Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    balldwg15            07-20-2004, 6:15 AM Reply   
I have recieved advice to build my own homemade pylon. Need comments from anyone who has done it. How did it hold up? What kind of boat? Was it easy to take down?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-20-2004, 9:39 AM Reply   
Check on www.diytower.com
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-20-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
Build your own pole
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-22-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
Don’t do this. Come on, a homemade pylon, Jesus, has anyone looked at the websites yet. Now you have to look at the yellow boat a few times, study the picture to get a good feel of what “Homemade” is. Man, I mean one more time look. Look at the boat, look at the dudes, look at the swing set, and look at the rope and make note of the beer can on the, well I guess it’s the engine hatch. You tell me what the hell is going on. Disaster that’s what. No more homemade posts, or how do I fix my broken rope posts. There should be a “Save Money” post. No more drinking beer with the boys and kicking around the “tower idea”, I can see it now, “Don’t worry dude she’ll hold, my old man is a television repairman he’s got this ultimate set of tools, I can fix it.” Please, that is just asking for a helicopter ride. Save you money and go buy a tower, or a pylon. I know we all don’t have a money trees in our back yard, but at some point your going to have to pay to play. Or you will end up paying for you buddies medical bills when that toad comes pulling off the back of the boat wasting people as it clears the boat. Stay strong…
Old     (tigebob)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
Hey tyler, I have a extended pylon for sale it a skylon two piece, in great condition, for 175.00 plus shipping postme back if ur interested
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-22-2004, 9:51 PM Reply   
"Turkish",

You seem to always be angry for no reason. You know, the real Turkish was a much cooler character.
Old    tcboarder            07-23-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
i wonder if that wood tower is ridden off of or its just used for board storage. cuz that doesent look very safe for riding.
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-23-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
after 3 days that tower would be garbage out in the sun all day in the rain it would warp
Old     (skerzz)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
"after 3 days that tower would be garbage out in the sun all day in the rain it would warp"

Nope. It is pressure treated lumber. That tower would last a good 10 years.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
If you trust your own building capabilities you should be able to make a pole, tower or other contraption without incident.
I trust myself, and as proven from my many projects of the past and track record, encourage others to try things out as well.

The first pole I built was out of PVC pipe in 1995...long before others were even considering a device of this type. This pole lasted about 1.2minutes...and failed!
The 2nd generation was a 4X4 pressure treated wood fence pole cut to 6ft. IT WORKED AWESOME. Only problem was that the wool had a flaw, and began to split down the middle. It still worked for about a month without incidient, but needed to be replaced. The last generation was the pole I built in the link above. This pole lasted thru the summer of 2000! 1995-2000...do the math...and I only had to replace the eye-bolt and sand and paint some spots every year due to saltwater corrosion.

I have answered over 100 email questions regarding building your own pole/tower...and I am thrilled that what I have done can be an inspiration and help to others.

To be honest...the pole I built was far steadier than the ZeroFlex tower on my MC, if you can believe that...which most of you won't

All those that doubt...go right ahead and doubt...till you try it. If your anything like me...you will overbuild it and never have to worry!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-23-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
On our last boat we built our own tower out of stainless. At the time we didn't have over a lot of money to spend, it ended up costing us about $500.00 rather than $1000.00 or more. We never ever had a problem. I just wish I had pics.
Old    scotto            07-25-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
hey ma can I steal half of the patio cover?