Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-20-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
Okay, looking for some opinions on this:

I'm obviously looking for the most boat for the money - which would give me the best deal?

1. Boat show price on a new boat

2. Buy a 1 year old used or "old stock" new from a dealer.

I don't really know - just how good a deal can you get at a boat show?

I know that this time of year and in the coming months is a great time to buy from a private individual due to most people packing it up for the winter, so that's the other option.

Thanks.
Old    hyperryd            11-20-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
Buy a 2004 that some body spent a fortune on after the sale and is selling with all of the toys.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
David- Great question and one most of us have toyed with. IMO, most of us go with the boat show deal. It's the best deal around with lots of extra's and the price reduced. Plus you get a brand new boat with all that. So for the first year you are sportin the most up to date of that manufacturer. True, it only last one year, but you also get a boat that someone else hasn't scratched, knicked or worn. Now, beyond that and more important, you get a full warranty! Which is worth gold in the boating industry. But you may say that only lasts one year too, right? Wrong! Most boat warranties come with a limited lifetime warranty on the hull. Which is the most expensive aspect to repair when there is a problem. Now you can get that transferred for a nominal fee through most manufacturers of say a few grand plus or minus. And beyond that, the one year covers everything else. And most manufacturers will offer a three year extended warranty for free if you buy at the boat show. The same is true for manufacturers and private sellers when it comes to the off season. 80% of boats are sold at boat shows for a reason!
Just my $.02
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-20-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
BUT, I would never count out the possibility of buying a left over stock. Rare, but could fend to be even a better deal. As for buying from a private seller, it had better be a smokin deal! And they are out there! This is why you always explore every option, but in order to explore every option you need to be armed with the tools to assess every option. And this is exactly where to get those tools. Good luck!
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-20-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
I got a left over new boat and got the dealer to hold the paperwork until boat show time when they were offering 2,000 worth of upgrades. You have the most bargaining power right now when the dealers are trying to clear out stock. If having the newest thing is important buy at the boat show if getting a great boat at a reduced price is important buy left over.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-20-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
Great info Kraig and JD. Thanks.

I'm looking for the best deal for sure. Ultimately, I'm thinking that my choice will be between an X-2 or a VLX. I don't care which to be honest, as long as each is optioned moderately. I'd like to get a 2004 of either boat for under $40k, but I've only seen that deal a couple of times on each. A 2004 X-2 I saw with 115 hours on it went for $39,600 and there was a Malibu dealer in Atlanta that had an 04 VLX with 50 hours for $39k.

Good point on the warranty Kraig. I guess buying at the show would get me that 3 year extended warranty, which as you mentioned, is golden.

Anything specific that I should be armed with as far as pricing goes if I'm going to buy new at a boat show? What would I potentially be able to "push" to get them to throw in that maybe they otherwise wouldn't if I didn't ask? Racks? Speakers? Warranty? Other simple add-on options like shower or heater? Should I be looking for XX% reduction off of retail pricing? Rebate? I don't know what to expect as I've never even been to a boat show.

Feel free to add if you have any other tips. Thanks again.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-20-2004, 5:34 PM Reply   
It also depends on how picky you are. Will any boat and/or color do as long as you get a deal? Cause if you are looking at left overs, BTW does anybody even have any, they are usually left over for a reason.

Buying used, maybe they didnt keep it like you would keep it or treated it how you would.

So if your gonna plunk down $40K + for a boat, go new and get exactly what you want. Cause a year or two from now, heck a month or two, the extra $2 or $3K wont mean a dang thang.

Old    brodster            11-20-2004, 10:34 PM Reply   
I bought a new 05. Ordered it in late August and the Dealer is using it in the Boat Show in February. He gave me an incentive for this, plus the Manufacturer threw in a bunch of "Bling Bling", including Stainless Steel acc, engine upgrade, etc... Because I bought it now, I got it a 04 pricing which saves about 2-4%. Way better deal than waiting for the 05 Boat show. I agree with S Dub, go new! If your spending that much, get what you want. Just be smart about it.
Old     (kvkev)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-21-2004, 5:48 AM Reply   
If you do buy used. Ask the seller to let you take the boat to a shop that can check the ECM for trouble codes and do a compression check. You may drop a $100.00 bucks doing it, but if you are serious about the boat, is piece of mind that your purchase was good, worth it! Try and have the sellers dealership do the check so you can ask some questions and possibly hear good or even bad things about the boat you are Buying.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-21-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
all good tips again. Thanks a lot.

Barry - good idea with that 05.