeah he didnt ride quite as big as the other guys, but he rode with killer style and technicality and he killed it on the rails. imo both rusty and phillip dont have the rail prowess as the other guys. there is no explanation why rusty beat rathy as much as he did. yea rusty's double up was better, but rathy landed the same trick in his run which is way harder than off a double up. you cant say rathy didnt go big because he did. i just dont see how rusty beat him by an 8.5 point margin if anything it should have been less than a point. my .02
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-10-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
There are 5 categories that everyone are judged on. For the most part if you get first in that category you get 20 points, second 18 points, third 16 points, fourth 14 points, fifth 12 points. Some categories are weighted more heavily, so the numbers are a little different. So that is where the margin comes in.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-10-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
We didn’t get to see the live webcast due to time zone issues. Just watched the replay...

Rathy absolutely killed it - back 7 off the wake!!! AWESOME!!

Congrats to all the riders - keep on stepping it up and throwing down hammers!
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
i understand travis and i understand that if i saw the score sheets i could understand it easier. but with that being said from a spectators eye it seemed way closer than the score made it. by the way the score was it made it seem like rusty blew them out of the water which he didnt. i understand that falls dont hurt your score but when someone doesnt fall in their run i would assume that they would get a few more points for it. plus i think steeze on rails should be accounted for and by my view rathy, olli, and watson all had more steez than rusty. i just think it should have been closer especially since rusty only had a better trick than rathy and that was the double up, but rathy did pull a back seven in his run off the normal wake. i just think they need to go over the scoring and tighten some things up cuz it was way closer than the score made it seem.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
im not trying to take anything away from rusty he killed it and the toe 9 he did in his second pass was sick as hell. im not saying he shouldnt have won im just saying the score shouldve been closer.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Here is how the points are assigned for each of the 5 categories. This is for a 5 person heat. The individual who wins the category gets the most points and then each place gets 10% less. If someone landed a 1080 they would get 22.5 points for spins, the next best spinner would get 20.25 points even if their "biggest spin" was a 540. From what I understand no ties are allowed within a category. In the pros there is a seperate judge for each of the 5 categories. In Jr Men there are only 3 judges so 2 judges have to do 2 categories.

Upload
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-10-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
where can i watch these runs at?? i dont get fuel tv and didnt get to watch the live webcast! i really want to see these guys rippin it up!!
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Here is a hypothetical example of how the scoring could go. All points are assigned unless a rider fails to land a trick in a category, i.e. if a rider fell on every "tech" trick (mobe) they would get 0 points for that category instead of 5th place points.

Upload
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
svt600- go to King of Wake, click on the live webcast for Fuel and then you download whichever finals you want.I did it earlier
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-10-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
Phil got robbed.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
agreed, just watched the replay, I have to admit, Rusty was riding really fluid, which, in my opinion he doesn't do very often, but he does mobes that make me kinda mad, and I think it reflects the new scoring, soven won't do a whirly dick 7 cause he only needs to do a five, rusty only doin back 1's with his inverts cause technically it's still a mobe. I know a lot of people like the new scoring, but I'm not too impressed with it. They give people 1st 2nd and 3rd for spins rails etc with set points for that placement??? to me that doesn't make sense, it splits the scoring up way too much and it seems to me like thats where rusty got the lead. I don't see how he won spins [fall on h/s 7, b/s 7 topped by phils grabbed b/s 7, t/s 9 matched by soven, back 5 was good], I don't see him winning big air [small approach], I could see him taking tech [toe back 1, heel back five, lots of backside spinnning mobes] also, what are the placings based on? that being said I understand it's very difficult to devise a scoring system, I'm just a little upset with the results. Is this the DRIVE system?
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-12-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
i think with rusty and phil both falling and rathy doing the most tech trick and best spin in the whole contest with the back 7 off the wake he shouldve won both of those categories. olivier rathy and watson were way better than rusty and phil on the rails. so i think phil didnt get robbed if anyone rathy and watson got robbed

(Message edited by jsweat on September 12, 2008)
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-12-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
actually Raphael Derome got the most robbed. that kid is ill for rill.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-12-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
i think you mean olivier derome, raphael got second in jr mens