Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-26-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
the la times had an article about diamond lake and how it hasn't turned into the crowd-pleasure/revenue-generator they thought it would. perhaps now is the time to renew the 'open-diamond-lake-to-boarders' campaign?

some excerpts from the article (http://www.latimes.com/travel/outdoors/la-os-diamond20sep20,1,4491189.story?coll=la-headlines-outdoors):

Casting call
Diamond Valley Lake near Hemet opened in 2003 to big hopes. The man-made reservoir is now one of the state's best fisheries, brimming with trout, bass and catfish.
By Hugo Martín
Times Staff Writer

September 20, 2005

quote:

Franco's voice booms loudly over the water, but it disturbs no one. His boat is one of only two dozen vessels on the massive, 4 1/2 -mile long lake. It cruises near a cove where a new boat launch was supposed to have been completed — to potentially put more boats on the water — but that project, like so many others at Diamond Valley Lake near Hemet, is on hold.

quote:

Two years ago, the lake opened as the biggest man-made reservoir in Southern California with the promise of becoming a regional recreation center and one of the best fisheries in the state. At a cost of $2 billion, Diamond Valley was engineered from the bottom up to be an angler's dream and a tourist draw for struggling local communities.

Instead, the lake is a conundrum. It is brimming with stout largemouth bass, hungry rainbow trout and giant catfish, but it's devoid of the throngs of recreational users that officials predicted would follow.

quote:

Some say the water body is simply too huge for many fishers to master. Others suggest the ban on swimming, jet skis and old, polluting boats keep people away. It's hot here too, and the shore and surrounding hills are brown and barren.

The lake's operators are reluctant to invest in new amenities such as an extra boat launch, a swimming park or trailer campgrounds until more visitors come. The Catch-22 means Diamond Valley Lake is one of the state's great fisheries that few people ever discover.

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-26-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
With all those big hungry fish I'd be afraid of getting my winky bitten, no me gusta. Damn the fishermen and their strong lobby. They always ruin good riding lakes.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-26-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
It woudl be great if they opened the lake for wakeboarding but I doubt it will happen. Sounds like a good fishing spot if that is what you are into.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-26-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
http://www.dvlake.com/rules01.html

Let's see:

No Camping
No Wakeboarding
no Swimming
NO BEER!!!!!

So a beautiful Reservoir in the middle of no place draws no crowds because you can't drink beer, go for a swim, and take a few pulls on your wakeboard. GO FIGURE.

Gee, let's all jump in the truck to bake in the sun at Diamond Valley Lake.

Might as well put a bullet in my head as I pass through the gate.
Old    waterdog2            09-28-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
The press keeps hyping the lake, trying to get more fishermen. The sad fact is that the fish per acre is still way to low. The trout are now at 75 feet, wich means troling with lead core,BOREING! The bass only come up to the shallows for about 3 months. most bass fishermen dont want to drop anchor and fish from 50 to 100 feet, its not the norm. They are in the process of building the camp grounds, and that stupid museum.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2005, 10:11 PM Reply   
I knew this would happen. I say we just keep away until they call "uncle" and go broke. If there were an abundance of lakes in this area there would be no problem...there would be so many to choose from they could do what they want. But since there is such a limited supply of recreational lakes, they are in a bind. Then not only will they allow us in but they will have so much revenue from us they will be able to build all the ammenities that we require...and that is not much. A nice ramp, marina, and just a decent place to wakeboard!! It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-29-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
The only reson it was built at all was for San Deigo, when the big one hits Cali, San Deigo would have had no water, because of where the fault line is, so they made the lake and from the getgo they where not going to let rec users use the lake. It sucks California sucks they dont let you do anything out there and thats why I moved away about two years ago to Texas and I dont miss Cali at all. At least out Here you can carry a gun and YOU OWN youre property not the state, well at least thats what Cali thinks you even have to get a permit to take a sh## out there.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-29-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
Thanks Stack!

It is operating at a $1.2 annual deficit. Now that is how you run corporate america these days Not a so called public water agency.

Prediction:

DVL will always operate at a deficit until they open it to water contact activities.

"But the fishing is great" from what the article said it's not.

You would think there would be more water skiers, tubers, wakeboarders, and air chair, dudes, and family boaters then FISHERMEN?

This state is way too liberal, it will never change with all the tree huggin enviromentalheads either.

If I can run my boat in a lake, they can filter it by the time it gets to my house I am sure about that.

Will DVL open when San Vicente closes for 3 years in 2007?
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
Many municipalities pull their drinking water from surrounding rivers then purify it. There is even commercial boat traffic on these waterways so I doubt that a few recreational boater would ruin any drinking water.............
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-29-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
ya the whole non-contact policy is suspicious given that every other body of water we use for water supply has major boat/human contact.
Old    wakeskirider            09-29-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
I know sacramneto pulls its water from the River. It is the tree huggers that screw us over. I know of several lakes in the southern California area that have the "no human contact" policy and alowe boats. That would be no big deal. But, these same lakes some how don't believe that wind surfers make contact with the lake and let them use these lakes.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-29-2005, 10:03 PM Reply   
I believe the lake was built after they put the issue to voters. At that time, it was to be a "recreational" lake. Sometime after the Bond passed, something polical happened and it became a "no body contact" body of water. We boat and swim here in So Cal on many lakes/ reservoirs that are meant for holding our drinking water. Fact is whether it comes from Lake Pyramid or Diamond Lake -it goes through the same filtration/ purification process. So why isn't Diamond Lake open to all recreation???? That area could pull in griploads of money with marinas, campsites ect.....It would definitely be the largest lake in the area
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-29-2005, 11:20 PM Reply   
Something political always happens to this state. This state is not just liberal...it's ultra liberal...way beyond human comprehension. Voting means nothing. The liberal groups will find a way to negate everything. I think the water company and the environmental schizo's had everything to do with the decision. All of you guys are right about the other lakes...the water can be purified. If they can purify the contamination that happened to New Orleans they can certainly purify a lake. I am still going to wait and see....... Why are they closing San V? Same reason as Perris?

Moving to Tx was a smart move. I will be moving soon too...Oregon or Missouri. Then the illegals and liberals can have the place.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-30-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
You guys are on the money. Yeah, they passed the bond saying that it was going to be a huge recreational area. Then they pulled the bait & switch on us. Stupid MWD. Hope they get a clue soon. I'm drinking a glass of Canyon Lake as I type this. Can't find an icon that looks stupid enough.

M.O.B. - Oregon or Missouri???? Would really miss you here, but be envious as hell about your "escape"!!!!

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 30, 2005)
Old    stormrider            09-30-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Two years ago I made some calls on this and recall that it was the Orange County water people who voted to nix water contact on the grounds human contact would pollute a drinking water source. I agree, the water is going to be filtered so there argument doesn't make any sense. If this were a business, they'd be bankrupt.

Anybody ready to let the environmentalists and other liberals run anything else?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-30-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
Great mug shot pork chop....haven't seen you look so good...ever!!! I will e-mail you.

Steven...I think the question is what don't they run. Hey...I LOVE your quote. Right on!!!