Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
hi...i am trying to get more height when i jump, but for some reason i only get about a foot off of the wake, as much as i try its not going any higher.
my board is an LF board with a continuous rocker its a 138.
someone plz help me, i need air to move on to trying tricks that need air!...thanks for any replies!
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-20-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
what kind of boat are you riding behind?
and how are you edging into the wake? are you edging all the way up the wake?or flattening off your board at the wake?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-20-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
I am not one to talk cause I can barley go wake to wake...but I seem to get more height then length I think its cause I lean back at the wake and I go up insetead of out.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
well i edge through the wake. but it seems that the top of my board goes way high, and the bottom is just like a foot above the wake.
the boat i use is a tiara 27ft w/ twin inboard 170hp deisel engines, i have all the power i need and the wake is pretty big.
please help me :S
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-22-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Jacques - any pics of you hitting the wake by any chance? Would be much easier to give you tips if we see what you're doing.

If the tip of the board is going up in the air, and you're not level, you've got way too much weight on your back foot. Try and even out your weight distribution, and stand tall while you're leaving the wake.
Old     (ebone66)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-22-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
Not an expert but I had the same issue when I was starting to learn how to get air. You're probably still leaning back against the boat when you hit the wake which shoots the front of your board in the air. Try flattening out and standing up at the wake.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-22-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
bla bla progressive edge.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
today i tried putting more weight on my front foot, and sure i leveled out.....at about a foot above the water :S i would have uploaded a pic but my picture filesize is too big.
i dont understand, the wake is fairly large and i hardly get any air!
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
PROGRESSIVE EDGE aka edge out and cut back in slowly building up your speed. Try jumping HS it's more comfortable than TS. Edge ALL THE WAY UP the wake in a seated position. When you get up to the top of the wake try to sort of push up with your front foot. When you reach the peak of your jump push the handle down to get some extra height. Keep your chest up and stand tall.

It just takes practice. Try practicing edging up to the wake and then cutting out right before you jump it just to get your progressive edge down.

Good Luck! I've been working on this myself. You get the hang of it after a while
Old     (jtd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
Yea I'm working on it too....what do you mean "push up with your front foot?" I've heard the other stuff b4 but I don't understand that part.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
hmm...i'll try doing that next time i go out, becouse one time i got up to nearly 4 feet in the air, but i was pissed(not drunk...mad) so i did something, i just donno what/how i did it. So edge all the way thru with the most speed i can get then push off with my front foot?
p.s....most of the time i go off of the left side of the wake, cuz im goofy...and the edging will be heelside.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-23-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
It's hard to explain w/out showing you. You just push off the wake with your front foot to get momentum. Just don't forget to level off or else you could have some ugly crashes [trust me] All you do is put more weight on your front foot while in the air to do that. You don't need to edge in really hard. Just practice your form jumping to the middle of the wake and then edge in w/ more speed to take it w2w

If I'm still not making n/e sense just ignore the push w/ your front foot part. You'll get it.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Thanks Emily for making an excellent attempt at explaining it to me, ill try what you said and see how it goes, then ill repost on this thread.
i will probably be going about wednesday so ill see how it goes. Thanks again!
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-23-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
your welcome Jacques

I'm glad you could make some sense out of what I was saying. I'm not exactly the best teacher in the world
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
stomp the back foot down, pull the front foot up. Weighting or pushing off your front foot will throw your balance balance off. Emily descibed a good technique for edging to the wake.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
btw...what speed should the boat go for my level?.....Emily, please dont say that u are Emily Copeland :S....haha
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-23-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
lol I wish I could say I was Jacques. Being a pro would be epic!

Are you going w2w yet? I ride around 22-24 mph when I'm jumping. It all depends on the wake, the boat, and how much it's weighted. I find that a steeper wake makes it easier to jump, but it's really just personal preference.
Old    hyperlite_m            07-23-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
try riding a little faster i ride at 21.5 and also cut hard and try to "pop" off the wake once u edge towards the top when u get to the top stand tall then pull ur knees up and u will find u get more "air"... i am 13 i almost get wake to wake with 4 feet of air... then again im light and hitting a wake half the size of me...
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
haha, ok, i usually ride at 18/19 but im not going w2w yet, i have this "phobia" of falling very hard and damaging my knees, but you all probably think that its weird. i dont know how to overcome this, but i am trying, as much as i would like to progress in wakeboarding.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
I totally have that fear too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Don't think just do [which is a whole lot harder than it sounds I know]

It helps a lot to fill up the boat with people who motivate you [or someone you want to show off for ] I know it motivates me to ride at my best and try things I normally wouldn't try. When I went to wakeboard camp a couple of weeks ago I was I was learning a new trick everyday cause of the people I was riding with.
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Thats cool, ill keep that in mind for next time i go out. I have never been to a wakeboard camp, but i wish i could go! lol
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-26-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
If you ever get a chance to go to one go. It helps with your progression so much and it's a lot of fun