Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-25-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
So I have been reading peoples forums about which cleaners are the best and work the best. I’m a bit anal when it comes to keeping boats and cars clean. I currently use turtle wax wax-n-dry after I wash the boat each weekend and whenever I want to get the boat a quick rub down. I have been using this stuff forever on my previous boat and all of my cars after I wash them and I think it works wonderful. It leaves a waxy haze but thing that a microfiber rag can’t wipe off and it leaves a great shine and smells great. I wax my boat at the beginning and end of each season and this has usually keeps the wax on the boat. If you haven’t ever tried this stuff its great. I have a black truck and this stiff along with the Turtle wax black detailer my truck stays clean

With that being said after reading previous threads I have been thinking about venturing out and trying something new. I have used babes before but In all honestly I felt like my Wax -n- Dry worked better but maybe that just me. I didn’t find that the vinyl cleaner really did that great of a job either so I have been using some Maguire’s for that.
If anyone has some good experience with any one these please give me some as I’m looking to order some new stuff pretty soon. I looked at both of their websites and both look like pretty good products but down here in Louisiana its hard to find any of these products on shelves so before I order one. I was curious to see what other wakeworlders have to say.... I’m not looking for bashing of products as they are all very good just looking for people that have used them all. Thanks for the help
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-25-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
i used the turtle wax - wax n dry for years before switching to babes in 2012. personally i haven't noticed any improvement since i started using babes. i am speaking specifically about the exterior, but could probably say the same thing about the interior products (previously used 303 with various cleaners). am kind of committed now that i bought a gallon, but will likely go back to turtle wax after i run out early this summer. haven't done a cost comparison, but believe babes is only slightly more expensive.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-25-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
I use all the boat bling products and could not be happier. I ordered the four pack the first go around that has a spray bottle of each product and have since ordered the larger refills for the Vinyl Sauce and the Hot Sauce. The Vinyl conditioner keeps things nice and soft and the Quickie Sauce is a very easy way to do a good wax job. I have been very pleased with all these products and have always just ordered them from their website, very easy to use and delivery is quick and as promised every time.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-25-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
^^^^ x2
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2013, 11:50 AM Reply   
stay with turtle wax
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-25-2013, 11:56 AM Reply   
^x3 Turtle Wax, cars & boat. This stuff works great.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-25-2013, 12:08 PM Reply   
Here is another option, I have been using Driven To Perfection products for the past five years. The quick spray concentrate works great for removing water spots, keeping a high gloss shine, smells good and is very economical. I have applied it in direct sunlight, with never an issue of streaking. If you purchase the 4 pk, one bottle ($15) makes 4 spray bottles. Its a great value and I have been very pleased with it.

http://www.driventoperfection.com/sh...ct_detail&p=18
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-25-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys. I have been looking at these products and the price they cost along with shipping it starts getting $$$. The Turtle Wax wax -n dry cost all of 7 bucks and is available at almost every automotive store which is convient. I buy 3-4 bottles at a time as I love this stuff. But I have heard people raving about these other two products and open to trying the out.

I really have been looking at the boat candy waxes they offer and seem to be really awesome between the compound and polish. Any one try these yet?

Last edited by davez71; 03-25-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-25-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
my boat sits in a boat lift all season. I take it down use it, and put it back up. i have not tried any of these products and have basically given up on dealing with water spots. Usually I just end of season (maybe sometimes mid season) use a hull cleaner then rewax. If I do mid season I just do it while in the lift using biodegradeable hull cleaner.

the boat bling hotsauce is advertised to remove hard water spots and mineral deposits. Can anyone vouch for if it really does? Then the drill is that you have to use it every time you use the boat? Or once in a while?

Dave, does the turtle wax n dry remove water spots and such? What is your process?

Last edited by scottb7; 03-25-2013 at 1:13 PM.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-25-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
my boat sits in a boat lift all season. I take it down use it, and put it back up. i have not tried any of these products and have basically given up on dealing with water spots. Usually I just end of season (maybe sometimes mid season) use a hull cleaner then rewax. If I do mid season I just do it while in the lift using biodegradeable hull cleaner.

the boat bling hotsauce is advertised to remove hard water spots and mineral deposits. Can anyone vouch for if it really does? Then the drill is that you have to use it every time you use the boat? Or once in a while?

Dave, does the turtle wax n dry remove water spots and such? What is your process?

I use BB on my black boat. In the past I have tried a lot of things to help with the water spots and nothing other than vinegar/water would cut them for me. The issue with vinegar and water is it removes the wax on the boat and it stinks. I waxed my boat 1 year once a month and still felt like it needed it more often when using the vinegar. Used some 3m products and Babes and did not find anything that worked well. The BB hot sauce removes the majority of my spots with nothing more than a spray and wipe with The Absorb-er. Sometimes I have to work harder if I have been on the lake all day and some spots dried while I was on the water. I do use it after every time out on the boat and that is what makes it easier to wipe down each time with out having to over use the product. If you skip a day you will have more trouble getting them off next time. 1 bottle lasted me the whole summer I put around 125hrs a year on my boat.

Since these type of threads are not uncommon I will say different types of water will have different results.

Last edited by FunkyBunch; 03-25-2013 at 1:48 PM.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-25-2013, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I never really used it to try to remove water spots. I remove those through waxing/buffing twice a year and since I use this stuff religious I never get water spots. My process is simple. After each use i usually just hose the boat ad let it air dry in the lift. Then at the end of The weekend I use Armoral wash -n wax soap to wash the boat hose it off and while the boat is still wet you spray turtle wax n dry. Once I have sprayed the whole boat I come back over with a towel and dry the majority of the water off then follow with a microfiber rag. This give the hull a great shine and help keep the wax on the boat. I apart this stuff on my power tower, speakers, and etc. I use it on my cars doing the same processes and leaves my black Truck as smooth as a baby's bottom ha. Great stuff just wonder what else is out there. You should try turtle wax if you haven't.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-25-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
Funny, I use the same stuff as the OP. Turtle wax outside and Maguires inside. Both good products IMO.
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-25-2013, 1:44 PM Reply   
Hmm...maybe I keep things too simple...I use a $20 Walmart 10 inch orbital buffer to apply Meguires Flagship marine wax 2x's a year. Between those I just use a few already damp towels that accumulate at the end of the day to give a quick 2 minute wipe job while it's still wet....one minute job with a buddy...and wala no water spots
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-25-2013, 5:53 PM Reply   
None, use collinite.
Old     (Diggertaker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-03-2013, 8:08 PM Reply   
Either you guys all have white boats or the water you boat in is perfect. If I dont hot sauce my blue hull after everytime out the hard water spots litterally bake into the gel. I also used Turtle wax as u dry & Lucas Oil slick mist with pretty good results. These both add a good coat of wax but the trouble is they wont take off the baked in spots without rubbing super hard. I have since switched to Hot Sauce which is great for the spot problem. Gonna try Performance Boat Candy next. Point is, if you dont have super hard water in your lake or mineral deposits you can probably get away with the just a cheap wax as u dry type product, not in my lake however!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-03-2013, 9:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggertaker View Post
Either you guys all have white boats or the water you boat in is perfect. If I dont hot sauce my blue hull after everytime out the hard water spots litterally bake into the gel. I also used Turtle wax as u dry & Lucas Oil slick mist with pretty good results. These both add a good coat of wax but the trouble is they wont take off the baked in spots without rubbing super hard. I have since switched to Hot Sauce which is great for the spot problem. Gonna try Performance Boat Candy next. Point is, if you dont have super hard water in your lake or mineral deposits you can probably get away with the just a cheap wax as u dry type product, not in my lake however!
I used a gallon of Hot Sauce last season on my black Axis. I live in Texas so I know how the sun can bake water spots as seen on other boats. I wax my boat twice a year and recently started using Speed Gloss. After applying and wiping it off it has more shine and slicker finish than the Hot Sauce did. It applies just as easy with a fine mist with good coverage area and wipes easy with no streaks or residue.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-04-2013, 5:03 AM Reply   
I just got done doing threes steps of boat candy wax (cleaner, polish, and gloss) and I would highly reccomend it. My boat looks better than it ever has. It is the first boat wax I have used on it but am very happy how it turned out. I also bought the quick spray detail from boat candy but have not used it yet.
Old     (k59)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-06-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
As for the vinyl, maybe someone can provide guidance, but I was recommended to try a product that I hadn't heard of before by a local upholstery repair shop. I had JUST purchased some Boat Candy Vinyl Cleaner for a (premium) price, and wasn't happy to learn that this stuff you can buy at AutoZone or WalMart works better than ANYTHING I've ever tried on my (damn you Sanger) WHITE vinyl upholstery at removing dirt and grime. The stuff is called Purple Power and I guess is similar to Simple Green in the type of cleanser that it is. Literally works like magic, compared to ANYTHING I've ever used. And I'm talking compared to the StarBrites, BoatBling, BoatCandy (no offense to these manufacturers). I'm sure it has negative effects in terms of stripping any kind of preservatives from the vinyl, which is why I always follow up with a professional vinyl conditioner by a trusted manufacturer like one of the aforementioned.

Plus, it's abut $5-6 bucks for a gallon at AutoZone.

Your thoughts?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-06-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by k59 View Post
As for the vinyl, maybe someone can provide guidance, but I was recommended to try a product that I hadn't heard of before by a local upholstery repair shop. I had JUST purchased some Boat Candy Vinyl Cleaner for a (premium) price, and wasn't happy to learn that this stuff you can buy at AutoZone or WalMart works better than ANYTHING I've ever tried on my (damn you Sanger) WHITE vinyl upholstery at removing dirt and grime. The stuff is called Purple Power and I guess is similar to Simple Green in the type of cleanser that it is. Literally works like magic, compared to ANYTHING I've ever used. And I'm talking compared to the StarBrites, BoatBling, BoatCandy (no offense to these manufacturers). I'm sure it has negative effects in terms of stripping any kind of preservatives from the vinyl, which is why I always follow up with a professional vinyl conditioner by a trusted manufacturer like one of the aforementioned.

Your thoughts?
You might want to check your owners manual because most will say NOT TO USE Simple Green, Armor All, 409, Fantastic, Son of a Gun , or Murphy Oil Soap.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-06-2013, 10:38 AM Reply   
i also stopped using simple green/purple power. what worried me wasn't the vinyl, but the damage it might have been doing to the stitching. can't say it was absolutely doing damage, but didn't want to risk it. i may still use it once a season for a deep cleaning, but plan to follow up with 303 protectant.
Old     (PBC)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-06-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by k59 View Post

Your thoughts?
Someone forwarded me this post, so I'll chime in to answer to the best of my ability since I think you should hear an opinion from one of the manufacturers mentioned here.

While I can't speak for any of the other manufacturers, I can tell you that our products are manufactured, designed, and tested specifically for use on boats by some of the most respected boat builders in the business. Specific to your application, our Vinyl Clean and Vinyl Condition products have been tested by vinyl manufacturers themselves to ensure they do the best job possible while not causing any damage to the materials to which they are applied.

As a boat owner, you want to ensure you' re not using a product that removes or strips any of the plasticizers out of the material, especially because it could void the manufacturer's warranty and replacing vinyl is a very costly venture. Applying a conditioning product over the vinyl after the plasticizers have been compromised won't necessarily undo the damage that has been caused.

Our philosophy is to provide the best products possible without creating any adverse side effects or potentially cause damage to the surfaces where they are applied. We provide products to the most discriminating boaters in the market who demand the best and a trade off to testing, creating, and ultimately bringing products to market with the best ingredients available, is they tend to be more expensive than other products because they simply cost more to manufacture. Some of our ingredients come from other countries, and are costly to acquire for manufacturing, hence the "premium" brand category label given to high quality products.

I always tell people that if you have something you like, then stick with it regardless of manufacturer or price. However I would suggest you contact the manufacturer of any product that touches your baby (aka boat) and ask them whether it's safe for your specific application. Otherwise a few dollars saved now could end up costing thousands more in the long run.

I hope this helps give some perspective from a manufacturers point of view.

Tim
PBC
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-07-2013, 7:19 AM Reply   
Great post Tim!

So my experience has been only Boat Bling and feel that I didn't have to venture out since their products really work. Inside and out the product is amazing and does really what's expected. I left my boat in Lake Powell for 1 week and forgot to grab my wipe down gear (Vinegar & Water) so I knew I needed some really good product if I was going to leave it in 95+ deg for a week. Once I got back to the boat and used it for 2 days I decided to not wipe it again since the forecast was rain my whole 7 hr drive back home. I figured I was in a world of hurt but not to worried since my boat was pretty new and had a good wax on it but it was pretty bad. I used the spray on and spray off technique and was impressed with the results. A couple hours later my boat was show room ready inside and out with Boat Bling...
This pic you can really see the baked on water sports on the MB logo and the scum line towards the bottom. Both pretty much wiped off with ease.
Name:  551623_4082598835115_1368850849_n.jpg
Views: 4552
Size:  77.9 KB

This is a close up of my black hull with the baked on water spots. Spray and wipe and your done.
Name:  557289_4082617595584_1518765699_n.jpg
Views: 4244
Size:  68.7 KB

Why not try it on the rims...
Name:  394315_4079872166950_1077891730_n.jpg
Views: 4421
Size:  121.0 KB

Here's the interior completely cleaned with Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce and then with the condition sauce.
Name:  257267_4144623265687_139181482_o.jpg
Views: 4396
Size:  65.1 KB
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-06-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
See attached for this years line up. I don't know if any of it is any good. But honestly I just could not see spending $22-25 a bottle for any of the "fancy stuff".

Hull cleaner biodegradable $13...works good can use on the boat in the lift as biodegrable. maybe a little itchy if it gets on you but does not burn off your skin.

Turtle wax polishing compound...label says removes light to medium swirl marks and scratches like $5 or $6

Mothers carnauba cleaner wax, removes oxidation, ...like $8

Armour All wash/wax detailer with carnuba wax $6, can be applied wet or dry, in sunlight or not, restores water beading ...contains carnuba wax just like boat candy speed gloss

ice premium care turtle, interior cleaner and protectant non greasy formula cleans conditions and protects,uv protection, no drip formula like $6 or $7.

yeah, i know it all sucks...but i am trying it anyway.
Attached Images

Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-06-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
I use speed gloss by boat candy for water spots and it works leaving a nice slick glossy appearance... JMO
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-07-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
OK so I am going to say sorry for the long post but I want to give everyone my complete review.

I Have a 2013 23WB as a test subject.

So I started by completely washing and putting on a good coat of machine applied wax on 3-16-23 in prep for this test.

We took the boat out on Saturday 3-23-13. We put in at 10 am and pulled it at 5 pm. We boarded, skated and surfed and ate lunch in the boat. This is a normal day for us. We had a small crew only 6 of us.

We pulled boat and had all my friends as usual wanting to help clean and I said no. My nephew and I wanted to do it all so I could keep the results fair, so I sent everyone home.

We started on the interior. We cleaned half with Babes Seat soap and then applied Seat Saver like we have done for years. The other half we used Boat Bling. Vinyl sauce first then condition after.

They both worked great on cleaning the vinyl equally well. When it came to conditioner Boat Bling won hands down. It left it feeling way more supple. You can tell it penetrated better and will make our upholstery last longer.

Now the exterior, I did the interior first so I could let the exterior dry.I did the exterior by myself so I could do the exact same procedure for all 3 products. I figured any product would work fresh out of the water. I wanted to see what it would do with dry water spots. I tried 3 product Babes, Bling and Boat Candy. I took blue tape and taped 3 equal section along the back corner from top to bottom. All 3 sections were in the black area of our boat (water spots really show in black).

Babes was first, a few squirts and a quick rub and wipe. It left water spots everwhere. I rubbed harder and most but not all came out.

Next was Boat Bling Hot Sauce, a few squirts and a quick rub. It was all gone and looking great.

Next was Boat Candy, a few squirts and a quick rub. It was also all gone.

At this point I decided to do one half of the boat with Bling and the other half with Boat Candy. The boat bling came off easy and left a spot free shine and a nice wax coating behind. I also used less towels than I usually use when using Babes. Next I moved over to the other side and started using Boat Candy. I applied it and starting wiping. It took more pressure and a longer time to get it off. So I used less product and it became a little easier to remove but still took longer than the Bling. When finished I rechecked the look of both sides. Both sides were clean and spot free.

So in my opinion, Boat Bling is superior of the three product.

I took before and after pictures of the exterior but they didn't come out good enough to post.

Last edited by ktm525; 04-07-2013 at 8:18 AM. Reason: spelling