Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (alteczen)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-13-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
I need some suggestions on digital camcorders...

I'm looking to spend around $800 and I'm looking to get the biggest bang for my buck. I will use this primarily for wakeboarding but the occational family event to... I'm a total newb with cameras but pretty tech savy and learn quickly.

Any suggestions would be awesome. I would really like to produce some good quality clips that I will edit so keep that in mind. If I'm better off waiting and spending more money let me know...

Thanks for the help.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-13-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
check this one out.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=415307&is=REG& addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-13-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
also looknig for an entry level--any thoughts on mini dv vs. dvd?
Old     (alteczen)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-14-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
I found this...
http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6530_7-6509027.html?tag=txt

Are the cameras here and in the Prosumer group a good place to start?
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-16-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
If you want great colors then you need to make sure you get a camera with 3CCD's. That is the main feature I would look for if I were you. If you have an HDTV, then maybe you might want to get a HD capable camcorder instead. But you can't get both 3CCDs and HD for that price range. As far as recommendations, I don't know. We used a small 3CCD Camcorder as a third camera for The Book Wakeskate Series. I am not even sure what the model was. We got it on eBay new for like $500. We used that camera for the "feet close-up" shots. The colors were very nice in good-lighting situations, but took a dip in quality quickly once the sunlight went away.

(Message edited by Mike McLin on June 16, 2006)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-16-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
I think you're going to get better video quality, especially if you're going to do any kind of CG or video effects, if you stick with miniDV. That mpeg2 format those DVD camcorders use just doesn't lend itself to that.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-16-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Any thoughts on either of these?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11112941&whse=BC&topnav=&brows e=

or http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11105931&whse=BC&topnav=&brows e=

not sure if the links worked but the two Panasonics listed at Costco.com. Thanks for any input!
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-16-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
ps...Mike, loved the Book and have two of the wakeboarding dvd's--they have helped my riding a lot!!!
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-28-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Tracy, we have the Panasonic that you linked to (the first link you posted). We shot it side by side with the Sony VX2100 for The Book Wakeskate. That camera is a good value. The main things I didn't like about it was the fact that there wasn't a zoom ring (there were the normal zoom buttons). I prefer using the ring because you can ease in and ease out your zooms. Also, the low-light performance wasn't the greatest. But if you have sunny condiitons, this camerra looks just as good as cameras 3-4x as expensive. Also, if you are going to be using this camera as a "home movie" type of camera, then it is great because the size is EXTREMELY small for a 3-chip camcorder. I would imagine that you'd be very happy with that camera.

(Message edited by Mike_McLin on June 28, 2006)
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-28-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Mike - my plan is to use it mostly for wakeboarding footage and general home use, so mostly outdoors. Hopefully this one will work decently! Any tips on filming wakeboarding in video--at this point I have done a lot of digital and SLR still shots but not much video at all. Thanks!