Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    stormrider            01-12-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
Before discussing the problem, let me say thanks to Bruce Hubbard at On The Edge Watersports for explaining how to solve the problem and saving me a lot of money in the process.

Problem: because of the fires, ash and very finely ground plant material has washed into the lake and is now floating in random pockets across the water. The stuff basically has the consistency of coffee grounds. Most wakeboard boats suck water in off the surface to cool the motor and other components.

Watch your temperature guage closely as the cooling system can VERY QUICKLY become clogged. I know, it happened to me. Sunday, two other boats were tied up to the dock with overheated motors. I hear other boats overheated on Friday.

Here's how to unclog the cooling system-- at least on my Moomba. I believe it also applies to MC and Nautique: find the intake hose and follow it to where it connects into what I believe is the transmission cooler, a paper towel sized metal tube with two oil lines going into it.

At the front of the tube there is a grate. This grate is what is restricting the ash from flowing through and this is where my cooling system clogged up.

Your boat may be different, so check the mfg specs or with your dealer. BUT ONE THING IS FOR CERTAIN, IF BOAT TEMP RISES QUICKLY, IT IS NOT A BROKEN GUAGE.

Thanks again to Bruce for explaining the cause and the cure and saving me the time, hassle and expense of a trip to his place for repairs!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-12-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
I'd also recommend having a replacement water pump on board at all times, because sometimes those things just go especially if there is fine debris running through your system.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-13-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
get a sea strainer from www.skidim.com or somewhere else. it will stop crap from circulating through the cooling passages in your engine and make cleaning the intake easier.

good pointer though, it seems around here the water has more crap in it in the winter and spring. catching a clogged intake can make the difference in saving your engine from an over-heating death.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-16-2004, 11:45 PM Reply   
Wow Steve, you weren't kidding! That stuff is nasty. At one point yesterday the spray off the boat turned completely black - pretty disgusting. The stuff floating by the launch ramp is pretty thick and it's everywhere so I can see why it's causing a problem. Unfortunately it seems that the problem is only going to get worse if we get any decent rains in the next couple of months.

But at least the water level is coming up - the main ramp has 2 lanes open again.
Old    stormrider            01-19-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
Bill: Did the city post a sign at the launch ramp advising of the potential danger? I'd hope they'd post this warning.

The owner of a nautique tied to the dock said his motor clogged up before he even got out past the first line of bouys! I'd hate to see somebody smoke a 10k motor.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-22-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
Steve, no sign posted. But one wasn't needed today because you almost had to wade through it just to launch! It's now piled up on the shore and launch ramp (only main ramp is open by the way, 2 lanes) and very thick in the launch area. The wind was blowing almost directly out of the east so it was pushing all of it to the ramp area, but we found plenty of it still floating in the lake too. I didn't overheat but Greg did in his brand new 04 SANTE. Unfortunately for him he couldn't get the sea strainer off so he had to call it a day.

This is what my trailer looked like after pulling the boat out. Luckily it apparently dried up and blew off on the drive home.

crap in San V
Old    beerdrnknboardr            01-22-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
Well atleast now you know why it was smokin and good to hear it wasnt an expensive problem
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-23-2004, 10:50 PM Reply   
so has anyone mentioned to the people who work at the lake when they are going to start cleaning it out, instead of all four lifeguards hanging around in the shack all day?

Or is it going to take the users of the lake to clean it ourselves? I will be sending an email to the city lakes dept to see what will be done about this problem.

Also anyone who uses the lake please email the city lakes dept to let them know it needs to be cleaned. Granted its the fires that caused it, but we need to ride, right?

I wanted to go out riding but do not want to overheat before the first person is done riding.

How about all of wakeworld emailing them? That would be great.

tell them to clean the lake... San Vicente

ssmith@sandiego.gov.

Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-24-2004, 7:59 PM Reply   
we overheated yesterday too - after riding for about three hours. we were headed for the dock to call it a day and it heated up really quickly. i removed the strainer (as i had at least once already that day) and cleaned that out.

luckily, we were done riding for the day and we made it back okay. i did a flush on the engine today for about 10 minutes.

i agree that something could easily be done to clean up all that crap - especially when it all blows into a certain area. it's all right there just waiting to be scooped up...

i'll send an email. good idea glenn.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2004, 12:23 AM Reply   
so the city now has to take care of mother nature related problems, doesnt the govt have enough to deal with and now they need to worry about peoples wishes who are out just playing when there are people who dont have med coverage, cant eat, or the kids that are being abused??? Yall in Ca kill me :-)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-25-2004, 11:20 PM Reply   
We pay to use the lake, so it seems reasonable that they need to maintain it. A typical day at San V will run about $35 for a boat with 4 people using the slalom course (best water on the lake). That's a lot of money to have to deal with floating crap that could pretty easily be cleaned up, or at least an attempt made.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       01-25-2004, 11:34 PM Reply   
"when there are people who dont have med coverage, cant eat, or the kids that are being abused??? Yall in Ca kill me"

Yall LOL Ok close the lake and send all the money saved to the kids that are being abused!!!! Oh by the way, me the rich boater gave about $2000 to all of the above this year.

I would think the county can keep one....hmmmmm oh the only fresh body of water in SD county in usable condition. To strain the lake I bet would cost a fraction of what they make in usage fees in a month.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
Bill J i didnt realize they rape you that bad in CA, $35?? Damn thats alot to just put your boat in the water. Maybe why id never live there. Ill stick to my salt water, then again if they could strain the salt out for us (and i could get my crew to pitch in) id be willing to pay 35 every time to do that so i dont have to dunk in salt all the time.....nahh thats still too much money, ill just keep flushing and get rid of the boat in a few years.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            01-26-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
Does anybody have pics of all of the debris floating on the water? Also, recent pics of the lake and how the surrounding are is doing after the fire.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-27-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
how do you people afford to ride in CA??? Damn with the state income taxes, fuel taxes, and lake fees, I guess you guys can only have one hobby and donate all your disposable income.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            01-27-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
the reason the lake fee is so high is because he included the extra slalom course fee in there. You dont have to pay that unless you want to be one of the few boats in the slalom course area of the lake. However, it gets so crowded at times you almost have to get in there for good water
Old    stormrider            01-27-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
Hey, Jim: everything's burned, including the island. Interesting in another sense, with the chaparral gone the old wagon roads and Indian trails can be followed (as you may know the San Diego Union called me in a big article a few years back a "noted expert on Indian trails"). There's a major trail coming out of the Kimball arm, leading up to Ramona. My guess is it was the trail the Spanish missionaries used when they first explored the backcountry. Deep trail, potshards, miner's stuff, glass, other detrius, blah, blah, blah.

Looks like some of those hillsides are just gonna avalanche into the lake once it starts raining. I kinda like the look of the hillsides without the chaparral. Grasses will quickly come back and if we keep the chaparral down, they'll be more deer, mountain lions and other critters.

Kinda eerie looking up at the houses on the east side of the lake since I think 4 of the people who died lived in those houses. 3 people died trying to run down the path from the houses to the lake.

Lake's a mess; I am really lucky I did not smoke my motor. Dropping it off at Bruce's tomorrow to install a strainer/motor flush connection. I am going to start riding in the bay. San V's either windy, overrun with fishermen, chopped out or now ash covered. Remember the days where we'd get a slalom pass just so we could ride 15 minutes each hour, which gave each of us 1 15 minute ride in a four hour day?

Well, at least I still have my powder blue pole and banana hammock strung up so I can take a break after working on my Vulcans and S bends. Figure I'll nail down those pesky toeside wake to wakes first thing.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-27-2004, 9:27 PM Reply   
This pic was taken 2 weeks ago and gives a good idea of what the lake looks like as far as the burned hillsides surrounding it.

Steve that's pretty interesting about the trails. Next time we're out I'd like to hear more about them.

Old    wakeboard_iraq            01-28-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
I cant believe the island burned too. The intensity of the fire there must have been incredible. Hopefully the rains will start lightly allowing the grass to re-establish and hold the ground prior to hard rains. However, I think the lake will be a mess for a while.

Good to hear the you still have your pole & hammock. Those S-bends and Vulcans do take a lot out of you. haha

I finally nailed down the W2W toe sides and the W2W 180's (one side only so far). back roll is alive and well - as long as I dont hit it hard. I think I have figured it out enough to give some pointers. Still no joy with the 360's yet - keep getting pulled over the front. Not enough cajones to try the raley yet - although I want to badly. "Nothing hurts as bad as a raley gone wrong" keeps going through my mind.

Give me a call some time and we'll make a trip.

Bill, great pictures as always.
Old    stormrider            02-04-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Since some who may be planning on riding at San V in the coming weeks I thought I'd give this thread one more ride down the list.

The lake has got to be a mess now after the rains. Anybody with some info, let me know as I plan on giving it a shot on Friday-- this time with a sea-strainer installed in-line on the cooling system.