Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-09-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Thinking about hitting either the Kaskaskia or Meramec tomorrow. Anyone been out on either. Which one would you suggest. Also, any obstacles to look out for??
Old     (wl4th)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-09-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
ROCKS!
Old     (chadfowler)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-10-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Kaskaskia looks great, Meramec has been falling fast I'd be leary of heading out, there will be quite a few shallow spots.

I went up the Illinois River on Friday, it was in awesome condition
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-11-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
Kaskaskia was a bit more muddy than usual Sunday and the current was also moving faster than normal, but generally that river is one of the best areas around St. Louis to ride.
Old     (hyperlite1622)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-11-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
try the mississippi in alton or saint charles there is a couple sloughes there that are great but the illinois in nice all the time nd the mermac is falling way fast
Old     (chadfowler)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-11-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Went to the Meramec today, it was awful!

Very windy and quite a few shallow spots.

That place is a pit........
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-12-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Chad, do you get over to the Kaskaskia very often? Maybe I've seen you out there; what do you ride behind?
Old     (chadfowler)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-12-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
I've been over there a few times, I just bought an '06 24SSV Supra this summer, it's white with red lines and "launch" graphics on the side.

I've had it out twice this year on the Kaskaskia, once was in June and the water was awful. It was high and windy, I went out again about a week ago and it was in pretty good shape.

The problem with the Kaskaskia is that it is to crowded some weekends; during the week is awesome!

I love the Illinois because you can always find great water no matter what day.

And from my house they are both about the same distance: 45 min to an hour.
Old     (bobo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
Where do you guys launch on the Illinois River? I've never been on it but I've heard so many good things I'd like to give it a shot.
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-12-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
I'd like to know that too. I live in St. Charles County and it takes me about an hour and a half to get to New Athens to put in on the Kaskaskia. Not too bad, but wouldn't mind a shorter drive.
Old     (chadfowler)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-12-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
I put in on the Missouri side of the Mississippi and then head down river to the mouth of the Illinois. Depending on where you launch it can take anywhere from 10 min to a half hour to get to good water on the illinois.

Last year I launched at Riverside, here is the address: 600 Kampsville Dr. St. Charles, Mo 63301(636) 946-5535. It's not bad, $10 to launch. Good ramps, ample parking. It's a good 20 min by boat to get to the Illinois though.

There is also a place called Heartland Marina, 800 Wilson Road, St. Charles, MO 63301(636) 250-4480. Great ramps (not to steep)and ample parking. It is also closer to the illinois. The people who run it are really nice and helpful; also cost $10. The downside to Heartland is that it is behind an island and it gets a little shallow (3 1/2 - 4ft) just as you pull out from the island. At least that's the way it was last year. I haven't been there this year.

The other issue I have with heartland is when you drive back there it's a little sketchy. Not that I'm a snob, I can hoosier it up with the best of them but you have some true "River Rats" down there.

I've found a new place this year that I like called Port Charles: 6247 Hwy V St. Charles, MO 63301, 636.250.2628. This is where I put in for the first time on Friday. It was good; again $10 to ramp, nice big courtesy dock and clean rest rooms. Plus it's the closest of all 3 to the Illinois.

The downside to Port Charles is there is only one ramp and it's steep; I didn't have any issues though. The other problem; there is not a whole lot of parking which wasn't a big deal on a Friday, I'll be interested to see what it is like on a Weekend.

Where ever of the three you decide to launch you'll be in the Mississippi River on the Dardenne Slough. To get to the Illinois head south, the Dardenne meets up with the main channel and then about another 1/2 mile down meets up with the Illinois right at the town of Grafton. The just head up the mouth of the Illinois.

There are some shortcut between the islands that shorten the trip but if you're first timers on the river I would recommend going the way I suggested unless your follwing another boat between the islands as it can get shallow.

The Mississippi doesn't have bad water either, especially in the Dardenne Slough. The Illinois is just a little clearer & warmer right now plus you can always fine smooth water even on the weekends if you go up far enough so that's why I like it.

I'll be heading up on Saturday if you're out we'll have to meet up........
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-13-2008, 5:37 AM Reply   
... or you could take the ferry across the river from St. Charles and put in at Pere Marquette (free launch, nice ramps and plenty of parking) and be right on the Illinois and just head north out of there. When we hit the river that is where we put in.

Just my .02
Old     (chadfowler)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-14-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, but that puts another half hour to 45 minutes on your drive. At least from where I live.

How is the harbor at Pere Marquette, it's usually really shallow and not maintained; nice FREE ramps though. Have you been out there this summer?
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-15-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
So it looks like it's going to be nice again this weekend. Who in the area will be out riding and where at?
Old     (bobo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-15-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
Two other guys and I are going to put in at Pere Marquette and head north. I've got an old Ski Nautique if anybody wants to ride up and say hey and teach us how to ride =)
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-15-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
Mike, what day?
Old     (bobo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-15-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
We're going up Saturday morning
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-15-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
Unfortunately, I've got to work at the dealership on Saturday. If you're ever looking for someone to ride with though drop me an e-mail don@classicmarinellc.com
Old     (chadfowler)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-16-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
I'll be out this afternoon on the Illinois, I have to work until noon so it will be 2pm or so.

I'll be looking for ya...........
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-16-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
I'd like to join after work, but I won't have my tow vehicle.
btw, if anyone's looking for something to do on the last Sunday in August (the 31st) my dealership is doing a Slow Ride to Fast Eddie's. We're going to start off at a local marina and then head up to the restaurant for lunch then go find somewhere nice on the water to spend the rest of the day. All are welcome to join. Just give the dealership a call for the details (meeting times, places, etc.)